May Challenge: Maintainers Back on Track Thread

1235»

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,953 Member
    jan110144 wrote: »
    132.5 ... mid-point for maintenance, and my "ideal" number. May was a rocky go, but I think I am starting to figure this out.

I’m thrilled to read this, @jan110144 !
  • Fatgonegirl
    Fatgonegirl Posts: 126 Member
    Hello everyone,

I've have been away from home visiting friends and family in another part of the country. I returned on Tuesday (28th). Once all the water weight had been through my system I am 1lb more than I was before the trip. That isn't too bad given the amount of eating and drinking I did :)

Like most of us, I find weight maintenance a struggle. Having reached my target weight and maintained for about 6 months I stopped logging and put on 11lbs between Jan and the end of March. Reading the post on this challenge this is a very common story. Most people have to work massively hard to shift the weight but just as hard, if not harder to keep it off.

It seems counter intuitive, you would think once we hit our goal we would have all the skills and knowledge to continue to eat in maintenance, but the opposite happens. Does science know why this is?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited June 2019
    Hello everyone,

I've have been away from home visiting friends and family in another part of the country. I returned on Tuesday (28th). Once all the water weight had been through my system I am 1lb more than I was before the trip. That isn't too bad given the amount of eating and drinking I did :)

Like most of us, I find weight maintenance a struggle. Having reached my target weight and maintained for about 6 months I stopped logging and put on 11lbs between Jan and the end of March. Reading the post on this challenge this is a very common story. Most people have to work massively hard to shift the weight but just as hard, if not harder to keep it off.

It seems counter intuitive, you would think once we hit our goal we would have all the skills and knowledge to continue to eat in maintenance, but the opposite happens. Does science know why this is?

I think it's the same reason we got overweight to begin with. Fundamentally, you are YOU no matter what. Humans are really good at lying to themselves and wanting to buck authority. We know what we should and should not do but something within ourselves struggles still. We can learn all kinds of ways to hack our brains with tricks and routines to get ourselves to that goal weight, but all the wonderful things that are wrong with us are still there. At least that's my experience dealing with my inner-brat who constantly wants to eat a lot of calorie-dense, hyper-palatable things. She wants her belly stuffed all the time. Sometimes I'm better at telling her to go to her room than other times. :smirk: