carbs addict

Options

Replies

• dododididada
    dododididada Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Just eat fewer carbs at every meal, there’s no need to eliminate them completely.

I won't cut it off as it seems impossible to do it, after this discussion.
  • dododididada
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Why do you want to cut out carbs if you live in that culture? Weight loss is about eating less. It doesn't have to mean cutting carbs.

When I search for any kind of diets especially keto diet, it says that you have to cut out carbs to see results in 4 or 5 weeks.
    I know it's a bad habit, so I want to replace it or reduce it to the minimalist amount.
    I'm looking for a replacement till I cut it off in the beginning of my diet
    Or an advice from a previous carb addict.

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.....not a carb deficit. Take in fewer calories than your maintenance and you will see results in 4 or 5 weeks for ANY kind of diet.

What appeals to you re: a keto diet? Do you need to reduce carbs because of medical issues? Do you find that eating a large % of your calories as fat is tasty and satiating? Those would be good reasons to look into keto.

Unless Egyptian bread contains lots of fat, sugar, etc.....it shouldn't be more calories per serving. Flat bread is flat (not airy).....that just means the portion should look smaller.

You're right, any diet will do it.
    But when I searched about the Egyptian bread i found that it contains 250-300 calories, it's away too much, when I have to eat one on breakfast and another one on dinner everyday, and sometimes a third one on lunch if I don't want to eat rice or pasta, I am really chocked because I always wonder how I got fat over the past 10 years although I am not a big eater, or a sugar addict so it turns out that my problem was that kind of carbs, the Egyptian white bread!
    So I am in a serious need to replace it with toast maybe, I found a store that sells toast, it's not as cheap as the Egyptian bread but I don't know any other replacement for now!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    so you don't feel 'deprived' I'd do some 'research' on substitutions - cauliflower crust (for wraps/pizza, etc., ); cauliflower 'rice'; Keto type bread items (almond flour bread/flat breads. Egg white 'cloud bread'); shirataki noodles/spiralized veggies; quinoa instead of rice,etc.,

Fill up with lots of veggies instead too will help fill you up for sure
  • dododididada
    Options
    @dododididada I was in very poor health at the age of 63 when I realized I was addicted to carbs myself. On a hunch in Oct 2014 I "cold turkey" (did try to taper off high carbs for two months but failed) I stopped eating any and all foods containing added sweeteners of any kind and all forms of all grains. After a hellish two weeks the carb cravings and binging started to fade and my pain started dropping like a rock. It was day 45 before I lost the first pound of weight but I was dropping inches with NO weight loss. I went on to lose 50 pounds eating Low Carb High Fat and have maintained that loss for the past 4 years.

Best of success.

I have a craving for carbs too since I started my diet even when I am full, I'll try harder to lose this habit.
    Thank you for sharing your story, it's so inspiring.
  • dododididada
    Options
    I am diabetic and have to restrict carbs. When I eat at a Syrian restaurant in my town, I have rice and pita, just less. For dipping hummus and baba ganoush I like to use slices of cucumber or radish instead of bread. I will eat half a pita instead of a whole one and put the rest of my food on a salad. Also, to lower carbs in Arabic desserts, adding less syrup, sugar, or honey and increasing the amount of nuts and seeds works for me. I am very lucky that the chef at the restaurant I go to helps me figure out how to eat a proper amount of carbs for my illness, and still enjoy his food!

Another Arabian in the house :)
    Yeah, it's great to have a restaurant chef that know what is best for you.
    And the dipping with cucumber and raddish is a great idea to use less bread. Thank you!
  • dododididada
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    so you don't feel 'deprived' I'd do some 'research' on substitutions - cauliflower crust (for wraps/pizza, etc., ); cauliflower 'rice'; Keto type bread items (almond flour bread/flat breads. Egg white 'cloud bread'); shirataki noodles/spiralized veggies; quinoa instead of rice,etc.,

Thank you for your efforts, although almond flour is expensive and I can't use it every day
    cauliflower maybe is an option although its taste and smell is wired
    But I'll try it, and I'll search for the egg white bread because I never heard about it.
    Thanks.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

Thank you for your efforts, although almond flour is expensive and I can't use it every day
    But I'll try it, and I'll search for the egg white bread because I never heard about it.
    Thanks.

you can also mix all the above up. eat a small portion of real rice mixed in with cauliflower rice to add bulk. smaller portions of bread that is not as high calorie (not to say low calorie bread but some breads are more calorie dense as you metnioned earlier). not having bread with ALL meals.

Yeah, this is what I do.

I stopped buying the kinds of bread products that I can't stop eating and I cut down on the wheat products I do eat. One-slice sandwiches with just plain 100% whole wheat bread from the grocery. Half zucchini and half whole wheat pasta. No crackers, or only on special occasions. No pita or wheat tortillas - I'll go through the whole pack in two days. No French bread or pretzels. No wheat based cereals. Wheat products are very triggering for me.
  • dododididada
    Options

Thanks.

you can also mix all the above up. eat a small portion of real rice mixed in with cauliflower rice to add bulk. smaller portions of bread that is not as high calorie (not to say low calorie bread but some breads are more calorie dense as you metnioned earlier). not having bread with ALL meals.

thank you, i'll try it for sure, mixing is a great idea!
    and the cauliflower rice never heard about it before, i think it's easy to prepare too.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options

Thanks.

and the cauliflower rice never heard about it before, i think it's easy to prepare too.

You can make your own cauliflower rice.

But you may be able to buy it ready made - here it is available in both frozen and fresh versions, ready made.
  • dododididada
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    By the way OP, I’m not sure if you’re just using the phrase “carb addict” casually? But carbs aren’t addictive. They also are in such a wide range of food items - grains, rice, fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc... it’s hard to use such a broad term and get helpful advice. It seems you believe that overconsumption of bread with your meals is preventing you from losing weight. It’s fine to work on cutting back a calorie dense food or foods you have difficulty moderating but regularly eating and enjoying bread or other grains doesn’t make you a carb addict nor does it make it impossible to lose weight.

I use the word addict because I do feel a kind of craving to bread even if I ate alot of protein, salad and feeling full, but still need to eat the last piece of meat inside a half loaf of bread.
    I specify the bad habits of eating egyptian bread that contains from 250-300 calories in each loaf with every meal in my previous comments, I know that I can't cut off the carbs to zero, I want to break the craving to the bad habit of our culture, and ask for advice and help from other members, and I found some members that feel the same craving to bread and other carbs too, and I found some replacements too, the thread was very helpful for me,that's all!
    I am cutting off the amount to a half loaf instead of two loafs and two brown toasts and I am still in my first week of calories-deficit diet, I am trying!
  • dododididada
    Options

Thanks.

You can make your own cauliflower rice.

But you may be able to buy it ready made - here it is available in both frozen and fresh versions, ready made.

where? in Egypt?
  • dododididada
    Options
    I live in the same culture, and yes, no meal is complete without starchy carbs. That's not an addiction, that's simply how we culturally eat. Anyone used to eating a certain way would find it hard to change if they attempt to change everything. If there is no real need to change a particular thing, why do it? Finding your own way of cutting calories will be more successful than reading about all the other diets on the internet. The people who write these articles probably don't live where you do, don't like the same foods you do, and what fills them up may not be what fills you up.

Instead of trying to cut carbs, try to eat more protein while staying within calories. If your family is anything like mine, I'm guessing you get enough fiber from vegetables and beans already and that most of your meals are home cooked, so you have an advantage there. The easiest way to cut calories for me was to reduce the amount of oil I used in cooking. You still need enough fat to be healthy, but we traditionally use too much of it so that seemed the most logical place to start cutting calories. The easiest way for me was to start roasting or shallow frying chicken and vegetables in less oil for the dishes where I used to prepare them fried in obscene amounts of oil. If you reduce the oil gradually, you won't even notice the difference.

I eat starchy carbs with every meal and I successfully lost a lot of weight because my calories are under control and I became more active in general (I walk much more than I used to). Eggs without bread don't fill me up anyway. I didn't have to cut out carbs, but I had to control the amount. Not because they're carbs, but because I needed to control my calories and I find the amount I eat just enough to help me feel full. My usual serving of bread is 70 grams (sometimes more than once a day, so anything from 70 to 210 grams a day, but the latter is rare), and my usual serving of rice is 150-200 grams cooked. I pile up on the vegetable part (molokhia for example).

i do the shallow oil frying for vegetables, chicken and meat already, and going to cut off most of the deep oil fried foods, i am also increasing the amount of vegetables, fruits and started to calculate calories now and trying to adapt to the new lifestyle, feeling confused, but i am trying, and i'll get a food scale to help me measure my carbs intake in bread especially and other kinds of food too!
    and yes, eggs without bread don't ever fill me up :smile:
    thank you!