carbs addict

Options
dododididada
dododididada Posts: 182 Member
In the Arab world we eat alot of carbs in every single meal, like rice, white bread, dark bread and pasta, we are simply carbs addict, even eggs we eat it with bread.
Can anyone help me how to cut off carbs from every meal and feel full at the same time because I can't fell it without eating bread with every meal!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Do you have control or influence over the food available for you to eat?

• dododididada
    Options
    Do you have control or influence over the food available for you to eat?

Yes I have control on my food but it's a bad habit that I can't rid of right now
  • dododididada
    Options
    Why do you want to cut out carbs if you live in that culture? Weight loss is about eating less. It doesn't have to mean cutting carbs.

When I search for any kind of diets especially keto diet, it says that you have to cut out carbs to see results in 4 or 5 weeks.
    I know it's a bad habit, so I want to replace it or reduce it to the minimalist amount.
    I'm looking for a replacement till I cut it off in the beginning of my diet
    Or an advice from a previous carb addict.

When I first started weight loss I pretty much lived on carbs. I still lost weight. Only after learning a bit about nutrition did I start to try to hit my protein and fats goals every day.

Weight loss is about calories, not carbs. Yes, you can lose some water weight (in the beginning ) if you cut carbs - but let's be honest here. Are you going to stop eating bread for the rest of your life? How will that affect your food budget and your family life and social life? It isn't necessary. Just eat less bread.

The way to stop eating carbs is to increase protein and fat. So, learn about protein and fat and get more of it.

I still eat bread or other grains at almost every meal. I've been at my Goal weight for over 11 years.

it's impossible to cut it out, you're right.
    i'll search more about macros, because it says that i am exceeding my limits of carbs and fats although i am in my calories limit , and i am really confused right now.
  • dododididada
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I have carbs at almost every meal (it is the same in Latin America too) and I am still able to lose weight. Weight loss is about calorie reduction. You don't have to cut out carbs.

If you want to reduce your percentage of carbs in your diet, you can always have a smaller portion of the carb and a larger portion of the meat or vegetable.

another carb addict in the house :)
    i think so i'll try to stay in my calories limits with eating my carbs, thanks.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cut out carbs if you live in that culture? Weight loss is about eating less. It doesn't have to mean cutting carbs.

When I search for any kind of diets especially keto diet, it says that you have to cut out carbs to see results in 4 or 5 weeks.
    I know it's a bad habit, so I want to replace it or reduce it to the minimalist amount.

When I first started weight loss I pretty much lived on carbs. I still lost weight. Only after learning a bit about nutrition did I start to try to hit my protein and fats goals every day.

Weight loss is about calories, not carbs. Yes, you can lose some water weight (in the beginning ) if you cut carbs - but let's be honest here. Are you going to stop eating bread for the rest of your life? How will that affect your food budget and your family life and social life? It isn't necessary. Just eat less bread.

The way to stop eating carbs is to increase protein and fat. So, learn about protein and fat and get more of it.

I still eat bread or other grains at almost every meal. I've been at my Goal weight for over 11 years.

i'll search more about macros, because it says that i am exceeding my limits of carbs and fats although i am in my calories limit , and i am really confused right now.

Here's a couple links for you to read:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Just eat the food your family is eating but eat less of it. If you are in calories, you're good! :)
  • dododididada
    Options

Here's a couple links for you to read:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Just eat the food your family is eating but eat less of it. If you are in calories, you're good! :)

I'll read them, thank you so much for your help.
  • dododididada
    Options
    You don't need to go keto to lose weight. It's very hard for most people to sustain that long-term, so then once you eat carbs again the weight can creep back.

Carbs aren't a bad habit--most people eat like 40-50% of their calories from carbs. It's fine. To lose weight you need to eat less calories than you consume. So instead of rice and bread, maybe just choose one and then load up with more veggies and protein. Weigh your food with a scale and look at nutrition information. If it's homemade food, calculate calories through the recipe builder. Experiment and see if complex carbs like sweet potatoes or wholemeal bread keeps you fuller longer. It's good to have a decent macro split (carbs/fat/protein) to keep you satisfied and nourished, but you could literally eat nothing but potatoes and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. You'd just probably not feel all that great.

yes, it's true, keto is very hard especially for a beginner like me, i'll search for a dark bread or a whole grain bread as it contains less calories than the normal white bread.
    it turned out to be not a bad habit after all, as you guys all said, thank you so much.

Dark/whole grain bread doesn't often have less calories, it just has more fibre and sometimes protein so it tends to keep you fuller.

I searched now and I found that the Egyptian bread contains 250-300 calories while other kinds of breads like toast contains 70-80 calories, it's a big difference.
    I didn't know that, I thought it was only 150 calories, I'm shocked.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Just eat fewer carbs at every meal, there’s no need to eliminate them completely.
  • Sharod_BeastFit
    Sharod_BeastFit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's carbs in everything. And its difficult to not have carbs at all. But your body needs some carbs for fuel to your workout routines. Just portion those carbs to cut carbs like bread and rice with plenty of veggies in your meals. Drink plenty of water. That's how you get full.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and have to restrict carbs. When I eat at a Syrian restaurant in my town, I have rice and pita, just less. For dipping hummus and baba ganoush I like to use slices of cucumber or radish instead of bread. I will eat half a pita instead of a whole one and put the rest of my food on a salad. Also, to lower carbs in Arabic desserts, adding less syrup, sugar, or honey and increasing the amount of nuts and seeds works for me. I am very lucky that the chef at the restaurant I go to helps me figure out how to eat a proper amount of carbs for my illness, and still enjoy his food!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go keto to lose weight. It's very hard for most people to sustain that long-term, so then once you eat carbs again the weight can creep back.

Carbs aren't a bad habit--most people eat like 40-50% of their calories from carbs. It's fine. To lose weight you need to eat less calories than you consume. So instead of rice and bread, maybe just choose one and then load up with more veggies and protein. Weigh your food with a scale and look at nutrition information. If it's homemade food, calculate calories through the recipe builder. Experiment and see if complex carbs like sweet potatoes or wholemeal bread keeps you fuller longer. It's good to have a decent macro split (carbs/fat/protein) to keep you satisfied and nourished, but you could literally eat nothing but potatoes and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. You'd just probably not feel all that great.

yes, it's true, keto is very hard especially for a beginner like me, i'll search for a dark bread or a whole grain bread as it contains less calories than the normal white bread.
    it turned out to be not a bad habit after all, as you guys all said, thank you so much.

Dark/whole grain bread doesn't often have less calories, it just has more fibre and sometimes protein so it tends to keep you fuller.

Generally, it means more fiber (from the bran) and more fat (from the endosperm/wheat germ) and proportionately a little less protein (because the mesosperm is a smaller proportion of the overall recipe), assuming the baker isn't making other nutritionally significant changes beyond swapping out refined flour for whole grain flour.