May Challenge: Maintainers Back on Track Thread

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Well, my pants are still tight. That’s all I have to report.

Same here :(
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Its somewhat comforting to know that many of us are in the same boat, sometimes we feel we're the only ones having to struggle with regain but the struggle is real for so many.

True :(
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Hey, @LivingtheLeanDream: You have been a voice of reason and compassion on here, so sorry to see that you are struggling. But just wanted to throw a few things your way: 1. Anti-inflammatory meds CAN cause water weight gain, so take that into account and 2. You and I have each been on maintenance for a while - 4.5 years for me, 6 for you - and we are each struggling to get back into our ranges. Maybe we also need to consider (and that would include everyone who's been on maintenance for this long or longer) that we have aged during that time and that it's going to be more difficult to get back there, and that maybe we need to even cut back more than we thought. I have been going over this in my own mind and I think there's something to that. Metabolism keeps slowing as we age, I believe. Just sayin'.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    @jrwms714, ones metabolism only drops a small amount yearly as one ages. (50-100 cals per decade, from the age of about 25, depending on stats)

We do however tend to move less and because of that lose muscle as we age. It is the subtle activity drop that has the biggest effect on our calorie intake.

I found making sure I upped my daily activity to the same level as I had pre car ownership (late 40’s) during weight loss (30lbs gain was the car) and maintenance, has meant I can maintain my weight without having to eat fewer calories.

I also strength train regularly, sometimes heavy; sometimes body weight, and that helps with muscle retention adding a few extra cals to my expected BMR.

I’ve been maintaining 10yr 55-65 and eat about 300 cals more now than I did when I started maintenance despite the expected drop in BMR.

Just something to ponder so you dont have to think it inevitable that age has to mean you have to eat less to maintain.

Not denying that we can find it more comfortable maintaining at a weight that is higher than our initial goal. But that is all part of finding out maintenance in my mind.

Calories, activity level, weight, and visual appearance all have to align, that is a hard thing to balance.

Cheers, h.

@LivingtheLeanDream, I know you’ve got this, you are body aware and analyze well.

I’ll wish you a happy birthday here too as I will be travelling to the UK when you celebrate.

Lean mass accounts for most of the drop in rmr. You are an active gal! I bet you lift! Lifting, in some studies, decreases muscle efficiency... thus raising your "metabolism" cheers ma'am!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,228 Member
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I'm going to join.
    Name: Irina
    How long in maintenance: 2.5 years
    Goal/ preferred maintenance weight: 142-143lbs
    Current weight: 147.8 today, trending up again for the last 10 days .
    I've been trying ever since Christmas to bring it down to reasonable 143 and i haven't been able to do so. There were weeks when i managed pretty well and it came down from 150ish, and down to where i want to be for a short few days just to go up again. It's so frustrating. And now same thing. Down to 143 for a few days and a steady climb back up to nearly 148. Gosh. I blame nuts, chocolate, peanut butter and pretzels, ice cream and cookies. Lol. Oh, and mango. Because i have the huge tree and it's mango season! The only innocent snack on my list is sugar free jello, haha. And I've been so busy running to my appointments after I got hurt. And dealing with pain and not being able to ride much at all, which is my primary exercise along with walking. And walking is very painful now, so it's out. Gotta. Snack. Less.

Tough one. I know that being able to exercise (particularly riding) is key to healthy eating for me. (Particularly keeping a curb on snacking). Could you do something in the pool? That helped me during recovery from total knee replacement when I couldn't ride or do the other things I normally do.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    fh1951 wrote: »
    fh1951 wrote: »
    Current goal: 185 by Memorial Day... not going to make it 😒 but did lose 2.5 lbs during May.

May 31 - 184 this morning, so I’m now back within the upper bound of my maintenance range (180 - 184) 😀

Yay! Congrats!