Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Uncomfortable because it works

This mindset gets people injured.

Well, "No pain, no gain" will get people injured. In working out you do have to endure some discomfort...sore muscles, for instance after a challenging workout. But not pain.

OP has chest pain. That should not be “endured” without first checking with a doctor. It may be harmless, or not.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    To answer a few people's questions--I am running during my crossfit classes. We usually do 200 to 400m at a time. Burpees and running are the two things in a crossfit workout that make me feel like I can't breathe. I do 3 workouts a week at crossfit and at least two of them will have running involved. In addition, I walk at a 3.5/mph pace on my days off, which doesn't bother me at all. I can usually get up to 4/mph without feeling the tightness in my chest. It's just that I've been keeping this pace for months now and not seeing improvement when I step it up.

Maybe I do have asthma. I think that's my first step. Otherwise, it could be the added weight.

Burpees and 200/400 meter sprints are different animals and it's understandable to me that your breathing is challenged. There's a whole "body of science" about breathing when doing burpees. The fact you don't have these issues when running on a treadmill at a sensible pace tells me that all is well with you.

On your own, you can do burpees at a difference cadence of reps per round such as, for example, 5 burpees every 60 seconds or whatever is appropriate. As you become more conditioned, you can increase the round rep count or decrease the time interval. Again, burpees are a creature of their own. Never met a person who loved burpees but met many who loved the results of doing them.

• Goofy4running
    Goofy4running Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a little different take on this .... all based on my own lived experiences.

There may be lots of factors here.
    1. You may need to get a check up..... but maybe not. Do you know your max heart rate? My max is about 180 and resting is 42. I am a long distance runner.
    2. I notice my breathing gets worse when I am stressed. This happened in my Ph.D. when I was in the dissertation process. It also happens when I am getting ready to start my period.
    3. Weight may be a factor... but maybe not. When I ran my Boston qualifying marathon, I ran with a girl who was at least 20 pounds over what I was (maybe more). At mile 23, she left me in the dust and finished about 5 minutes ahead of me.
    4. All this to say. It could be lots of factors. Even heat, how you feel about running, or any trauma you have experienced.

But I am wondering if you like it?
    If you do, get a checkup, a good plan, eat well, make sure you have good running shoes, and join a local running group (or find someone to run with).
    If you don’t, do something else. Life is too short run when you hate it.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    A check-up is a good idea because of the chest pains.

If the check-up shows that you can continue running, slow down. A 9-minute mile is quite fast. Run at your more comfortable 12-minute mile pace and enjoy the run. Your pace will speed up as your body gets stronger and can tolerate it.
    Or it won't. Don't stress the pace. Enjoy the runs.

As mentioned earlier, you should run at a conversational pace.