Male Calories Capped at 1,500?

So I've progressively lost weight, and my calorie 'allowance' hasn't changed from 1,500 for a while; I checked another calculator and it said it should be 1,350 for me - is there a cap on male allowance?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    yep as mentioned above.

because eating less could lead to not getting enough nutrition/nutrients for the average short male/female
  • maliciouspenguin
    maliciouspenguin Posts: 36 Member
    I set it at sedentary, with me eating back approximately half the calories gained from steps. My daily expenditure is around 2200-2300, I'm 6'3, 207lbs and only walk for exercise.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,347 Member
    I set it at sedentary, with me eating back approximately half the calories gained from steps. My daily expenditure is around 2200-2300, I'm 6'3, 207lbs and only walk for exercise.

How much walking do you do? Are you house bound most of the day? What are your average steps a day?

Your total daily energy expenditure at less than 2300 sounds very low for your height and weight.
  • maliciouspenguin
    maliciouspenguin Posts: 36 Member
    Around 2-3 miles per day at a minimum, usually 4-5. It's based on my smart watch
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    So what are your goals? I am smaller than you and i more aggressively cut around 1800 calories. I have a desk job, lift 4 days a week and play tennis 1 or 2 if i am lucky.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    So I've progressively lost weight, and my calorie 'allowance' hasn't changed from 1,500 for a while; I checked another calculator and it said it should be 1,350 for me - is there a cap on male allowance?

I personally think that you shouldn't go any lower than 1500, and you should increase your cardio. Are you doing any resistance training? I've lost a significant amount of weight several times, and when I used to eat to little, I basically lost all my muscle mass and ended up "skinny fat" with no definition.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited June 2019
    At your weight, you probably aren’t trying to lose much more weight. MFP suggests you slow down your weight loss as you get closer to goal. This can help you start learning maintenance while still losing. Are you updating your weight and goal weight on MFP? My guess is no, and that if you do, without telling it that you want to lose 2 lbs/week just to see what happens, your daily calorie goal may actually go up.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,948 Member

So, how much weight have you lost over what period of time eating only 1500, which seems crazy low for a 6'3" man?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    Maxematics wrote: »

So, how much weight have you lost over what period of time eating only 1500, which seems crazy low for a 6'3" man?

Agreed; something doesn't add up. I'm a woman, a foot shorter, almost 100 pounds lighter and I'd gnaw my arm off if I ate 1500 calories per day.

He also eats back half his exercise calories, so it's more than 1500