How Do You Keep Your Maintenance Mojo?

I've been AWOL from MFP for a while ~ this maintenance lifestyle is harder than I thought, I was beginning to slip into old emotional eating habits (PUDDINGS are not the answer) I even fell down the rabbit hole of believing that I deserve extra treats as I'd done all the hard work of loosing weight. Heck I will not go backwards so I'm back to logging and getting my act together to get back into the right mindset.
How do you keep your maintenance mojo?

Replies

• Tolstolobik
    Tolstolobik Posts: 78 Member
    jan110144 wrote: »
    I hear you!

1. I have to eat close to maintenance. Eating too little, leaves me vulnerable to a binge.
    3. I target my TDEE number daily and no longer try to adjust for exercise. So far this is working well and has made the daily tracking a bit less complex.

This^.

• snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    I meal prep breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for the entire week every Sunday afternoon (it takes me about 3-4 hours depending on what I prepare). I plan to eat at my TDEE on training days M-F, and I knock off about 200 calories on my non-training days. I used data from my initial 30 pound weight loss to calculate my actual TDEE. Planning out a week's worth of meals and plugging them into MFP ahead of time and I changed the way I think about food. I try to view it only as fuel for my workouts. This may sound ridiculous, but I'm a car guy so I think of it as putting low octane fuel in a performance engine; I'm not going to do it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    It takes working at staying within my +/-5lbs goal range just the same as it did when I was wanting to lose.
    I use a daily trending weight app (Libra for Android/ Happy Scale for iphone). For me its all about staying within that range which keeps me motivated.
    I'm 6 years in maintenance which I am proud of. I aint going back to being the curvy sister/friend!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    I think you've already answered that by what you've resumed doing.
    Coming back here.
    I never left. I have to track always. I don't have reliable satiety cues. I can keep eating long past my maintenance cals before finally feeling full. I did have the issue of getting sabotaged on the weekend with calorie bombs, so I adjusted how much I eat during the week (eating a bit less) to offset the nonsense perpetrated by the weekend unpredictability. Unfortunately, I lent my food scale to a family so they could do a science fair project and during that time, I couldn't eyeball worth *kitten* and regained some weight. So I'm struggling to get that bit off. Relosing weight SUCKS and takes forever. It's best to just stay on track than have to come back to doing the weight loss do-si-do again. Ugh. :unamused:

samesies except for the part about someone borrowing my food scale. Ain't nobody taking that from me!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    I think you've already answered that by what you've resumed doing.
    Coming back here.
    I never left. I have to track always. I don't have reliable satiety cues. I can keep eating long past my maintenance cals before finally feeling full. I did have the issue of getting sabotaged on the weekend with calorie bombs, so I adjusted how much I eat during the week (eating a bit less) to offset the nonsense perpetrated by the weekend unpredictability. Unfortunately, I lent my food scale to a family so they could do a science fair project and during that time, I couldn't eyeball worth *kitten* and regained some weight. So I'm struggling to get that bit off. Relosing weight SUCKS and takes forever. It's best to just stay on track than have to come back to doing the weight loss do-si-do again. Ugh. :unamused:

samesies except for the part about someone borrowing my food scale. Ain't nobody taking that from me!

Yeah. I'm NEVER lending it EVER again. I have a back up scale now.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    roma49 wrote: »
    How do you keep your maintenance mojo?

Making it a habit. I can never go off the rails for too long because I don't even feel like myself anymore at that point. Regular exercise and mindful eating is a part of who I am.
  • rimir74
    rimir74 Posts: 29 Member
    I am eating my feelings a lot this month but the weight will not be allowed to budge no matter what cause I use MFP to diligently track.

So sure I snack a lot or whatever but tracking allows me to know that though I may feel hungry - I've got enough fuel and calories in me to function normally.

And so it goes everyday. And if not everyday - I only really keep an eye on weekly trends and that is usually manageable.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    My approach to maintaining is different than most. I weighed 260 lbs in January of 2017. I loss over 100 lbs in 8 months and have been in maintenance since. I take my weekends off (from Friday at lunch through Sunday night) eating more freely, less healthy but without gorging myself. First thing Monday morning I am back to my healthier choices. In a sense, this always has me in 'loss mode' during the week... but it has been a sustainable method for me for almost 2 years now. Typically my weight is up on the scale on Monday mornings, but by Wednesday or Thursday I usually have it right back in my 'comfort zone'. :) Weight loss and Maintaining are both about moderation.... you just have to find what works for you to keep that balance.

This is not a bad idea. I think this kind of plan would work for a lot of people if they actually took the time to understand it and were able to execute it properly. Congrats on your weight loss and finding a method of maintenance that works for you!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    i log in every day, keep up my exercise routine, and keep track of my weight and how my clothes are fitting. if i get to the top of my comfortable range, i work to get back down, but it's mostly just a change in food choices at this point. once you're more than a decade into it, you sort of know how to do it and what to expect. i'm concerned that my metabolism might change at some point, but if it does, i'll deal with it.