Transitioning to a plant based diet! (first day)

Options
Hi everyone! I have recently decided to start following a more plant based diet due to ethical reasons & to see if it would help my anxiety. Today was my first day and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me! I don’t eat pork or red meat at all and cut that out last summer and Right now I am going to switch to vegetarian first. I am still eating a small amount of dairy and eggs. Which will be the hard part to cut out lol. Taking it one step at a time and definitely could use any tips/support ❤️
Here is what I ate today:
Breakfast: quick oats cooked in water with cinnamon, frozen blueberries & a banana.
Lunch: went to chipotle with my mom and got a salad no dressing, added black beans, salsa, corn, and guacamole.
Dinner: chick pea “meatballs” and spaghetti with marinara
I also worked out and did circuit training burning 326 cals. I’m 5’1.

Replies

• rayraynicole15
    rayraynicole15 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    What was your protein and fat for the day? It is hard to tell from a list but it looks like you could be low on both depending on quantities.
    Protein: 43 grams
    Fat 36 grams so I’m under for both.
    Went over on fiber and carbs 😳 still trying to research some good recipes especially to get protein in!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    There are more plant based options than ever out there now for people who choose that lifestyle. I am not plant-based, but I have started to switch out some of my beef for plant based burger options. I have somewhat more limited options than you do in the US, but I am enjoying the Field Burger as a replacement.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    As long as you are aware of it you should be fine. Obviously one low day is no big deal especially with eating one of your meals out.

• rayraynicole15
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    As long as you are aware of it you should be fine. Obviously one low day is no big deal especially with eating one of your meals out.
    Thanks for your answer!! Definitely need to get my protein up tomorrow that is my biggest concern and goal!

• rayraynicole15
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    There are more plant based options than ever out there now for people who choose that lifestyle. I am not plant-based, but I have started to switch out some of my beef for plant based burger options. I have somewhat more limited options than you do in the US, but I am enjoying the Field Burger as a replacement.

Yes we are getting a lot more options here in the US for sure! It definitely helps make the transition a little better! I’m going to have to try the Field Burger!

• AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly plant based. But 100% vegetarian :) occasionally I'll have something that has egg. Feel free to add me, my diary is open so take a look if you need some ideas. Good luck :)
  • rayraynicole15
    Options
    AutumLeaf wrote: »
    I'm mainly plant based. But 100% vegetarian :) occasionally I'll have something that has egg. Feel free to add me, my diary is open so take a look if you need some ideas. Good luck :)
    Thank you so much I’ll definitely add you! Right now I’m transitioning into fully vegetarian gonna limit my meat intake to once a week. I love egg and dairy so that will be the hardest part for me but I’m not gonna rush it! Just trying to do as much research as I can!
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    AutumLeaf wrote: »
    Thank you so much I’ll definitely add you! Right now I’m transitioning into fully vegetarian gonna limit my meat intake to once a week. I love egg and dairy so that will be the hardest part for me but I’m not gonna rush it! Just trying to do as much research as I can!

I should probably point out that I'm a carb queen and struggle with my protein intake but I always have even when I did eat meat. But I've never been a big meat eater anyway. Always preferred vegetarian options.

Not rushing and doing your research is very wise :) each lil step you take is a step forward.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    "Plant based" does not have a specific meaning other than "eating mostly plants." You don't have to make your diet fit any of the established labels if you don't want to, but it's important to be clear about your dietary needs and what you are asking for help with.

If you want to cut out all animal products, then you are looking at a vegan diet (or a vegan lifestyle, if you stop using other animal products in your life). If you want to eliminate foods that directly involved killing an animal (such as meat, gelatin, broth, etc.) then your diet is vegetarian. There are various other labels such as pescatarian (no meat except fish), ovo-vegetarian (no meat or dairy, but eggs are okay), lacto-vegetarian (no meat or eggs, but dairy is oaky), etc.

I'm a 14 year vegetarian. When I started paying attention to my protein intake, I realized I needed to be very intentional about getting enough, since I don't necessarily crave protein-rich foods. If I'm not being intentional, I will grab carbs over protein every time.

If you eat dairy, then Greek yogurt is a good protein source. Protein powder or bars may also be good options. Most protein powders/bars are whey based (dairy, meaning they are not vegan but are usually vegetarian), but there are many vegan options as well.

I also eat a lot of TVP/soy curls, since they are relatively high protein and low calorie. These products are just dehydrated soy, so they are vegan. Like tofu, they don't have a lot of flavor on their own. I usually rehydrate them, squeeze out the extra water, and then marinate them in the fridge for several hours.

My usual menu looks something like:
    Breakfast: Greek yogurt with protein powder, PB2, and fiber cereal. Black tea. Four or five cups of it.
    Lunch: leftovers. Sometimes a Quest bar or two if I don't have time for a meal. Sometimes a pint of Enlightened. Don't judge. Decaf iced tea.
    Snack: Protein bar, granola bar, dried fruit, etc. More decaf iced tea.
    Dinner: Veggies and protein with sauce. Tonight it's an "egg roll bowl:" stir fried tofu and slaw mix veggies with a soy sauce based seasoning and dressing of light vegan mayo mixed with Sriracha. You can guess what I'm drinking by this point.
    Dessert: Half a chocolate bar that I split with my husband.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    Right now I’m transitioning into fully vegetarian gonna limit my meat intake to once a week.
    Sounds like a good plan.

After completing the transition monitor your vitamin B12 on a regular basis. Vegetarians and Vegans quite often have problems with sufficient supply.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian (ovo lacto) for 45 years (yes, since 1974). I don't eat imitation meat, protein powder or protein bars (nothing wrong with them; just don't like 'em, personally), and get a minimum of 100g protein daily (in maintenance, at 5'5", weight mid-130s - I do use a good bit of dairy, personally, though I think I could hit my protein goal without it).

My advice would be not only to look for "one big protein" in each meal (the way omnivores think: "What's for dinner?" "Chicken" ;) ). Instead, for sure include major protein sources you enjoy, but also look to get little bits of protein in pretty much any calorie-dense thing you eat. Those little bits throughout the day can really add up. There are veggies with protein, grains with more protein, even fruits with protein. Most plant foods have only incomplete protein (not the full complement of essential amino acids in the proper ratios), but by varying your sources and getting plenty of protein grams, you mitigate that incompleteness. (Soy foods and quinoa, among others, do have complete protein).

This thread is a great source:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. As a veg, you'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things at the top of the list, but you'll find many veg-friendly sources further down the spreadsheet. Eat the ones you enjoy.

If you completely eliminate animal foods (dairy, eggs), you'll want to pay attention to certain micronutrients: Iron, calcium, and B12 are important ones, though I'm not going to try to give you a whole treatise here on veg nutrition. The bottom line is that your nutritional needs as a veg are no different than the needs of omnivores (don't let the more extreme advocacy sites try to tell you otherwise!). The only things that differ are where you get those nutrients (and some will require a bit more thought/attention). Malnutrition doesn't happen immediately, so you have some time to figure this all out.

A particular thing that a lot of omivores aren't aware of, that's helpful for fully plant-based folks, is nutritional yeast. Most brands are B12-supplemented, it's got a bit of protein, and has a vaguely cheese-like taste. You'll find it in quite a few vegan recipes.

Overall, for eating satisfaction, I find it important to accent umami flavors. Some veg foods inherently are umami (mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, toasted nuts, etc.). There are also umami ingredients you can use to add that richness: Dark miso, unsweetened cocoa (try it in veg chili), kombu, and some others.

If you want to see what I eat, feel free to friend me. I'll warn you that now, in year 3 of maintenance, I don't log completely every day.

Best wishes!
  • veganbytheseaxo
    veganbytheseaxo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    congratulations on choosing a kinder diet! i have been vegan for a while now and i have been able to come off my anxiety and depression medication.

i highly recommend pinterest for recipe ideas, i get 99% of my meal plans from there.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I've been veg for about 13 years now (vegan for the first two, vegetarian since). It's all about getting a varied diet. A lot of the veg people I know love spice (myself included), which can help keep things varied. There are a lot of great recipe resources out there. My diary is open if you want to poke around, and I tend to log pretty consistently.
  • rayraynicole15
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Since you will have cut out the majority of a carnivorous diet you more than likely will be depleted on eccential BCAA's of leucine, value, & isoleucine.

It's very important to your health to retain muscle mass. Without leucine (3-4g per meal recommended)muscle protein synthesis cannot take place.

I would suggest to supplement this meals you are very low on the essential amino acids.

Barbell Medicine has a high quality pea protein isolate that matched the protein/bcaa compared to whey if that is something that you are concerned about.
    I drink BCAAS mixed with water during my workout would it be a good idea to drink it through out the day? I have a pea protein powder not sure if it has a lot of BCAAS in it! Will have to look , thank you for this info!!
  • rayraynicole15
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »
    I've been veg for about 13 years now (vegan for the first two, vegetarian since). It's all about getting a varied diet. A lot of the veg people I know love spice (myself included), which can help keep things varied. There are a lot of great recipe resources out there. My diary is open if you want to poke around, and I tend to log pretty consistently.
    Added you!

• slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. I've been vegetarian for 26 year with several stints of vegan. I do find it easier to get levels of protein for me from dairy and eggs, but it is definitely more than possible without. I like faux-meat but I find the added salt and other bits to be less to my liking so I try to go for the most natural sources as I can find and mix it up. I am a bit fan of seitan, the store bought is overly salty, but it is reasonably easy to make at home. It is pure gluten though, so if you are gluten sensitive it will not work for you. It is by far the most protein dense vegan option. Tempeh, sprouted tofu, beans peas, quinoa are all great sources of protein. I use pea protein in some things as well, but it still tastes like peas so best mixed inot things and not alone. Broccoli and asparagus are actually pretty good protein sources as well. Good luck with your journey.