• _Paparazzi_
    _Paparazzi_ Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I relate everything you said OP.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    Just to clarify we do not drink our tea with cream. That would be an abomination. And NEVER offer warm milk with a cuppa. Its cold milk.

Sugar optional.

Milk last as well :) and its safer to let a Brit put their own milk in too....not that we are particular about the whole tea thing............much.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Imtired2019 > If it’s not working change it up. I find if I plateau I got to redo the menu items to curb something or try a different food.What works for the few doesn’t work for all.Tgat goes for any diet out there.
    Here’s the latest fad celery juice diet- you drink it down sit on the toilet non-stop get pimples lol. At least that’s what truthful reviews say lol. I tried a few diet items like green tea Lipton in the bottle 0 calories it claims I went up. I heard from my cousin he uses the bags no sugar or substitute it’s not effecting him.I switched it up my body wasn’t reacting the same as others on it.
    I find certain foods cause so much weight gain in me or water gains it’s ridiculous yet another I drop weight easily but may/may not love it.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    I’m going to start Tea anonymous group- we all got tea addictions lol I’ll allow coffee drinkers it’s the wine of the bunch.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It took me YEARS of yo-yo dieting to lose the “all or nothing” mentality. MFP helped a lot, especially reading the Success Stories and Motivation threads. Good luck to you!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I use to eat something with a lot of calories and just give up, now I log my calories, know I cant be perfect, get back on track. I know easier said than done. But it works, bettter than being heavy, have to work at it, yes, have to be willing to do the work and the results pay off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    I need to get in a better mind set. For some reason I get it in my head that if I eat one bad thing that the day is for nothing and just go ahead and eat what ever I want instead of just eating the one bad thing and continue with my healthier plan for the day. I feel like my will power really needs help. I really do feel like a drug addict that can't even think about food without wanting to go binge eat everything in sight. If any one has any pointers for me on how I can work with the way I think about food that would be great and appreciated.

Just wanted to make sure you're not trying to lose weight too fast, as undereating can definitely lead to binging.

How much weight do you want to lose total and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I also have self-control issues when I am sleep deprived, don't eat enough protein, or don't exercise regularly so I work very hard to make sure I have those three things covered.

Mild to moderate exercise is a mild appetite suppressant for me, and releases the "happy hormones" I used to seek from food. I used to self-medicate with food, but now manage stress with regular exercise, and increased stress with increased exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    MFP says 1200 which is tuff for me so I go over 1200-1400 but mainly average is 1300
    Think I told it a pound hard to remember not sure where to look.

1200 can be tough (and counterproductive) for any woman who is not very very short and also sedentary.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    So true had to change my settings was so tough that’s exactly my yo-yo on that chart! Increased it now says 1400 for a few days now but slip up like forgetting to add stuff yesterday didn’t help that one item I forgot messed up the whole count.
  • Clarisse_McClellan
    Clarisse_McClellan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I would also offer a 2 cents piece of advice I wish I had heard when I start. Think about ideal weight vs goal weight. Find a place where you can maintain. It might not be the lowest weight you want, but one that let's you feel good and perform.

^ This. I thought my perfect weight would be 125#, because I loved how I looked in pictures when I weighed 125#, but then I thought about things. I had ZERO muscle then. I didn't really like how I looked back then. My tummy was smaller, but it was still flabby and I still sucked it in for pictures. So, I don't really know if I want to be 125#. I just want to be in a place where I don't feel like I've got to suck in my stomach for pictures. That's my goal, now.
    nooboots wrote: »
    Just to clarify we do not drink our tea with cream. That would be an abomination. And NEVER offer warm milk with a cuppa. Its cold milk.

I'm American, but I like the way you think.

Donald - I find what works best for me when I want to munch (eat when I'm not really hungry) is distract myself. With housework, a video game, conversation, exercise, a good book, whatever activity you find to be very engaging.
  • BananaFanaFoFannah
    BananaFanaFoFannah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    RunJosh86 wrote: »
    I have struggled with this for the past couple of years myself. I find that it is at its worst when I am 1.) not eating enough during the day, and 2.) I am bored. I am learning to discipline myself to eat more during the day and to find something else to do when I have the urge to eat just because I am bored.

2 is definitely me. I’ve been told that I have a problem with stress eating or “eating my feelings,” but I think it’s less that and more to do with me just sitting around and snacking because I’m bored. I’ve been trying to find different things to do to occupy my time, because when I’m doing something, I’m not usually thinking about eating!
  • OooohToast
    Options
    I’m going to start Tea anonymous group- we all got tea addictions lol I’ll allow coffee drinkers it’s the wine of the bunch.

Sign me up !
  • OooohToast
    Options
    jean133mjg wrote: »
    I find that if I do something all the time, it then becomes my habit. If I eat say M&Ms all the time, I crave M&Ms. If I stay away from sugar, cookies, breads, etc., I lose the craving. I've been learning that if I want something to be a habit for me, then I repeat that behavior enough and it will become my new norm. If I eat something repeatedly, then I want to continue to do so, so even though it may be hard, really hard, sometimes, I try to remind myself that I'm making a new and better habit for myself. When I still cave, I remind myself that it was just a slip, don't punish myself, and move on. I hope to have a lot of next meals, snacks, days, etc. to have more and more successes to follow. A slip up here and there in the long scheme of things, is not going to kill me. Giving up may. All the best to you.

This - with bells on.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    I just poured water in my 2oz of tea ☕️ cup after it was gone in case I missed a drop. Hello I’m a tea addict 👋.
    It’s my first day dry broke down had to grab 2-4oz each try lol
    Found myself adding water to make more lol
    Then adding water to a empty cup for a missing drop
    Thinking of becoming homeless hold up a sign will work for tea ☕️ lol 😂
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You're trying to tackle a dual issue; mindset and physical wellness. These certainly aren't oppositional - I'd suggest you use them to your advantage.
    You sound like once you have something highly-caloric you give in to the idea your day is dietarily ruined. That's a difficult feeling to break, but I'd suggest using it to your advantage rather than trying to totally break it.
    Actively start your day with something you consider healthy; for me it's an oats protein shake.
    The general idea is if you think one "bad meal" will ruin your day, you need to start your day right. You'll feel mentally healthier, and it will be easier to combat the "bad meal" feelings.
  • NovemberSkye
    NovemberSkye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I need to get in a better mind set. For some reason I get it in my head that if I eat one bad thing that the day is for nothing and just go ahead and eat what ever I want instead of just eating the one bad thing and continue with my healthier plan for the day. I feel like my will power really needs help. I really do feel like a drug addict that can't even think about food without wanting to go binge eat everything in sight. If any one has any pointers for me on how I can work with the way I think about food that would be great and appreciated.

The better mindset is that there is no bad food. When you need to eat a treat just eat it and try to stick within your calorie deficit because losing weight will make you healthier all by itself.

I agree with this 100%. Take those foods you like and work them into your calorie allotment for the day. And if you're just starting/restarting, don't start with a large deficit. Keep it small (500 or less per day including exercise cals) and make the healthy habits first before you really delve into a serious weight loss plan.

Also, I would advise against trying to compensate the next day or a later meal. Stick with the plan. Eat normally. Don't try to restrict and move on. But most of all give yourself permission to deviate from the plan if needed.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to do exactly the same thing. I've found logging has been hugely helpful. In actuality most of the time the day is not lost. When I was actively losing I would adjust something planned for later in the day or exercise a bit more or I might have just eaten at maintenance that day. Eventually I lost to my goal weight and I am now maintaining. I still have the odd off day where I eat over maintenance and I just cut back a bit the rest of the week. Try to get away from the all or nothing thinking and actually log what you ate and you may be very surprised to see that it wasn't as bad as you thought. I also agree that telling yourself that certain foods are completely forbidden is a sure way to fall into this trap. There are foods I no longer choose to eat simply because they are too expensive calorically but I know I can have it if I really want it.
  • donaldstokley
    donaldstokley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Still having the issues. I had a really bad week last week but started drinking a gallon of water a day. I still ate incredibly bad but was still able to pull off a 2 pound loss. This week is a new week and ready to do better. Thanks to everyone who has posted I really appreciate it.