Anyone out there getting ready for Irene?

Options

Replies

• time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm in Virginia Beach. After a couple days of shopping (a lot of store shelves were cleared already of essentials come Wednesday) I managed to restock our supplies. This morning I'm gonna hit the gym because I *need* to do something non-hurricane related for lil bit. Then when I come back I'll go around the outside house to inspect for any that needs to be pulled into the garage. Everyone please be safe this weekend!
  • Lisabackontrack
    Options
    I'm in NS, Canada and it's not supposed to hit us directly but they say we'll get some wind/rain from it. We're keeping an eye on things and are prepared. God bless!
  • hlavers
    hlavers Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm in Nova Scotia and as with the other hurricanes these last few years it can be hit or miss depending on the path. Doing the usual, bringing in patio furniture, stocking up on canned food and batteries and hoping for the best. It's due to hit us here on Monday, just in time to fight the wind and rain to get into work....yippee :S lol

Stay safe everyone!!
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I'm in CT, and I will be at the beach taking pictures of the waves on Sunday! :bigsmile:
  • msbeavert
    Options
    I'm in Southern NJ. Leaving work early today to hit up BJ's and a few other places to get ready. Need to get the swing and grill off the deck when I get home too. All the county courthouses closed due to weather prep except the one I work in and this is the one that get's flooded all the time. Makes no sense! My kids are excited, this is their first big storm other than the last eight or so blizzards we've had. lol
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I'm on the eastern side of North Carolina, about 100 miles or so from the coast. Calling for high winds and rain, so we are prepared, I'm leaving now to get the truck gassed up, get the wine and beer for the weekend, and then there's nothing much more we can do. I got most of the furniture and other outside items put away yesterday, and when hubby got home, he helped with the rest, got the gas for the generator, and made sure the chainsaw fired up! My brother lives in Glassboro, NJ, and my other brother in Chesterfield, NJ, so they will feel some impact from the storm as well. Praying for all to stay safe!
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Philadelphia here. Havent prepared at all, no. But today I plan on hitting the food store and getting anything we'll need. I'm expecting the stores to be flooded. I think all i'll need is some water, food, toilet paper haha, candles, playing cards. Oh, and a boat :) Lol.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Connecticut here- not really worried as I have adequate preps. 3 months of food and water stockpiled downstairs, all cooking applainces are gas, gas grill, etc. For flushing toilets we have a 36,000 gallon pool to get water from.

Wife went out and grabbed some extra canned goods and baby wipes for a "bath" if needed along with some candles.

My cell phone can be recharged from the car and my laptop can connect via the cell phone as well as run off the car. I have 20 gallons of extra gas in the garage and both cars will be filled up tonight.

Tonight we do a final shakedown of the outside to make sure everything is picked up and cleared.

My only regret is we have not yet gotten a generator :/ but eh- people lived without power long before we had it so we will survive.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Growing up in Florida and being directly in the path of three hurricanes in a row one summer, I don't find it to be a big deal at all. People are acting like it's the apocalypse, but I suppose I can't blame you because you guys up here aren't used to this sort of thing. I'm in CT now, and I hear it's only supposed to be cat 1 by the time it hits, so I'm not even a little bit worried. I'll just sleep like I always do in a hurricane. (Though we do need batteries for the flashlights, just in case our power goes out.)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Not on the EAST but in Houston/Galveston and we got hit with Hurricane Ike a few years back. If they order you to evacuate please follow orders and don't stay behind thinking you will be safe in a category 3 maybe 4 because you won't be!!!!!
    Ike was C.1 and so many people needed assistance DURING the hurricane to get out AFTER they were told to evacuate!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Growing up in Florida and being directly in the path of three hurricanes in a row one summer, I don't find it to be a big deal at all. People are acting like it's the apocalypse, but I suppose I can't blame you because you guys up here aren't used to this sort of thing. I'm in CT now, and I hear it's only supposed to be cat 1 by the time it hits, so I'm not even a little bit worried. I'll just sleep like I always do in a hurricane. (Though we do need batteries for the flashlights, just in case our power goes out.)

Actually C2.

http://www.stormpulse.com/
  • tristahenry
    Options
    Jersey here... planning living arrangements for friends and family for the weekend. Gotta put stuff away tonight and do a little cooking. We're a flood prone area inland, haven't gotten evac. notice yet but waiting for the order. We survive regular storms wiht pumps on our property to keep the water from the house and a sump in the basement so I have a gas genny just in case power goes out. Stay safe everyone!
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm in Eastern PA and we are suppost to get 2-3" of rain and 50mph winds. I don't consider that a big deal but my husband is freaking out. He's gone out and gotten bottled water, candles, glow sticks (awesome!) and food for the puppies. I'm just cranky it's going to rain on Sunday.
  • Joan1354
    Options
    I am trying to get ready. Never been this close to one, so alittle nervous.
    :smile:
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wilmington, NC also! We live in a 2nd floor condo so definitely won't be flooded. I'm a little concerned about the high winds and breaking glass. Got all the supplies we'll need if we lose power. Hope everybody stays safe!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i'm on the Chesapeake - i have to re-dig our drainage ditch tonight and bring in the deck furnature. besides that, we're good. food and water all ready.

do need to make a chili in the crock pot in case we lose power, we can eat. charge the batteries in the cell phones. fill the bathtub. but that's all tomorrow stuff.

STAY SAFE EVERYONE!!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i'm in VA...need to buy a flashlight and lots o' h2O after work. first the earthquake, now the hurricane! what next? sheesh!
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Va here....Just to much to do.....but at least after Isabelle hit we know how to be better prepared this time just really not looking forward to the power outages that I know are coming
  • SWC54
    SWC54 Posts: 14
    Options
    We live on Jersey shore too--we call it the beach though. So bummed that our beautiful beaches are going to get it! Got water, batteries , the works---Irene go out to sea and leave us alone!! Earthquake and hurricane in one week is just TOO much--be safe everyone!
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    i live near mountains in western nc... so my preparredness consists of staying at work.. wearing sunglasses... and praying for everyone on the coast...