What’s everyone’s say on bagels?

Everyone talks about how bad bagels are. I like whole wheat bagels. But how often are they okay? Anyone else incorporate bagels into their calorie intakes for the day?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    I :heart: bagels. I eat them occasionally but like @Panini911 I don't find them very filling.

People say all kinds of crazy stuff, usually with absolutely no scientific basis, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you find them filling and are eating them as part of a balanced diet, there's no problem.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Why would they be particularly bad? Look at the cals, the macros, and what else you are eating with them and decide if it works for you. Some bagels, especially from a bagel place, are huge, so will have lots of cals, mostly just refined carbs, so some may find them not filling. You can deal with that by eating a smaller portion with some other foods.

Personally I don't eat them that often since they aren't a favorite food (I like them, but don't miss them when I don't eat them), and I don't find them filling or worth the calories.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I miss bagels! I love bagels, but they don't love me. I have a Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance, so can't eat bagels any more and the gf versions were always just disappointing.

If they fit within your calorie goals, then go for it.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    I love them! Walmart carries a 110 calorie brand. They're not quite as good as regular ones, but they satisfy the craving.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    If It Fits Your Macro and calories, eat whatever you like.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    edited May 2019
    I don't like bagels so I don't eat them. I prefer English muffing or toast.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I don't find bagels with butter filling at all, so they are not a good choice for me for a meal. I do, however, find a half bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon quite filling.
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    I love bagels; but I love fruit more. I usually have Melba toast instead of a bagel because the calories are less; and that allows for my 400 calories of fruit per day. Just fit what you love within your allotted calories.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    I'll have a large bagel with cream cheese and caraway seeds once or twice a month. I love bagels. I mean, I love them. But they are high in sodium, so I treat them as a "sometimes-rare" food.

Bagels keep me full for a few hours, but are not quite enough to get me to lunchtime. I have accepted that if I have a bagel for breakfast, I may be hungry before lunch arrives. It's worth it, to me.