Newbie Advice

Options
I’m a newbie. I’ve come from Weight Watchers as I wasn’t happy with the customer service there.

Anyone lose any weight through MFP? I’m on my 1 month trial and I hope this works as I’ve got 4 stone to lose!!!

Replies

• MollyGreenwald
    MollyGreenwald Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    welcome! I am a dabbler. I track my food for a while then stop. I'm trying to maintain. Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,504 Member
    Options
    If you read in the "Success Stories" part of the forum, you'll find that many people lose weight using MFP.

A particularly good set of them are listed here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300359/most-helpful-posts-success-stories-must-reads

To learn how to best benefit from MFP, there are also "Most Helpful Posts" that have written by regular users, and nominated by other users to stick around (become "stickies") in order to help new people or people with questions.

The most useful ones for MFP beginners can be found here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads

and here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads

I lost 50+ pounds using MFP, from an obese weight to a healthy one, back in 2015 at age 59-60, while hypothyroid, without significantly changing my exercise routine. I've maintained a healthy weight since, still using MFP, and am now 63.

Best wishes! :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I started at 222 a few years ago and managed to lose and maintain over the years. I got serious about losing the rest of the weight in January and started eating healthier and working out. I used to be bedridden from a chronic pain issue and am amazed at all I'm doing. I just returned to the gym and am starting resistance training. My biggest tip is to get a food scale, that made a big difference to me. Also making one goal at a time helps. You can do this!
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    MFP is really a godsend. It's such a helpful tool for weight loss and overall health, whether you log every mouthful religiously or just now and then. Just seeing it in black and white, what I'm really consuming and what I'm getting out of it has been a huge help to me.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You absolutely don't need to spend any money to lose weight with MFP. You can use it as long as you want for free.

I've lost 23 pounds in the last 60 days.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    One thing to note is that MFP is a weight management tool not a weight management program. It won't tell you what to eat, when to eat or how to eat so it's a little bit different on that front.

So I don't think it's accurate to say that people have lost through MFP but rather MFP is a great tool that people have used (myself included) to help manage their weight.

The premise behind MFP is pretty simple. In order to lose weight you need to eat fewer calories than you use. MFP will use well known algorithms to estimate your daily calorie burn, create an appropriate calorie deficit based on your information and goals and provide you with a calorie target for each day.

Now that you have your calorie target you use MFP to track calories in the food you're eating and with this information you have awareness of your calorie intake and can adjust and control it as needed to hit your target. Again, MFP won't tell you what to eat, when to eat or anything like that, how you go about meeting your calorie target is entirely up to you

G'luck
  • alexissmith0103
    alexissmith0103 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight and I am trying to take it off