Maintenance is hard, you guys

I know I’m the millionth person to make this statement, but it’s true. I’ve been in maintenance for going on 3 months and I’m still not comfortable with it. From what I’ve read and what my Ideal Protein Coach has told me, it takes a year to get it down pat.

My weight is definitely creeping up. I can no longer deny it, though I’m still lower than my reset weight. My coach and I have come up with some simple tweaks to stop and reverse the trend. These include decreasing carb intake for breakfast and having one indulgent meal or less (never a whole day) per week.

I’m going out of state next week to visit family. It will be difficult, but I’m determined to stay in my calorie range. I don’t know if I should set myself up for failure regarding my macros, though, as my choices will be limited. I’m definitely going to stay within my macro range when I return on Thursday

That’s all. Words of wisdom are always appreciated

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2019
    - it's just the realization that we'll have to be vigilant FOR LIFE if we want to maintain.[/quote]

Truth!

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @Hammig74 I enjoy the transparency and honesty of what you share in your posts. I judge in the long run, you’ll be fine.

I’m newer to maintenance than you and thus far my experience has been different. I share a little of what I’m doing in this topic:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10742912/struggling-to-figure-out-maintainence#latest

Maybe there’s a nugget for you there.

Enjoy your family visit, wishing you the best.
  • Hammig74
    Hammig74 Posts: 28 Member
    @Hammig74 I enjoy the transparency and honesty of what you share in your posts. I judge in the long run, you’ll be fine.

I’m newer to maintenance than you and thus far my experience has been different. I share a little of what I’m doing in this topic:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10742912/struggling-to-figure-out-maintainence#latest

Maybe there’s a nugget for you there.

Enjoy your family visit, wishing you the best.

Thank you for sharing. Your post is helpful. I enjoy the community here on MFP. It makes me feel like we’re all in this together
  • Hammig74
    Thanks everyone. You put some thought into your responses, which puts you in the top percentile of all social media citizens!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I maintained a 40 lb loss for 4 years and then gained 25 lbs back. I did not weigh often. Now I weigh every day except vacations. I lost 30 this summer so back to maintenance since Oct. YOu said it would probably take a year to figure this out, I agree, since Oct still trying to figure out how many calories to maintain, trial and error. I started eating a lot of carbs and that made a difference, up 4 lbs so have to watch that. I guess everyone is different, let us know. Lifetime of being cautious for sure. I watch how skinny people eat now, sure different from me. I eat about 1/2 what I use to.
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    When I travel and know I have to eat out, I revert to intermittent fasting. I take a day or two (trip duration dependent) on the trip and the day after I return to only eat 600 calories. Also, as it was mentioned above, just keep within your calories goals the best you can. If you eat out alway eat a lean protein, pass on the fried stuff, swap out the calorie bomb sides, and regulate your portion as required (plan to take some leftovers). Drink lots of water!
  • Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    I've been in maintenance for about a month and am already up 1.5/2lbs(0.4+ from my weekly averages) from my lowest. I'm sure some of it is water weight but I also did over eat several days in a row, It's seriously a struggle already so yeah..It's hard.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Offering hope by sharing I’m almost 3 months into maintenance and today was 16th consecutive day of morning BW below the low of my maintenance weight range. Obviously, I’m doing a lousy job on the CI of the CICO equation but have ramped up my running lately so maybe it’s the CO causing this.

The message is a glimmer of hope your maintenance experience will be pleasant.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    I don’t count calories on special days - visits to family, holidays. I tighten up my logging when that’s over and it’s worth the little bump on the scale because it’s gone within two weeks.
  • Hammig74
    I just picked up some weight due to a two week vacation and am a little bummed. BUT, it was a long vacation and I’m actually looking forward to having a stricter diet for several months until my next one (beginning of November, Vegas for a work conference. I will enjoy my fave Vegas restaurants while I’m there - Michael Mina, Yardbird, Jean Georges...)
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Hammig74 wrote: »
    I know I’m the millionth person to make this statement, but it’s true. I’ve been in maintenance for going on 3 months and I’m still not comfortable with it. From what I’ve read and what my Ideal Protein Coach has told me, it takes a year to get it down pat.

My weight is definitely creeping up. I can no longer deny it, though I’m still lower than my reset weight. My coach and I have come up with some simple tweaks to stop and reverse the trend. These include decreasing carb intake for breakfast and having one indulgent meal or less (never a whole day) per week.

I’m going out of state next week to visit family. It will be difficult, but I’m determined to stay in my calorie range. I don’t know if I should set myself up for failure regarding my macros, though, as my choices will be limited. I’m definitely going to stay within my macro range when I return on Thursday

That’s all. Words of wisdom are always appreciated

1) Track size, not weight. (Look up re-composition).

2) Any individual day is not going to make a change. It takes weeks to really bed in a direction.

3) Maintenance must be made to suit your lifestyle (including social events, travel, good times, troubled times, etc..). Otherwise it is not maintenance. You should plan to be in maintenance for the rest of your life. Make it easy on yourself. Make it a habit that is easy to maintain.

For me, low gluten, helps. It automatically keeps me low carb and away from a lot of processed foods. I don't go for advertised "gluten free" foods (as these tend to be highly processed gluten food substitutes). I just choose styles of food that are naturally gluten free.

A lot of highly processed foods are carb rich and fibre poor (as the processing strips a lot of the fibre). Consequently, a lot of processed foods are easy to over-eat as they are low is satiety (do not make you feel full, or keep you feeling full).

Shape your preferences and habits and let them do the work for you.
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    I've been in maintenance for just about a month, now. I still weigh myself daily and I still track, but not as strictly - I ballpark low calorie things, but measure out the calorie-dense stuff. The more convenient I can make it for myself, the more likely I am to keep up with it, at this point. It's easy (dare I say, kind of fun!) to be rigorous about weighing/portioning when there's a goal in mind, but that becomes tedious during maintenance, so I give myself a break.
    I also have decided to keep my calories at a 0.5 lb deficit on MFP, precisely because I'm letting myself ballpark things. I like to overestimate, and this way if I'm a little bit over on my daily calories, I feel more comfortable that it's actually closer to maintenance than to a "real" overage.
    So far, so good, anyway...

An additional, huge benefit to me during this whole journey was training my body to accept normal sized portions, and working up the mental moxie to actually stop eating when I'm not hungry (silly - but it needed to happen!). Sometimes it's less about listening to my body telling me it's full, and more about yelling at my body letting it know it's full (as I take ooonneee more spoonful of ice cream... haha).