Do you eat exercise cals ?

124»

Replies

• bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    If I am hungry or doing a physically taxing or involved task where I will need the fuel.
  • Nanoosh92
    Nanoosh92 Posts: 12 Member
    size102b wrote: »
    Hi I had some nice people help me with my issues about exercise calories. Would you mind telling me what’s been most successful for you ?
    1. Not eating exercise calories ?
    2. Eating all exercise calories ?
    3. Eating % exercise calories ?

Thanks 😁

Well it depends on how much weight you want to lose. If you set yourself on a 1200 calorie diet to lose 2 pounds weekly, then if you don't exercise at all you will lose 2 lbs/week. But when when you exercise you lose more than the expected, provided that you didn't eat the exercise calories or ate only a percentage of it. For example, if your exercise calories were 200 cal, then if you only eat 1200 that day, by subtracting them both, it will appear as if you only ate 1000 cal that day and thereby you will lose more that week, but if you eat the 200 cal, it will appear as if you ate only the 1200 cal of the day and you will be on the same track of the 2 lbs/week goal. In other words, eating the exercise cal will leave you moving on your weight loss goal, while not eating it or eating only a portion of it gives you an additive loss above your weight loss goal.
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    My workout and eating is crazy, lol. My goal is 200lbs to 160lbs. Unsure this is what You're after, but I've included totals of 4 main items. Should be 5/23 thru 5/31. As You see, my daily intake is extremely poor, but I feel great, hmmm.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Nanoosh92 wrote: »
    size102b wrote: »
    Hi I had some nice people help me with my issues about exercise calories. Would you mind telling me what’s been most successful for you ?
    1. Not eating exercise calories ?
    2. Eating all exercise calories ?
    3. Eating % exercise calories ?

Thanks 😁

Well it depends on how much weight you want to lose. If you set yourself on a 1200 calorie diet to lose 2 pounds weekly, then if you don't exercise at all you will lose 2 lbs/week. But when when you exercise you lose more than the expected, provided that you didn't eat the exercise calories or ate only a percentage of it. For example, if your exercise calories were 200 cal, then if you only eat 1200 that day, by subtracting them both, it will appear as if you only ate 1000 cal that day and thereby you will lose more that week, but if you eat the 200 cal, it will appear as if you ate only the 1200 cal of the day and you will be on the same track of the 2 lbs/week goal. In other words, eating the exercise cal will leave you moving on your weight loss goal, while not eating it or eating only a portion of it gives you an additive loss above your weight loss goal.

No no no no no...

Sorry if it feels like I'm picking on you somewhat but a few of your posts have been filled with information that's at best incorrect and at worst downright dangerous and they MUST be responded to lest someone actually listens to the terrible information and advice you're providing.

You don't set yourself at 1200 calories per week. MFP sets your calorie target based on the information you enter. More if you're getting a 1200 calorie target at 2lb per week I'll bet my last dollar that a 2lb weekly target is too aggressive for the amount of weight you have to lose. 1200 is the lowest MFP will go.

More, recommending someone not eat exercise calories back (which is how the app is designed to work), particularly when eating the bare minimum 1200 calories in order to speed up weight loss is grossly inappropriate information and is advocating for VLC dieting and extremely dangerous practices.

Please don't take this as an attack on you personally, it's not but the information you're providing could lead to some people getting very very sick and trigger some extremely harmful behaviour.