Having Troubles Getting The Weight Off

I started IF about a week ago doing the 16:8. I slipped up a couple days but tried to get right back on track. I am 23 with 2 kids and it's hard to exercise when I am also still breastfeeding. I have gained 4 pounds instead of losing the weight. I just feel really defeated and that I will never get to my goal weight. :'(

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    One week is not enough time to see progress. Have you been logging you food intake accurately during that week?

Exercise is not necessary at all for weight loss (although good for health). Breastfeeding will naturally create a deficit (size of which depends on how much milk you're producing), set yourself to Maintenance and log accurately, food scale would be the most accurate way of determining food intake.

IF 16:8 is only useful if it works for you, it's just a way to manage your calorie intake (i.e. by skipping breakfast you have more calories available for lunch/dinner).

Weight naturally fluctuates constantly, this is a combination of food/waste in the system, regulation of fluid in your body in response to things like hormones, sodium, carbs, alcohol, dehydration, etc.

A pound of body fat is approximately equivalent to 3500 calories, to gain 4lbs of fat you would have had to have eaten at maintenance all week and then an additional 14000 calories somewhere. I'd say it's pretty unlikely that happened?

Weight loss takes patience and consistency.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2019
    Maybe 16:8 isn't the way for you.
    Losing weight is all about taking in less calories than we burn consistently. As @tinkerbellang83 says its all about having patience and being consistent.
    One week is not enough time. Have you tried counting calories? if you get a handle on what you are consuming now, even dropping one or two snacks daily or cutting down in portion size a little could potentially help you lose weight and it would feel more effortless.
    Use of a food scale really helps with portion size and logging/tracking everything you eat - it educates us so we are inclined to make better choices.

All the best.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated. Take your time and do what works for you. Exercising isn't vital to lose weight although it is good for your health. Losing weight is more about how many calories you are eating no matter when you eat them. Keep track of your calories and if you feel like taking the kids to the park you can get a little exercise in by walking there. If not then you just burn a few less calories that day. So many folks think that they can't lose because they can't exercise. That is totally untrue. Exercise is good for you definately and I find it is a great appetite suppresor for me but all I've ever done is walk and I lost 100 lbs. Hang in there and don't give up.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member