Not really sure what to do :/

Options
Hello there :)

A bit of background - I've struggled with my weight from very early on. More than the number itself, what others said about it and how it made me feel while looking at myself has resulted in a fairly terrible relationship with food. From being a consistent binger to eventually also going through bouts of purging - my issue with the weight has affected several aspects of my life.

I don't know whether all of these have affected my metabolism that losing weight and becoming fit has become a massive challenge. I started counting calories albeit inconsistently about 2 years ago but haven't really seen any kind of result. The challenge for me is after three days of sticking to my prescribed goal of 1200 calories a day, I usually have one day where I eat everything in sight. The day I go on the scale to check my weight and I see it's gone up or remained the same despite (in my head) consistent effort I get extremely demotived and take a few more days to get back on track.

I'm about 20 lbs from where I need to be but the more important thing is my fat percentage is abnormally high - about 38%

Over the last 3 months, I made a resolution that I would stop worrying too much about the result or lack thereof buy stick to eating well and being fit. I've tried to do yoga for an hour about 3-4 days a week and also go to the gym for a mix of cardio and strength about 3 days a week for the last 3 months. My calorie intake has remained at 1200, barring a few days in between. I've also started a practice of managing calories when i need to go out so one buffet or brunch doesn't throw me off too much.

At the end of these three months, I had lost 1 pound. I don't know where I'm going wrong and what more I need to do but any help would be much appreciated ? It's challenge to drag myself away from that cake or wake up early to go to the gym when you feel like it's not worth it :(

Replies

• Foodforthought125
    Foodforthought125 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your plight- I've been in the same boat since early adolescence and it's a constant challenge.

What I've found for me is that it's not just "calories in/calories out", but the quality of what I'm eating (and drinking). I'm a junk food junkie and when I accepted that and started to look at where my calories were coming from, I made better food choices. Like you, once I start eating the stuff I'm addicted to (salty, fatty, sugary foods) I fall right back into the trap- and feel lousy.

Those plateaus and fluctuations can really make me crazy too, and it's really when I realized that healthful food as fuel kept me more consistent not only in calories, but water retention, bloating and hunger. Most of my calories come from unprocessed foods- lightly grilled/baked meat, whole grains, lots of veggies and fruit, olive oil, maple syrup for sweetening. I don't eat between meals, don't use sugar, no diet sodas (seltzer with a splash of juice), drink wine occasionally.

I've accepted that I can only have "treat foods" when I'm at a party, or on special occasions. And that's not so bad, it means I get a break every once in a while- and it's planned. I look forward to that without making myself crazy. I'm also consistent with exercise, but not obsessive, so I don't feel like I'm going to collapse :-) And if I miss a day, I don't beat myself up.

It sounds limiting, but when I simplified my daily food, everything became easier to track. If I'm out, or at a party, I choose one great thing as a treat instead of "grazing"; If I have dinner at someone's house I eat what they serve.

I can tell you this works- as long as I keep it up:-) I've fallen off and found myself putting on the lbs again. Which is why I still come back here.

Basically, don't get too frustrated- sometimes it's changing the routine and keeping at it. The fact that you're here and asking means you're going to make it happen!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    @Panini911 has given you some really good advice.

Step back. You can work through this.

You seem to say in your post that you are dissatisfied with your body composition and want to lose about 20 lbs. Accept that body recomp combined with weight loss can be a very slow process.

You mention specifically that you’ve been working for 3 months but only lost 1 lb. Have you noticed a change in your fitness?

The gym is a great teacher of incrementalism. The lessons of the gym can be reverse engineered into weight loss.

But you really need a longer term view. You are only as good as your plan. And the first hallmark of a good plan is you can actually live with it. Rethink 1200 calories. In reality 1200 calories is getting you 1/3 of a lb per month. Can you recalculate as suggested, aim for .5 lb loss per week and actually stick to it? Try it.

Finding an effective weight loss plan you can stick with is the most powerful thing in weight loss. Don’t concern yourself with how long it takes. Plan the next 3 months. Figure out your fitness goals and how you will track that. Don’t have the scale as your only feedback tool. Re-evaluate again in 3 months and adjust and improve your plan from there. It’s all just a big experiment. Keep working. You can do this.
  • Krish1209
    Krish1209 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips guys :)@Foodforthought125 I need to definitely find a way to move from a small treat a week to a treat depending on occasion. When I have a tough day at work the natural instinct is to go to the department store and pick up something nice to eat. It doesn't help I work in the food space so am constantly surrounded by food :/ Thank you for the tips :smile:

@Panini911 - Well that was the goal that I got in MFP when I put a target of 1kg loss per week. Would you be able to help with how I can ensure I'm still ensuring a deficit - correctly tracking how many calories i burn through exercise and otherwise ?

With regards to measuring food intake - most of what I eat for my main meals is home cooked so it's basis actuall cup measurement or scales. Otherwise I try to do a best estimate.

@88olds - over the last three months I've definitely noticed a slight improvement in strength and a definite improvement in stamina and energy which is definitely a positive sign.

Will look at the rest of the links shared as well :D
  • Dandylines
    Dandylines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I will be blunt and hope not to offend. I suggest that you get some professional - psychological and nutritional help.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    With 20lb to go, a 1kg/week rate of loss is too much. with that little to lose it's recommended to lose at a rate no faster than 1lb/week (or .5kg/week) and you should look at going down to 0.5lb/week (or 0.25kg/week) for the last 10-15.

is someone else cooking? ideally especially with so little to lose you would weigh each ingredient that goes in. How close do they stick to a recipe?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

I am not a pro on exercise burn calculations, you can post another thread asking about specific exercise. I use my fitbit and synch to MFP.

Sounds like the issue is you are eating more than you think you are (which isn't terrible as 1200 calories is too low)
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Read this too: http://physiqonomics.com/eating-too-much/

I love this article. No kid gloves. Helped me stop fooling myself and shed some light on potential pitfalls.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I love this article. No kid gloves. Helped me stop fooling myself and shed some light on potential pitfalls.

That article is awesome. It's going into my library of links.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

Oh my god. This article sent me down a rabbit trail for the last 45 minutes. Great stuff. And I totally appreciate the no kid gloves approach.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts!
    1. Deep breath! 20 lbs is totally doable!
    2. How are you calculating those 1200 calories? What is MOST LIKELY is you are actually eating more than that, something akin to maintenance calories. Perhaps you are underestimating calories in OR overestimating calories burned at yoga, etc
    3. How did you get the 38%? If it is from a step on scale, it could be an inaccurate report.

Hang in there!