What happens when you eat 10,000 Calories in 1 meal?

Options
If 1lb of fat is 3,500 Calories does one gain 2-3lbs after a 10,000 Calorie meal? Do you gain it over night or after some days?

I know glycogen is stored in the liver until glucose/atp levels are too high in our blood, but is there a limit to how many glucose/ATP molecules can be produced in _ time? Is there a rate or limit by which the body can convert glycogen to fatty acids stored as fat?

Or does the body not absorb it all?

I guess I'm asking.. will the body process every "calorie" in excess and store it as fat or is there a limit?

Replies

• oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am curious about that, too! I was actually thinking about this the other day. It seems like there must be a limit to how many calories a body can process in a given time period.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Interesting. so in theory while not mentally sound, i am better to full on binge on all my foods in one meal overloading my system to not hold all the calories. VS spread out that food over three days where i may hold more of it.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    2k0qfg1r0d4p.png
    Would occasionally hit around 5-6,000 kcal mark eating an entire jar of coconut manna + whole eggs + full fat cheese +/- full fat cottage cheese (can be a reasonable volume to stomach with high fat content foods). More often than not, I would weigh roughly the same the following days but end up compensating by eating less (simply not having a normal amount of hunger than what I usually would have on a typical day) - would balance out to maintenance over enough time until regaining a normal appetite. It's very hard to trick one's own physiology (systems of autoregulation @ play with ghrelin & leptin)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Very interesting topic OP.
    Makes me wonder about how many calories the people on “My 600 Pound Life” consumed daily to get to 600 pounds. I would think it would have to be almost non stop eating all day when they are awake.
    10,000 calories is an awful lot of food.
    Not positive, but guessing I’ve never eaten that much in one day. So, I guess it’s consistently, overeating, not a one day binge, where the pounds add on.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I just watched a documentary last night about a 'super obese' man. He weighed 960 lbs and they estimated he was eating 10,000 calories per day. He had gained 140 lbs/year for the previous 3 years. That's less than half a pound a day--so he was not packing every calorie he ate.

But just to maintain his weight he would have to eat over 10,000 cal a day so chances are he was eating closer to 15,000 cal if he was gaining
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,067 Member
    Options
    Very interesting topic OP.
    Makes me wonder about how many calories the people on “My 600 Pound Life” consumed daily to get to 600 pounds. I would think it would have to be almost non stop eating all day when they are awake.
    10,000 calories is an awful lot of food.
    Not positive, but guessing I’ve never eaten that much in one day. So, I guess it’s consistently, overeating, not a one day binge, where the pounds add on.

Some weight will add from the one day binge (though perhaps not as much as simple arithmetic would suggest). If no compensating calorie reduction, more weight will add from the next binge. And so on, until one is fat again.

Either strategy works, for gaining.