Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent Fasting - Is it a good idea?

cheryldumais
cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
Thought this was well written and wanted to hear others' thoughts on it.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide#benefits

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I'm thinking of trying it as I find I'm hungry all the time. I'm in maintenance but seems like food is all I ever think about. Last night I had a larger than normal dinner and didn't eat anything else. I went to bed without feeling deprived at all. I'm beginning to think all my snacks and little meals are just making it harder to stay on track. We'll see if it makes any difference.

I understand what you mean. I recently tested the OMAD waters for 45 consecutive days during Lent 2019, fasting 22 hours each day and then eating during a very small feeding window of 2 hours, until the sun set. What I discovered is that I enjoy eating big when I eat rather than nibbling all day long with little bitty meals. I went to bed full, slept well and, after a good cup of morning coffee, was good until the following evening when the feeding window opened again.

You'll quickly discover whether it'll work for you.

Thanks for sharing that. It's helpful.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I have an issue with it suggesting that IF inherently "causes" weight loss; you still need a caloric deficit. Just because someone skips breakfast doesn't guarantee a deficit.

The article I suggested made the statement more than once that you still have to take in fewer calories to lose weight I believe. I understand your point though. I'm in maintenance so my goal is more keeping weight off and feeling more satisfied when I do eat.

I was referring to the bullet list at the beginning where it says "intermittent fasting can help you lose weight and belly fat, without having to consciously restrict calories". That could be easily be misconstrued by a casual reader.

I'm also a firm believer that IF can be helpful in managing calories; anytime I've tried it I've had positive results and better adherence to my calorie deficit but I find it doesn't align with my training and lifestyle needs so it's not sustainable for me. Between weight training early in the morning before work during the week and the frequency of breakfast gatherings with my wife's family the possible benefits are outweighed by detractors personally.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    16:8 is my natural and preferred way to eat; it's how I ate while gaining and losing weight, and still how I eat while maintaining (going on 7 years). In my case, I still had/have to consciously restrict calories. If I were to eat the portions I actually want to, I would absolutely gain weight regardless of IF.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I'm thinking of trying it as I find I'm hungry all the time. I'm in maintenance but seems like food is all I ever think about. Last night I had a larger than normal dinner and didn't eat anything else. I went to bed without feeling deprived at all. I'm beginning to think all my snacks and little meals are just making it harder to stay on track. We'll see if it makes any difference.

Hungry ALL the time may be a problem - daily time restricted windows often work best when someone is hungrier part of the day and less hungry at other times of the day.

e.g.
    Someone like me that can easily skip breakfast without being any more (or less) hungry until later in the day so that I can eat more of my daily allowance at my preferred time of day (big dinner + snack).
    I like breakfast but most of the time I don't actually need it.

Personally though I disliked the rigidity of strict 16:8 fasting and it made me less satiated for the same calorie allowance compared to my more natural breakfast optional style of eating.

Worth a try though. As would simply be worth trying different numbers, sizes and timing of your meals. (My wife can save a load of calories by skipping or having a very small lunch.)