Options
124»

Replies

• Ellen123xyz
    Ellen123xyz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Giggling at the woo pusher

Could you explain to a newbie - what does woo mean? Thx!
  • JustaGirlNamedJenn
    JustaGirlNamedJenn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think of it kind of as a sarcastic woo, pretty much disagreeing with something.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Today was hectic. I didn't have time for breakfast, so I skipped it. I didn't have time for lunch so I bought a protein bar to eat on the go. I made sure the protein bar had more than 20 grams of carbs because it wouldn't hold me over otherwise. It was good, by the way, and I'm very picky. Reminded me of a snack bar I used to eat at school called Lion Bar. Low carb protein bars are more like glorified candy because they don't do anything for me (other than giving me protein).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    SueA1957 wrote: »
    I think it’s a mark of disapproval or negative response to a point of view??

No, it's more specific than that:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43568226/#Comment_43568226

Woo: Woo is a term for pseudoscientific explanations that share certain common characteristics, often being too good to be true (aside from being unscientific). Woo is understood specifically as dressing itself in the trappings of science (but not the substance) while involving unscientific concepts, such as anecdotal evidence and sciencey-sounding words.

What is woo: Any claim that is too good to be true, such as ingesting a certain substance will cause weight loss independent of diet and exercise. This is for outlandish claims - keyword being "claims."

What is not woo:
    • A user asking a question about a topic they heard about (ex. I heard fenugreek causes weight loss, is that true?). Even if what they are asking about is not true, they are asking to learn more, not telling people to take it.
    • Someone mentioning a way of eating, especially an established way of eating, someone else does not prefer.
    • Someone discussing a way of eating or tool to assist in weight loss in normal conversation without going into very specific detail about calorie deficits.
    • Someone recommending a group on MFP for more information.
    • Someone you don't like making a post.
    • Someone (who you may not like) posting in a group that you have no interest in or are not a member.
    • Someone posting a suggestion that is incorrect or misleading, when that suggestion is commonly appearing in the media. For example, someone may state that sugar causes weight loss and recommend cutting back on sugar. Is that statement correct? No. Is it woo? Not really, because there are tons of articles out there in the mainstream media suggesting it, and it appears as teasers for news programs. There's a difference between not understanding a concept, or being misled in the diet and fitness field (which known for misleading people), and woo. That's someone who would probably benefit from having someone explain politely and respectfully, and provide more information, not just hitting the woo button.
    • Someone mentioning one word someone else doesn't like or phrase in an otherwise helpful and correct post. No one knows which part is being woo'ed.
  • MamaKL5
    MamaKL5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. Definitely no low carb here.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    sizco30 wrote: »
    Anyone here actually just doing calorie def? and isn't do any kind of low carb diet seems like most are only doing the low carb or is it just that popular? i've been really tracking my cals the past week with good results so far

So think about this:

1 gram of fat equals 9 calories, and 1 gram of carbs equals 4 calories, and 1 gram of protein equals 4 calories, and you only need a minimum of fat and protein for the body to function, once that is met you can make your diet whatever you want and succeed.

Just like fat and carbs on the table; Oil doesn't mix with water so your body won't hold as much, Carbs absorb water - for every one gram of carbohydrate stored in the body (as glycogen) there are approximately 2-3 grams of water retained) - so that is why people weigh a little less on keto diets.

Protein needs to be the same according to your body weight no matter what the diet style (.8 to 1.2 grams of protein per goal weight).

So, as far as the fat loss over time, as long as your CALORIES are under TDEE, no matter what your diet style. Keto will be higher in fat and less in carbs. A traditional balanced diet will be lower in fat with higher carbs than Keto. What matters is calories. Always and forever.

So, go forth and do whatever scheme you want as long as the math adds up you will succeed and if you feel ill effects or binge or gain or lose weight, your body always gives you the truth you need.

• nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I seem to be averaging around 120ish to 130ish grams of carbs per day, Im not sure what that is, low or moderate or normal carb? I do restrict them as I find they make me feel hungry, even things like porridge, never fills me up, has me starving a few hours after. They tend to make me binge on all foods. But ultimately I am only watching my calories. Yesterday I think I had 288g of carbs!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    I seem to be averaging around 120ish to 130ish grams of carbs per day, Im not sure what that is, low or moderate or normal carb? I do restrict them as I find they make me feel hungry, even things like porridge, never fills me up, has me starving a few hours after. They tend to make me binge on all foods. But ultimately I am only watching my calories. Yesterday I think I had 288g of carbs!

I consider that moderate since I eat around the same just so I am not confused with keto/atkins low carbers. I think it is technically low carb because it is under 150.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    People use "low carb" in all kinds of confusing and inconsistent ways. I don't consider 150 g low carb, as it's 50% of a 1200 cal diet and 40% of a 1500 diet. I tend to naturally eat around 150 g or below (total) when cutting (at around 1500-1600 cal), and yet I wouldn't consider that low carbing, as I eat what I want without regard to carb numbers. (I'd perhaps call 40% carbs "moderate.") I noticed that a poster above called 150 g net low carb or somewhat low carb, so people definitely have different ideas.

What's apparently very popular/common/discussed these days tends to be super low carb/keto.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    And is there a rogue Keto-er who just woos anyone that doesn't do low carb? Lol

Based on my experience of every post I make that is pro-carb (I'm talking dozens of posts across dozen of threads), getting usually a single woo, I think you are on to something.

I thought I would double up on you :wink:

This will be lovely for a few extra woos: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26278052

To summarize: low-carbohydrate diet promoted greater fat oxidation than an isocaloric low-fat diet but, caused less total body fat loss. <But of course the total duration was short. So we still don't have a final answer. In the end you know what? Six days or six months only matter at the margin. What *YOU* (CAN and DO) DO over six YEARS is what will REALLY matter.>