Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent Fasting - Is it a good idea?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I like the idea it gives you're body a rest when you do 16:8 .

Your body rests when you sleep.

Yes. And you're body needs rest from food.

Are you eating while you sleep?

I had a friend in university who would legit eat while sleepwalking. Her body was able to process that food just fine. She did, however, gain weight. ;)

We ended up having to tie the cupboards and the fridge shut at night so she wouldn't eat us out of house and dorm, though. For some reason, her sleepwalking brain couldn't figure that out. :)

I sleep-ate once last year around this time. It was a very unsettling experience because I cooked chicken from raw for myself. The thermometer was out so my OCD about stuff like that must still work in my dreams.

I don't recall her actually trying to cook anything, thank God. But all the good stuff? Like the cookies and chocolate and donuts and ice cream and bread? Poof. Gone. :s
  • GuessimGryffindor
    GuessimGryffindor Posts: 642 Member
    I’ve been reading up about IF on lean gains. The theory is sound, I’ve recently started following, as has been said ultimately calorie deficit is the proven way.
  • becomingamachine
    becomingamachine Posts: 4 Member
    Totally, for me at least. I used to weigh 260 with no muscle, through IF and bodyweight workouts at home I'm now 195lbs and hard as a rock! :)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    This is funny, at least it was for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntVykcueZE8
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited July 2019
    So anyway, I said:

"It just seems weird to call not eating while you sleep "fasting."

I see no reason to think my body "enjoys" a rest from food. Digestion takes longer if you eat more, so the difference between a bunch of small meals or 2 big ones (or grazing within a window or whatever) seems minimal to me.

Lately, I eat at around 6:30, 12, and 9 on Mon-Thurs, and at around noon and whenever dinner time is (earlier) on Friday through Sunday. My Friday through Sunday schedule just naturally fits in a common IF pattern, although I have other reasons for it (it allows for 2x a month Friday work lunches, dinner at restaurant on Fri or Sat, and either a bigger brunch or bigger dinner on Sunday, and on Friday through Sunday I can eat dinner earlier without having to eat it at work (and often eat before a play or a concert)). I don't really think I "fast" more on Friday through Sunday in reality -- I eat about the same amount, and I spend the same amount of time not eating. In any case, my body does not seem to "enjoy" one pattern more than the other. Why the need to claim your way of doing things is superior?"

I bolded the most relevant bits.

Your response ("If you seriously believe that allowing your digestive system a break from processing food is not beneficial then you don’t understand how the body works") is not actually responsive at all, and does not address my points about your body not actually spending more time digesting when I'm not eating within a window (or for people who like more frequent smaller meals).

Instead, you merely make unsupported claims that your preferred way of eating is superior.

I again don't see why that's a claim you feel a need to make, but it would be helpful if you would respond to my actual points.

And again, traditionally human eating patterns were dictated by culture and varied depending on the culture. People did not try to distinguish themselves by claiming a special personal eating window or insisting their personal diets were superior (well, probably some did, but it would have been unusual in most traditional cultures and within the context of Western Christian culture it would usually have been more of a hypocritical moral stance (I'm the humblest, look at how very humble I am!). European Christian culture (among others) did have various "fasts" which sometimes meant not eating, but much more often meant cutting out specific foods. But you already claimed that stuff done in the Middle Ages and after does not matter.