Eating calories burned

Should I be eating my calories burned? I've heard varying opinions on this!

Replies

• lyuro57
    lyuro57 Posts: 10 Member
    This is why I posted the question. Many people say don't eat them, then I have others who say you should. I haven't been, but since I've increased my workouts I've found myself hungry more, tired, etc...
  • lyuro57
    That's my thought. Some days my net calories are like 500-600 a day, it was my understanding that you should never eat below 1200. Well if I'm eating 1200 but burning 500+ that seems terrible for my overall health.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    You are the only one who can answer that. You have to experiment and find what works for you. I eat mine back but others don't.
    There is no one size fits all.
  • lyuro57
    I've been tracking for around 1.5-2 months. I've lost 12 lbs.
  • lyuro57
    Which is what I'm aiming to do, don't get me wrong. But I want to do it in a healthy way!
  • Clarisse_McClellan
    Clarisse_McClellan Posts: 44 Member
    It depends on you and how you're trying to lose. I think MFP's calorie recommendations are off for me, so I've figured out my calorie needs before exercise using the Mifflin-St. Jeor formula and am trying to eat 3500 fewer calories for one pound loss per week. I like to exercise, but I don't like to depend on it for any weight loss, because I can't guarantee that I'll be able to work out a given number of days per week. (I'm a homeschooling, SAHM.) I get maybe 800 calories from exercise a week, so that might be an extra pound a month. I don't think it's significant enough to worry about right now.

If I felt hungrier from the exercise, which I don't usually, I might eat up to half the estimated exercise calories back but no more, because it's hard to know how many calories you're really burning. Even a Fitbit isn't completely accurate, because it's based solely off your heart rate. If you want accurate calorie burn you need to use one of those breathing masks & instrumentation that measure actual oxygen consumption. And let's face it. That would be pretty annoying. ;)
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    jemile250 wrote: »
    If you are trying to lose weight, you must burn the calories.

Not to the point of risking your muscle mass though.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    jemile250 wrote: »
    If you are trying to lose weight, you must burn the calories.

No, absolutely not.

The calorie allocation MFP gives you already includes a deficit. If you follow it accurately, you'll lose weight whether you exercise or not.

Exercise is good for health, but increasing your deficit probably isn't. Undereating can cause all sorts of problems. So when you burn calories through exercise, you should eat them back. The whole 'eat half' thing is just because a lot of people and devices overestimate how many calories are actually being burned.