Gaining weight despite being on point

Options
To keep this short as possible I've lost a lot of weight which took me about a year to lose 124lb. I started at 270 and lowest I got to was 146lb as a 5"6 male.

But of course at the time i was simple minded and decided i wanted to lose weight as fast as possible, so i decided to sign up on myfitnesspal and only ate 800 calories half way thru the first month but didn't like how i felt so i bumped it up to 1600 towards the end of the first month and from there i decided to eat 1400 cals during the remaining of my weight loss journey, which ontop of that i would also hit the gym 3x a week and do 1 hour long cardio and never ate back my exercise calories back to make it worse so my deficit was even a bigger gap.

Now current time while i never experienced hair loss or nail health issues, i did and still experiening other symptoms like lack of energy, lethargic during my workouts, always hungry all the time, never feeling full (satiated) unless i eat tons of food and lack of libido.

About 5 months ago been trying my best to maintain my weight being on point with everything to of it being an obsession like even weighting pre portion foods (preslice bread, single serve yogurt cups, ect. I weight all my solids in grams on my scale, liquids in measuring cups and only use entries i create from labels of the foods i buy and always keep them updated.

Now while trying to maintain i have gained 30lbs despite all of that me being on point, i have tried eating back all my calories back now from exercises started with 100% all the way down to 25% but still gaining weight, also this is being tracked with my fitbit which has a HRM which brings me to did i destroyed my metabolic rate?

I did came across to layne norton whos a phd expert on this while metabolic damage is a myth he does talks about metabolic adaptation which is real which now has me to conclude is this whats going on with me and mentions it can take many months or even a year to fix.

Any insight would be appreciated and I apologize for my wall of text if any of it was hard to understand and thank you if you did take the time to read and help me.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What has been your calorie target for the five months you've been trying to maintain your weight?
  • Noxxys
    Noxxys Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    2000 on non work out days and 2500 on workout days.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Noxxys wrote: »
    2000 on non work out days and 2500 on workout days.

How many days are workout days?
  • Noxxys
    Options
    3 days a week
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Has your workout routine been the same this entire time? Did you start a new or more intense routine?

Did the 30 pound gain happen over the 5 month period, or was it a shorter or longer time than that?

Have you experienced any medical issues, changes in medication, etc. that might affect water weight fluctuation?
  • Noxxys
    Options
    No changes to workouts and yes 30lb gain during those 5 months and no changes to meds.
    no medical issues cept for the list of ones I already listed.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    15,500 calories per week, gives you an average of 2214 calories per day.

You're 5'6, 176 currently? How old are you?
  • Noxxys
    Options
    I wasn't able to maintain it despite trying my best to be accurate with everything and I used a few popular websites to calculate my maintenance and then from there I rounded it out from the data I gather which came to be 2000
  • Noxxys
    Options
    Yea I was on point with all foods putting in my mouth to it even where it got bad where I was even logging coke zero as 5 calories everytime I drank one which I got that info from after I found out in Europe nutrition label has their coke zero for 330ml has 5kcals energy, yup that bad with obsession I will admit.
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend what the other posters said about getting back to a deficit and then reverse dieting from there until you get to a maintenance level of calories that keeps your weight stable. Maybe using a weight trend tracking app, like Happy Scale, to help spot trends as well. All the calculators for TDEE are averages/estimates that work for the majority in the middle of the bell curve, but there are always outliers where they are not completely accurate for. Maybe you're one of those cases.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Well.... in kind of the same boat my man. Lost a lot of weight quickly. You did not destroy your metabolism. I will say something a great person told me recently. Sometimes your leanest weight is not your ideal weight. I am becoming a believer in bf settling range vs set point. There is a weight that your body will settle at over time with diet, activity, lifestyle all line up. I would go into greater detail, but it would take too long. I am currently doing an experiment on myself to see if it is true. Feel free to friend me and reach out. I would only leave you with one piece of advice. Reverse dieting will probably do nothing for you. Do the research.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    It's possible that your Fitbit is overstating your calorie burn, which happens sometimes. Even an HRM can get it wrong in some situations.

My fitbit was CONSTANTLY overstating my calorie burn. I got tired of dealing and just unsynced it. Now I just manually add workout calories back in based on the low MFP calories.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Noxxys wrote: »
    No bad entries, I don't use the public database and only use mines of the ones I create with the label of foods I buy and use usda entries only for fruits and veggies which I learned from the popular post on here someone made of how to use it and such. i would make my diary public but it's on a other account that i recently deleted out of frusteration, but believe me when i say this there was no error in my food logging as i took the knowlege i learned from myfitnesspal guidelines.

Btw.. there is a 5--15% error weighing and measuring...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Well.... in kind of the same boat my man. Lost a lot of weight quickly. You did not destroy your metabolism. I will say something a great person told me recently. Sometimes your leanest weight is not your ideal weight. I am becoming a believer in bf settling range vs set point. There is a weight that your body will settle at over time with diet, activity, lifestyle all line up. I would go into greater detail, but it would take too long. I am currently doing an experiment on myself to see if it is true. Feel free to friend me and reach out. I would only leave you with one piece of advice. Reverse dieting will probably do nothing for you. Do the research.

Reverse dieting helps some people. Doesn't help everyone. Worth a try, maybe. Little downside.
  • Noxxys
    Options
    Yeah I already know my metabolic is not destroyed as that doesn't exist but no question about it that my metabolic is now adapted to the 1400 range which I'm not happy about at all for my stats and how active I am and on top of that of all the hormones issues I'm dealing with I listed. I've done my research and still am and at this point everything Layne Norton covers about this subject is what I'm going thru.