Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Those of us who practice IF and don’t have eating disorders such as binging never gain weight practicing IF and know at a personal level the benefits received that others can do nothing other than scratch their head in doubt because they haven’t experienced the same.

I’ve never gained weight practicing IF (disregarding normal fluctuations day.)

Yeah, but from what I've seen, you use that as an analytic truth - that people who fail to maintain or lose are people who have a binging or gluttonous disorder in your mind. If so, all you're saying is people who don't gain on IF don't gain on IF which is uniformative.

No true Scotsman!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I won't get involved in the argument, here. I will only say that it helps me eat less, which helps me lose weight. I don't believe there are any benefits beyond that. It's just easier for me to not overeat when I eat my day's food in a 6-7 hour window. I don't even do "true" IF, because I have coffee with creamer every morning. Because if I didn't, I couldn't make it to my 4:00 pm protein bar with no food. I eat a normal dinner around 6:00 most nights and follow it up with a lower-calorie dessert, and I'm losing weight.

I tried 5:2, but that just wasn't do-able for me. I get too hangry. So, I tried IF, which worked for me in the past. I probably should have stuck with it even after reaching my goal, but I'm an idiot, so rinse and repeat. And the weight loss is a steady 1 pound a week, which is what I shoot for, so I'm happy with it.

This is all sensible.

I have a friend who loves 5:2 (originally to lose vanity weight and now to maintain without counting or worrying about cals on other days). I'd hate it, but it works for her. The only argument is with those insisting IF is superior for all or that those whom whom it is not magic must have eating disorders.
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with the second option and truly fitting CICO (calories in vs. calories out) to overall weight loss.