Women Who Lift

Replies

• aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    dimasj wrote: »
    I am new to lifting, have been a cardio queen most of my adult life. Do any of you post your workouts so that I can get ideas of what other women do in the gym?
    Right now I spin about 5 days a week and try and lift 4-5 days too but I am just sort of winging it and doing an upper lower body split but not really sure what exercises are best.
    Any advise and or routines would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

This link contains a list of lifting programs to get you started
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That's how I came across Thinner Leaner Stronger. I'm really enjoying that program with a few minor tweaks (removed calf exercises and added extra upper body) .

I downloaded the audiobook Thinner Leaner Stronger and it is absolute torture - it's like listening to a condescending robot who just learned to read last week. :neutral: Maybe the written version is better - there is a 100+ page PDF included with my download maybe I will just use that.

Nope, I found the book to be same tone, but at least you can speed read through the annoying bits!

I am finishing up Week 5 of TLS and still don’t know what I think. I stopped doing the recommended HIIT volume after week 2 because I haaaate bike sprints (which he recommends) and the HIIT videos I enjoy are too much for my hips when combined with 5 days of heavy lifting. I could feel an injury lurking one heavy squat away.

After that I feel better, and my weights are improving almost every week for at least 1-2 lifts (I beat my PR for deadlift and bench), so I do like that. I am pretty sore from pushing so hard, so even if I weren’t going on vacation this week I might have done a deload week instead of trying to finish out 3 more weeks.

And I couldn’t last 3 days with his calorie recommendations, which he said weren’t low carb but pretty much seemed that way for me once I hit the protein (though that itself was Herculean for a vegetarian, since a good bit of my protein comes with more attached carbs than meat I suppose). I think for losing he wanted me at 1378 without adding anything back for the 5/week lifting and not much of anything for the 3-4/week 30 minute hiit sessions. I was starving. So back to MFP recommendations with a protein emphasis.

I haven't listened to the audiobook, just read the hard copy. I just purchased the eBook of the new version. I'm reading through it. He did change his calorie and macro calculations. Right now his recommendation is 40/40/20 P/C/F which I still find unmanageable (I need more fat and slightly less protein), but his calorie target was more on target for what I've figured out works for me. He also changed the workout plans in the bonus material. So far, I much prefer the new workouts.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    dimasj wrote: »
    I am new to lifting, have been a cardio queen most of my adult life. Do any of you post your workouts so that I can get ideas of what other women do in the gym?
    Right now I spin about 5 days a week and try and lift 4-5 days too but I am just sort of winging it and doing an upper lower body split but not really sure what exercises are best.
    Any advise and or routines would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

This link contains a list of lifting programs to get you started
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That's how I came across Thinner Leaner Stronger. I'm really enjoying that program with a few minor tweaks (removed calf exercises and added extra upper body) .

I downloaded the audiobook Thinner Leaner Stronger and it is absolute torture - it's like listening to a condescending robot who just learned to read last week. :neutral: Maybe the written version is better - there is a 100+ page PDF included with my download maybe I will just use that.

Nope, I found the book to be same tone, but at least you can speed read through the annoying bits!

I am finishing up Week 5 of TLS and still don’t know what I think. I stopped doing the recommended HIIT volume after week 2 because I haaaate bike sprints (which he recommends) and the HIIT videos I enjoy are too much for my hips when combined with 5 days of heavy lifting. I could feel an injury lurking one heavy squat away.

After that I feel better, and my weights are improving almost every week for at least 1-2 lifts (I beat my PR for deadlift and bench), so I do like that. I am pretty sore from pushing so hard, so even if I weren’t going on vacation this week I might have done a deload week instead of trying to finish out 3 more weeks.

And I couldn’t last 3 days with his calorie recommendations, which he said weren’t low carb but pretty much seemed that way for me once I hit the protein (though that itself was Herculean for a vegetarian, since a good bit of my protein comes with more attached carbs than meat I suppose). I think for losing he wanted me at 1378 without adding anything back for the 5/week lifting and not much of anything for the 3-4/week 30 minute hiit sessions. I was starving. So back to MFP recommendations with a protein emphasis.

I haven't listened to the audiobook, just read the hard copy. I just purchased the eBook of the new version. I'm reading through it. He did change his calorie and macro calculations. Right now his recommendation is 40/40/20 P/C/F which I still find unmanageable (I need more fat and slightly less protein), but his calorie target was more on target for what I've figured out works for me. He also changed the workout plans in the bonus material. So far, I much prefer the new workouts.

Dang, that is TIGHT on the fat. I much prefer 40/30/30 (C/P/F) (what NROL recommends, and I've seen it recommended much on here). I personally find 40/25/35 or 45/25/30 work for me, I get a few more calories (breastfeeding) and 25% protein really satisfies the generous recommendation of 1g per 1lb body weight (not lean body weight, total body weight). 40% protein would be an insane amount of protein!
  • tthickens637
    tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
    Here’s how I’ve been shaping up in just under 5 months on 40|30|30 (C|P|F) with progressive heavy lifting and a very small (150-200 daily) deficit! Not too shabby 🙂 Not even 4 pounds lost between the two!

l83g0oxoz4vx.jpeg

I love how the body shape changes sooo much even when weight doesn't. Thanks for sharing your great accomplishment - very inspiring!!
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member

Dang, that is TIGHT on the fat. I much prefer 40/30/30 (C/P/F) (what NROL recommends, and I've seen it recommended much on here). I personally find 40/25/35 or 45/25/30 work for me, I get a few more calories (breastfeeding) and 25% protein really satisfies the generous recommendation of 1g per 1lb body weight (not lean body weight, total body weight). 40% protein would be an insane amount of protein!

I'm currently doing ~40/30/30 on C/P/F, though as long as I hit protein, I let the other two fall where they will (usually a little over on carbs and a little under on fat). That puts me slightly under the 1g protein/1lb of bodyweight though (currently 148 lbs). I just don't think I could push protein higher than the 130g I currently aim for without adding in shakes and cutting something else out.

• tthickens637
    shxcghega2ba.jpg

I did TLS for a whole year. I'm on my second book. I fell off a bit with my diet and I've been trying to get back on board. His macros were sets for too low in fat for me but the calories were good for a cut.

TLS?? You look awesome! Very inspiring -Thanks for sharing!
  • Bend_and_sway
    Bend_and_sway Posts: 22 Member

TLS?? You look awesome! Very inspiring -Thanks for sharing! [/quote]

Thinner Leaner Stronger by Mike Matthews
    It's an amazing book and program with a journal you can order.
  • tthickens637
    shannmcq45 wrote: »
    Hey women! I'm glad I found this community. I started lifting last September and cannot believe how much better I feel. Stronger and more confident. I'm a BEAST with yard work now!! Removed a tree by the roots myself!! Okay it was a small tree. But still looked impressive!! I started out "skinny fat". Now I'm focusing on adding muscle weight. Particularly to my quads and upper glutes. (So as to tighten the loose skin on the back of my legs). I've noticed myself nit-picking my body with things like cellulite. I know it's normal and most women have it and blah blah blah. But I'd like to minimize the appearance and I found that the thin sagging skin that comes with getting older (45) is a big part of it. So I'm seeing success with drinking a lot of water and keeping skin moisturized. Okay I've rambled on enough! Just wanted to check in and say hello! You all inspire me! 😄💪🏻🎊🎸

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm facing same issue. I'll give it a try!💪
  • tthickens637
    TLS?? You look awesome! Very inspiring -Thanks for sharing!

Thinner Leaner Stronger by Mike Matthews
    It's an amazing book and program with a journal you can order.[/quote]

Ooh, gonna check it out. Thanks...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    shxcghega2ba.jpg

I did TLS for a whole year. I'm on my second book. I fell off a bit with my diet and I've been trying to get back on board. His macros were sets for too low in fat for me but the calories were good for a cut.

I have those leggings! :p
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm feeling a little ambivalent at the moment. I feel like I need a little break, but I only have a week left until vacation. I'll have a week or two off in June and then might not have access to a gym in July. Then I'll have to figure out how to build back up again once I get my schedule back to normal. I'm thinking of pushing through squats and bench tomorrow, and then deadlifts and ohp Thursday. Any advice?
  • KelDawLan
    KelDawLan Posts: 7 Member
    Hi everyone, this is my first post, and I have no idea about how to friend people. I’ve just started lifting seriously. I’m a runner mainly, and generally do circuits or body weight exercises as DOMS effects my running. I’ve decided I want to cut and increase my muscle percentage.
    Can I ask if anyone uses scales that give you body fat and muscle percentage readings? I’ve generally only paid attention to the body fat, and been at 18-19% BF when training well. I looked at my muscle reading today and it was 40%. What could I realistically increase this to as I train, and how long does it take? With BF I find 1% decrease generally takes me 2 weeks of focus. Thanks all and how has everyone progressed in the last month? X
  • DancingMoosie
    I do t is scales to track %, because they just aren't very reliable. But I will say that trying to cut while increasing muscle is difficult to impossible when already lean and in good shape.
  • DancingMoosie
    edited May 2019
    I don't use scales to track %, because they just aren't very reliable. But I will say that trying to cut while increasing muscle is difficult to impossible when already lean and in good shape.
  • KelDawLan
    KelDawLan Posts: 7 Member
    I don't use scales to track %, because they just aren't very reliable. But I will say that trying to cut while increasing muscle is difficult to impossible when already lean and in good shape.

Thanks. Well, I’ll see where the extra weight training takes me. Mainly I want to lose BF, so if I can do that, I’m thinking my muscle definition will show more as a result.
    I’m going for this look to be honest 😊swtw5nmr6tax.png