Need opinions onweight loss and calories

Mugs203
Mugs203 Posts: 26 Member
Hoping to get some advice.
Trying to lose weight and MFP says I shoud be eating 1200 calories per day. I like to workout and can burn 500-600 per day in spin class or on elliptical machine etc. Because my calories are low to begin with, I am not sure if I should be eating back those calories. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Mugs203
    apullum wrote: »
    MFP intends you to eat back exercise calories. If you are confident that they're calculated correctly, eat them all. If not, start by eating half to account for possible overestimation, and adjust from there.

What is your height, starting weight, and how much are you trying to lose? Unless you're a very short, older, and/or sedentary woman, 1200 is likely too few calories for you. Women often get a recommendation of 1200 calories when they enter a pace of weight loss that's too fast for their stats.

I am only 5'2" and 147 lbs. Want to get down to 130.
  • Mugs203
    nocgirl72 wrote: »
    I do not eat back my calories. Because of this I’m actually at the lowest weight I’ve been in years I weighed myself the other day for the first time in a really long time. I actually do not need to lose any more weight.

But does MFP recommend more than 1200 for you? Thats what concerns me
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    ...and yes, your calorie goal is NET calories. You should eat back some or all of your exercise calories. And I say ‘some’ mainly because most exercise calories are overestimated.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Mugs203 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    MFP intends you to eat back exercise calories. If you are confident that they're calculated correctly, eat them all. If not, start by eating half to account for possible overestimation, and adjust from there.

What is your height, starting weight, and how much are you trying to lose? Unless you're a very short, older, and/or sedentary woman, 1200 is likely too few calories for you. Women often get a recommendation of 1200 calories when they enter a pace of weight loss that's too fast for their stats.

I am only 5'2" and 147 lbs. Want to get down to 130.

With so little weight left to lose, you want to lose slowly so you don't risk too much muscle loss and don't mess with your hormones. 0.5-1 lb per week. Eat the MFP goal + at least some of your exercise calories. Log accurately and consistently and be patient :smile: Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum and Good luck!
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    If you are hungry eat, if not just make sure to get your 1200 in.
  • promisesstandin
    promisesstandin Posts: 150 Member
    Thanks, Carpar1. I do listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry AND i push in calories even if i'm not. Sometimes my body calls for more fat% and I give it. Just wondering how much calories bc TDEE has me at 1,641 Cutting and 2,141 at maintenance (500cal deficit) and PerfectKetocalc has me at 1,154, and I don't know how to get MFP numbers - only what I give to MFP. Where does one get MFP to calculate for you? Thanks! Also, just looking at the gap between TDEE and PerfectKetocalc is confusing - there's quite a discrepancy. If TDEE has me 1,641 cutting and PerfectKeto has me at 1,154, not sure where the middle ground is. I just readjusted macros to 45% fat, 40% protein and 15% carbs. I welcome anyone's feedback. Thanks! :)
  • promisesstandin
    promisesstandin Posts: 150 Member
    PerfectKetocalc, with those stats, puts me at a weight loss of about 3lbs per month