Coworker told me I looked "pale" and to stop losing weight...

Options
2»

Replies

• peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You are in a totally healthy range for your height. I’m 5-7 too and I think that our range bottoms out at 130. If taking a maintenance break gives you more energy, it means you were probably eating too little. If you go back on a deficit, do no more than 250 per day or 0.5 lb per week. I think strength training would help you a lot as suggested above.

Thank you.

About 2-3 months ago I did set my goal to losing 0.5 lbs. per week at sedentary, and have been eating back my exercise calories, which I have trouble estimating but am probably underestimating.

I have been eating at 1,500 and then whatever exercise calories (before the diet break, I am now doing 1,750 or more, loosely). I've used calculations that estimate my TDEE anywhere from 1650-1750 or so. I do have a desk job but I get up frequently, at least every hour, walk on my 10 minute breaks and workout at lunch 3x per week doing a total body conditioning class for 45 minutes which I do at my highest intensity mostly (I estimate 150 cals burned, could be more though). I have been losing about 0.8 lbs. a week I think, but don't always stick to calories (usually at or over).

I also don't watch TV or sit down much at home, I am either cleaning or cooking or taking care of pets and on the weekend stay active shopping and such.

Maybe I should eat a little more than sedentary puts me at.

I have strength trained for years, maybe not very effectively though. I feel like you can't tell looking at me, maybe because I have been in a deficit and unable to really build muscle even though I really try. Since over a year ago I think I have been doing 4 days a week rotating an upper and lower body split. My weights have increased or stayed the same, not gone down. A few weeks ago my work started offering group fitness classes so I have been doing them 3x a week, They are cardio and weight training based.

Sorry if this is TMI lol
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We are the same height and same age. I am about 141-142 lbs and still feel I have about 7-8 pounds to lose.. and depending on how I look I may have even more. I have plenty of people tell me I look fine as I am but I also know that when I see myself naked, there is no way I couldn't stand to lose a bit more fat all around. As long as you are healthy and your goals are realistic, do what you need to do! It's great you are also consulting with your doctor about your health instead of relying solely on your own goals or the comments made by friends/coworkers. Good job.
  • peachvine29
    Options
    alondrakar wrote: »
    We are the same height and same age. I am about 141-142 lbs and still feel I have about 7-8 pounds to lose.. and depending on how I look I may have even more. I have plenty of people tell me I look fine as I am but I also know that when I see myself naked, there is no way I couldn't stand to lose a bit more fat all around. As long as you are healthy and your goals are realistic, do what you need to do! It's great you are also consulting with your doctor about your health instead of relying solely on your own goals or the comments made by friends/coworkers. Good job.

Exactly how I feel! I know clothed I look so much better, great even, but yeah naked is another story lol and I obviously have some fat to lose. Lol
  • peachvine29
    Options
    Besides checking your ferritin, ask your doctor to check your vitamin D. If you are avoiding the sun and wearing sunscreen, you may be deficient and that will affect your energy levels as well.

Good idea! I will ask about that as well, very well could be
  • peachvine29
    Options
    Sometimes it can come from a place of concern, but I think often its because they feel intimidated or threatened because they realize that now you're competition when it comes to looks.

Very true. These coworkers were in their 50's and 60's I believe, so I do think they were just genuinely concerned. The one whom was most concerned is pretty overweight and I think just doesn't get that I know how to lose weight, she talks about special diets and such, but I'm approaching it healthily. They're used to seeing me very overweight
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. In regard to possible deficiencies, and maybe iron deficiency, I just had a thought, I have been avoiding red meat since I started this process and never really ate much of it anyway. I eat almost exclusively chicken and fish. I think I'm going to try incorporating red meat in once or twice a week. And I'll see what my doc says.

I think when I get to about 130 I will start recomping. I'm so excited to be so close to goal and figuring out my health. :)

Did your doctor say you had anemia? Or are you just thinking because people say you look pale. I don't think you look too thin at all and could definitely lose to your goal without being too skinny.

You look like you have very fair skin in general, so I think they are probably just commenting because of the weight loss. I agree that if you continue to lose, since you don't have as much left to go at a slower pace.
  • peachvine29
    Options
    I think, you haven’t been feeling your best lately, and your coworkers have noticed that and have conflated it to your weight loss. They aren’t doctors. People need to understand that even skinny people have moments when they don’t feel great or get sick.

I think you're right. Just because I'm not feeling good doesn't mean it's because I lost fat. I have a lot of stuff going on in my life, that's just part of it!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You should start strength training. It will help with your fat/muscle ratio and bone density. You can continue with a moderate calorie deficit and slowly move to maintenance.
    If you are suspecting anemia, eat some iron rich foods in combination with vitamin c (like spinach and lemon).
    I hope you get good results with your doctor.
  • peachvine29
    Options
    You should start strength training. It will help with your fat/muscle ratio and bone density. You can continue with a moderate calorie deficit and slowly move to maintenance.
    If you are suspecting anemia, eat some iron rich foods in combination with vitamin c (like spinach and lemon).
    I hope you get good results with your doctor.

Thank you. I am already strength training and have throughout my weight loss. I'm not sure how effective I am at it, though. I've thought about getting a trainer.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. In regard to possible deficiencies, and maybe iron deficiency, I just had a thought, I have been avoiding red meat since I started this process and never really ate much of it anyway. I eat almost exclusively chicken and fish. I think I'm going to try incorporating red meat in once or twice a week. And I'll see what my doc says.

I think when I get to about 130 I will start recomping. I'm so excited to be so close to goal and figuring out my health. :)

If you're anemic, it's going to take more than eating red meat a few times a week to fix that, but that's fine to do while you are waiting for the results of blood work. Ask your doctor's office if you can have blood work ahead of time so you can discuss the results at your appointment, rather than after. Specifically ask for iron and ferritin to be tested in your labs - I've been anemic for over 30 years and still need to specifically ask for this as part of my yearly labs.

Don't supplement before you get the test results.

Many people complain about side effects with iron supplements but I have none with this brand https://smile.amazon.com/Solgar-Bisglycinate-Non-Constipating-Vegetable-Capsules/dp/B0001OP028/

Yes, it is somewhat more expensive than what I could have received from the VA, but the two forms of iron I got from them did not get my energy levels back up.
  • Jelliqal
    Jelliqal Posts: 17 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I did get highlights a month or two ago. And I think my skin really is just changing too, I look healthier in my opinion, less red and inflamed, and I am staying out of the sun. Thankyou:)

Avoiding foods that cause your red face would create that You look pale response. I get roseacea when I eat certain foods and get the pale comment on the rare days when my skin is clear.

Checking for anemia is good - but also as it is getting warmer are you drinking enough? Dehydrated can make you tired.

But your weight is not the goal - the goal is health and only you can determine when you feel "right".

I bet your co-workers are the same ones that are happy to tell other people how they should raise their kids too. :p

Do what is right for you, Good Luck,

Jelliqal

• jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No body is anybody's business except the person the body belongs to. Tell them to piss off! Well, since it's at work and you can't really do that, tell them you're not comfortable discussing your body with anyone and to please not bring it up again.