Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent Fasting - Is it a good idea?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    I also don't remember breakfast being invented by cereal companies. I'm pretty sure the term comes from breaking the fast, i.e., the first time someone eats when waking up. The word goes back to Middle English, so as old as ~1066, though that's just for the English word, not the concept.

Strictly speaking, breakfast itself wasn't invented by cereal companies, it was the myth that breakfast "is the most important meal of the day". That was an advertising slogan (Kellogg's? Post? I forget whose) that was repeated so often that it eventually just became accepted as a fact.

If that was what we being referenced as invented by companies, it was stated in a way that wasn't clear. Framed that way doesn't seem particularly relevant either. That companies may have championed breakfast as most important doesn't show something unusual or wrong in having breakfast. It seemed like there was an implication that breakfast is unnatural.

Correct, and I'm pretty sure that's not what the prior poster was trying to say.

It's well known and commonly stated on MFP that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is a myth and it's totally fine to skip breakfast if that's your natural pattern. Also, no one promotes eating lots of snacks and mini meals unless someone finds that is helpful for them. But that also means that there's no reason to eat in a window or only once or twice a day or to skip breakfast unless that is a pattern that is helpful for a particular individual.
  • RachsLosses
    RachsLosses Posts: 103 Member
    I have just started experimenting with IF using a variety of timings. I find it easier to do 16:8 through the week and then I try a longer fast on weekends. I'm just playing around at the moment but trying to get into the process of making active decisions about my consumption as opposed to inactive. I'm a massive CICO person and have had a lot of success with this in the past but trying IF to get back on the control train :smile: Feel free to add me and let's see how this goes!
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    I can't intermittent fast, at least not without health consequences. Last time I tried IF, I almost went into a hypoglycemic coma (was hospitalized). That's when I stopped completely.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I like the idea it gives you're body a rest when you do 16:8 .

Your body rests when you sleep.

Yes. And you're body needs rest from food.

Are you eating while you sleep?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited June 2019

I had a friend in university who would legit eat while sleepwalking. Her body was able to process that food just fine. She did, however, gain weight. ;)

We ended up having to tie the cupboards and the fridge shut at night so she wouldn't eat us out of house and dorm, though. For some reason, her sleepwalking brain couldn't figure that out. :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member

I had a friend in university who would legit eat while sleepwalking. Her body was able to process that food just fine. She did, however, gain weight. ;)

We ended up having to tie the cupboards and the fridge shut at night so she wouldn't eat us out of house and dorm, though. For some reason, her sleepwalking brain couldn't figure that out. :)

That's funny lol.

For anyone interested, a friend recommended this read regarding IF.

https://humankinetics.me/2019/06/21/intermittent-fasting-healthy/

Tis a pretty informative read.