Keto/Paleo/WW/MFP/Vegan......

Options
So many diet plans I just don't know which one is right for me or the healthiest option long-term. What are you doing to successfully lose weight (especially if you are prediabetic and have hypertension)? I welcome sound advice and success stories. Thank you💙

Replies

• JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't know your specifics but you have to find something that you can be comfortable doing for the long term. You will have to try different things to see what works the best for you.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    well regardless of any 'diet' plan, i still count my calories. I am pre-diabetic as well as hypertension. i used MFP to figure out my calorie goal. as I have PCOS, it didn't help my body wasn't a fan of carbs, so i just did low carbs rather than eliminate carbs. I'm also doing IF of 16:8 under my doctor's advice. basically I eat my calorie limit between 10am and 6pm, so I'm still having 3 main meals a day, but this method has helped me meet my calorie limit and not feel hungry. I've been on this for 6 months though and it did take a while of readjusting stuff to work out what's best for me. I did simple things like swapping rice out for cauliflower rice, pasta for chickpea or pea pasta, getting portion controlled desserts rather than 1 litre tub of ice cream as I have no self control. same thing with soft drinks, I switched them for soda water and a food scale. It meant i didn't get the feeling of 'missing out' or 'restricting' my diet, but these things helped me make those small changes into long term ones now where I don't feel the urge or desire to eat sweets or bag of chips without thought.

I will reiterate, this is what is working for ME. it may not work for you. but if you're just starting out, I would honestly just count the calories and eat less processed food. avoid things that are heavily processed. you may find yourself less hungry if you're going for more wholesome foods.

Good luck. :)
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you’re worried about hypertension, then you’d probably be looking to reduce Sodium intake. The Dash diet has some good low sodium options/recipes. Otherwise, what everyone else said. Best diet is one you can sustain indefinitely.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,919 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    i picked none of the above. my diet has no fancy name.

i eat foods i like and keep me full at a calorie deficit. obviously it means i have to made decisions on foods that eat up too many calories and don't keep me full.

here is a great post
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

You beat me to it!
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    So many diet plans I just don't know which one is right for me or the healthiest option long-term. What are you doing to successfully lose weight (especially if you are prediabetic and have hypertension)? I welcome sound advice and success stories. Thank you💙

The first pounds I lost was from eating in moderation and exercising, my weight-loss was stalling so I started doing keto and my weight started dropping again. Now I’m at goal and maintaining, off keto. I don’t think it’s practical for me to be on a diet plan or micromanage calories or macros or weigh foods for the rest of my life.
  • mbg_pr
    mbg_pr Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Me and my husband have been vegan for little over a year. It was the best decision we've ever made. We have energy, a healthy weight, and we feel good about how a vegan lifestyle supports sustainability and an improved environment. And yes, I get tons of soy-free protein from foods. There is not a single documented case of protein deficiency in vegeyarians/vegans, so don't let that misguide your choice! :)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    My sister follows DASH per her doctor’s orders for hypertension. It helped her avoid meds. I follow DASH loosely to support her (80% compliant). Both of us count calories for weight loss. Between DASH and increased exercise she was able to reduce her blood pressure even though she hasn’t lost weight recently (due to going over calories).

Almost any weight loss diet boils down to a calorie deficit. Ways of eating to control medical issues are a great conversation for you to have with your doctor about your specific situation.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Just want to comment that a vegan diet isn't a weight loss plan, it's an ethical standpoint.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,001 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Just want to comment that a vegan diet isn't a weight loss plan, it's an ethical standpoint.

Neither is keto or paleo - they are not weight loss plans either, just ways of eating, just like veganism

although, yes, I get that veganism is a way of eating with an ethical standpoint underpinning it for most people.