Fitness/smart watch

Options
I need your opinion , I want to buy a smart watch or a fitness watch to pair it with my phone and my fitness pal app to track my activity and my calorie burn during the day , which smart/fitness watch would you recommend ?? , knowing that I am using samsung note 9 phone.

Thanks.

Replies

• Jedikenji85
    Jedikenji85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like Fitbit the best , I’ve tried Samsung gear and Apple Watch and both can’t compete with Fitbit for step and heart rate accuracy.
  • Ameeeeeera
    Ameeeeeera Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great , thanks for answering , which version of fitbit is best ??
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Any Garmin. I use a Fenix. Love it.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivosmart, I love it.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit Ionic. I really like the FitBit platform as well. I would miss it if I ever switched to a different "step counter".
  • thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Inspire HR and I really like it. It didn't break the bank as far as fitbits go (I think it was about £70), and it does all I want it to do - tracks steps, heartrate, communicates with MFP for calories in/out, tracks my water intake, and my exercise.

Additionally, it's waterproof, which was a big selling point to me as swimming is one of my main exercises.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 35 and give it two thumbs up.
  • ValR93
    ValR93 Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I just got an Alta HR Fitbit yesterday and find that it's telling me that I'm burning, for instance right now it says 801 calories for the day so far! I wouldn't imagine I'd want to put a number like that in my exercise calories for the day, though? What numbers do you go by to add exercise calories to your day (I don't hardly ever eat them, but I track them). Thanks!! One thought I had is to see where the calories are before I start actual exercise and then use the difference?
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ValR93 wrote: »
    I just got an Alta HR Fitbit yesterday and find that it's telling me that I'm burning, for instance right now it says 801 calories for the day so far! I wouldn't imagine I'd want to put a number like that in my exercise calories for the day, though? What numbers do you go by to add exercise calories to your day (I don't hardly ever eat them, but I track them). Thanks!! One thought I had is to see where the calories are before I start actual exercise and then use the difference?

I use fitbit inspire hr. Take your estimated calories burned from fitbit, and minus the calories consumed that you track on MFP. The difference is your burn.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,607 Member
    Options

The calories you see on Fitbit (at midnight) are your calories for your TDEE.

Your total daily energy expenditure, not your exercises by themselves.

As such you don't manually add them to MFP, you let the automated integration take care of things.

If the device are not connected and you're interested in manually performing the tasks automatically performed by integration, look at your total expenditure on MFP at midnight and on Fitbit at midnight and calculate the difference.

Then create a 1 minute exercise on MFP running from 23:58 to 23:59 and make it equal to the caloric difference you calculated.

My personal opinion is that integration does a good enough job (when things work) and that manual mucking around tends to lead to comparatively greater inaccuracies.
  • ValR93
    ValR93 Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Thanks a bunch for your replies! I think I did find where to connect my device to MFP; hopefully I'll start seeing that work.
  • lexusjade
    lexusjade Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was an avid FitBit user for years, but consistently FitBit's (even my newer Versa) start having problems right outside of the warranty period and conks out within a month or two outside the warranty period. Check the FitBit pages for people having the same issue. I decided to switch to Garmin and ordered one last night. Such a shame because the FitBit integration with so many apps is amazing but I can't treat a $200 watch as a consumable every year.
  • ChackoSupreme
    ChackoSupreme Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    It depends.

If you like Apple products - the Apple watch is actually a very good (albeit over priced) option.

I have both a Polar Vantage M and a Fitbit Blaze, they're both relatively cheap but the Blaze (and its just this model) has given me nothing but problems with inaccurate heart rate readings, and the first two I had failed to charge.

• Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit Alta HR is a great starter watch. I say this because I have Friends who have purchased expensive watches and end up just throwing them in a drawer.

I bought a Fitbit Alta that I wore for two (2) years. After that; I decided to buy the Apple Watch which I love.

Fitbit works well with all smartphones. I heard that the Apple Watch requires an IPhone; I have an IPhone.

• robley_1
    robley_1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trying to decide on a new smart spots watch. Currently using Garmin Vivoactive HR, I bought the vivoactive 3 but for some reason I am not sold on it :( thinking I should try Garmin Forerunner 735XT, Any suggestions?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Those calories are the calories you've burned thus far for the day...not exercise. You burn calories 24/7...you burn a lot of calories merely existing on this planet and nothing else.

If your Fitbit is linked with MFP, it will give MFP adjustments to reconcile whatever activity level you selected on MFP to your actual per Fitbit. Manually doing things mucks up the water...let the technology do it's thing...that's what you paid for.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    lexusjade wrote: »
    I was an avid FitBit user for years, but consistently FitBit's (even my newer Versa) start having problems right outside of the warranty period and conks out within a month or two outside the warranty period. Check the FitBit pages for people having the same issue. I decided to switch to Garmin and ordered one last night. Such a shame because the FitBit integration with so many apps is amazing but I can't treat a $200 watch as a consumable every year.

I used a Garmin Edge 800 for almost 10 years. Only reason I'm not still using it is the bike got stolen, with the Garmin on it.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I can't say enough good things about the "Amazfit Stratos". It's essentially a Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music but for far less $$$.

Fantastic piece of kit.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I just got a FitBit Alta HR. I only would change the water resistance, it isn't really at all. Otherwise I am quite happy with it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love my garmin vivoactive.