All about calories

Options
Is that all that matters in weight loss? Does it matter if I’m eating mostly carbs? So, if I decide to spend my 1200 calories on two slices of pizza today and a burger and fries tomorrow I’ll still lose weight?

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    At a first approximation, sure, it covers enough of it.
    If you do some rather odd things, like you'll eventually lose whatever one life weighs eating only white sugar with no other nutrients.
    To a certain extent the macros matter to composition, and since muscle and other lean tissue usually stores less calories than adipose, you might lose a fraction more or less with certain macros. You'll still definitely lose weight with low enough calories.
  • snake_man_32
    snake_man_32 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's all CICO. However, for someone like me, macros matter. For instance, if I eat too much fat I get acid reflux. Also, not eating a balanced diet means you might not get all the nutrients your body needs.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Is that all that matters in weight loss? Does it matter if I’m eating mostly carbs? So, if I decide to spend my 1200 calories on two slices of pizza today and a burger and fries tomorrow I’ll still lose weight?

Yes, if they really are only 1200 cal (two slices of pizza would normally be way less, depending on the pizza, the burger and fries could be more, depending on the burger and fries).

Yesterday I was traveling and had a day almost like that (except I have well over 1200 cals, since I'm at maintenance) -- morning protein bar after going to the airport at 5 am, lunch at a place with only burgers and other fried options (had fried shrimp and fries), and then since lunch had been late and heavy I was going to buy some plain vegetables in the airport on the way home during a layover but couldn't find what I wanted and had to rush to catch my flight so, eh, no dinner. Although I was satisfied yesterday, normally I could not eat like that and not be hungry, and I'd feel terrible without more vegetables and other more nutrient dense foods in my diet.

But calories are calories so for weight loss it wouldn't matter if you really could stick with it (although I wouldn't advise as a regular thing). The one thing I'd warn you about is high salt so you could get a water weight gain in the short term. Also, if you were going it regularly I'd log to see protein, as both meals would be high fat (potentially more fat than carbs) and high carbs, so could end up low on protein (especially if it were your only meal).
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Yep just don't confuse weight loss and health. You can eat the right amount of calories, in turn lose weight and yet still be in terrible health because all you ate was junk. If weight loss is your only worry, then yes just count calories, if you want to be healthy, there is a lot more to it.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Taking nothing else into consideration, yes, CICO is the determining factor in weight management.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific justification for this, but I suspect that persistently very poor nutrition, at reduced calories, would eventually have a negative effect on health and energy level (in addition to body composition), so be counterproductive for weight management in the long run. Poor nutrition leading to poor energy leading to being less active and resting more because of fatigue . . . reduces TDEE.

The foods you named wouldn't strike me as an example of very poor nutrition, but (if that was all that a person was eating) could be somewhat less than ideal in ways others have mentioned. Would that come home to roost? If it did, how long would it take? Dunno.

But for the short run, for sure, calories are the only thing that really matters for weight management (except for how food choices affect satiety and compliance). In the long run, most of us want to be healthy, not just thin, so reasonable overall nutrition does matter.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My favourite saying is that the best "diet" is the one you can stick to and turn into a way of life, so yes...you may hypothetically lose weight that way but it would be near impossible to stick to for any length of time, so...

I learned quickly that if I wanted to lose any weight I needed to find low calorie foods that I enjoy to fill myself and not feel deprived and hungry that leave enough room for the odd indulgence that is part of life.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I see a dietitian who says to have a meal like that once a week. So, that's what I do. And I lose.