A List of Calorie Dense Foods

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    It's weird how salmon is so light and easy to eat yet its packed full of calories.
    You don't feel full after a serving of Salmon compared to let's say chicken or beef.

Correction. YOU don’t feel full after a serving of salmon compared to other protein sources. Satiety is completely individualized and what makes you feel full or not may or may not be the same as someone else.

I eat salmon, chicken and pork regularly and beef on occasion as well. I don’t find any meaningful difference in how full I feel if I choose a 6 Oz portion of each. What helps me feel full is a mix of all three macros - carbs, protein and fats at a meal.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    This seemed like a good a time as any to bump this.

I'll add one of my recent favorites. A caramel rice cake with the creamy Earth balance coconut peanut butter. Comes to 145 calories. Two rice cakes and a serving of the peanut butter is 290 calories of bomb af snack.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Why peanut butter why must you be so high in calories?!?!?! When I was pregnant I would spoon it out the jar 🥜😓😩
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    kbushe3221 wrote: »
    Why peanut butter why must you be so high in calories?!?!?! When I was pregnant I would spoon it out the jar 🥜😓😩

Haha I know. That's kinda the point of this thread though. While I don't have trouble getting my calories, I do love peanut butter so I find a way!
  • JTGJTG
    JTGJTG Posts: 52 Member
    That looks delicious! Wonder if I can find the pomegranate molasses anywhere besides "Whole Paycheck"?
  • suzanne6094
    suzanne6094 Posts: 104 Member
    Thanks, someone tagged me in this post and it is gonna be very helpful, think maybe as I am already trying to gain weight I should not be so focused on "healthy foods" just eat....
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Thanks, someone tagged me in this post and it is gonna be very helpful, think maybe as I am already trying to gain weight I should not be so focused on "healthy foods" just eat....

but who is defining "healthy"? that has different meanings to different people.

plus, MANY foods on this list ARE healthy. nuts. pb made of "only nuts", healthy oils. cheese. full fat dairy VS low fat. beans. pasta, rice, beans and lentils. salmon. avocados. all are very good healthful foods.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    CyberTone wrote: »
    kjdaniel06 wrote: »
    I'm new to the weight loss thing. So just know that I'm not saying anything to try to be rude or offensive. And I also don't have much time to read all of the comments to figure this out lol. But why do you want to have more calories? I thought you were supposed to intake less calories and exercise to burn them off?
    Not everyone on MFP is trying to lose weight or looking for low calorie foods. There are some people who naturally have a low appetite or there are people who are bulking (eating above maintenance while resistance training to gain muscle) and are looking for food that is calorie-dense so they can meet their goals. There are people who have had weight loss surgery and can not eat a large amount of food at one time, so they also may need this list. There are also other situations where this list is very helpful.
    There were only 13 comments to this post. That really is not too many comments to not be able to have read them prior to posting.

To piggyback off that reply, which I agree with, there are also people whose goal is to lose weight but still struggle with getting the right amount of calories. For me, I am eating more unprocessed foods and lots of fiber, which fills me up. I often find that when I've planned out my day I'm only at 1200 calories, which for someone my size is too few, so it's helpful to know what you can reach for to get some more calories in without feeling too full.
  • suzanne6094
    suzanne6094 Posts: 104 Member
    ok the peanut butter sandwich is really helping to get me to my calories a day but the "bread" is too much, so going to see what else is calorie dense, but is maybe not so heavy on the stomach?

What works best for you

Nuts and greek yogurt?

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    ok the peanut butter sandwich is really helping to get me to my calories a day but the "bread" is too much, so going to see what else is calorie dense, but is maybe not so heavy on the stomach?

What works best for you

Nuts and greek yogurt?

Peanut butter and sliced apple goes great :smiley:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    how%20many%20kilojoules%20in%20that%20sushi.jpg
  • Montgomery29
    Montgomery29 Posts: 6 Member
    If I'm still missing 1000 calories at the end of the day (need 2000 calories to lose weight) can I eat something unhealthy like potato chips to reach 2000 and still lose weight? Or does it have to be things like mentioned in the first post?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If I'm still missing 1000 calories at the end of the day (need 2000 calories to lose weight) can I eat something unhealthy like potato chips to reach 2000 and still lose weight? Or does it have to be things like mentioned in the first post?

You can eat anything you want. It is better not to view food in terms of "healthy" and "unhealthy". There are foods that are more nutrient dense and there are foods we need to moderate.

In terms of a single day it doesn't really matter unless something makes you sick or doesn't abate your hunger for long enough. You could have an ice cream day ever so often if you can get away with it.

A few months ago I unintentionally proved that you can lose weight eating primarily pizza for an entire week. There were no changes in my health markers that get checked every 4 months either. I don't say that is a good idea but my circumstances during that week were pretty rough and I had no appetite. I didn't even enjoy the pizza but I needed calories and I had a bunch of it frozen.
  • dallsop417
    dallsop417 Posts: 1,031 Member
    I think one of the most important things about meals and snacks to to change it up. Trying to eat the same meals or snacks every day is boring and hard work. I have 7 different snacks that I will have so I can have one twice a day and next day have a different one, as well as mini snacks like chocolate, peanuts, and raisins between snacks and meals. Main snacks are around 600 calories and could be Cornish pasty, pork pie, McDonald’s etc. Can even make a protein shake for easy liquid snack
  • quietriver
    quietriver Posts: 38 Member
    Coconut milk
    Japanese milk bread
    Home made bread made with flax meal, oat flour, and wheat germ
    Pudding if made with whole milk and cream
  • magpieslim
    magpieslim Posts: 8 Member
    im trying to lose weight and on 2090 calories a day i usually work up 500 calories a day on top giving me 2590 cals for the day, most of the time i have 800/900 cals sometimes 1100 cals left at the end of the day going to bed. My question is, is this good or bad for me having that amount of calories left?
  • tonito1989
    tonito1989 Posts: 10 Member
    I have started losing weight like 2 weeks ago. I spent so many hours researching the low-calorie veggies and fruits that now I have a fridge full of low-calorie foods and I fail to meet the calories needed per day which are not many - 1400. But at the same time, I have one day in the week (Saturday) when I allow myself to have all I want - even so-called junk food. So then I am increasing the calorie intake. I do not know why it is not healthy to have less than 1200 calories per day but at the same time, it is healthy to make a "fast" for 24 hours or 7 days. Need to make research on why it is bad to consume less than 1200 calories per day.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Shrimp, crabmeat, white fish (halibut, sea bass, cod and orange roughy) are, IMO, the best low calorie, high protein foods one can get, cheaply and conveniently. I know, sea bass is not actually cheap, but everything else is.
  • Fit_Skywalker
    Fit_Skywalker Posts: 12 Member
    I'll add popcorn to the list. It fills me up and it quite low in calories.