Confused about BMR - Mine is huge

Options
My BMR is 3000 calories a day. For the past six months, I have worked with a trainer doing strength training and cardio, for an hour ever other morning. I subscribed to a food delivery service and was averaging 1500-2000 calories a day. I am off the food service but have been tracking on the app and am still averaging around 2000 a day. Don't think I could eat any more to get it up to 3000. I eat healthy and don't eat junk food. I am 186 cm (6'2") and weight 172 kg (380 lbs). I feel healthy and have great muscle tone. Fat lost over the past six months? Zero. My weight has barely moved and my clothes are a bit more baggier but not dramatic.

Seriously, this is a pain. My next plan is to increase the cardio by joining a Muay Thai gym when I move to China this fall. Should I eat more food, which seems counter-intuitive or increase the exercise? Nobody believes the fat guy when they say they don't eat much food but (hopefully) the app doesn't lie.

Suggestions?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    What does BARELY moved over six months mean?

When I started losing weight (over-stuffing my too small clothes) to when I bought my first set of used clothes (which was way overdue due to being able to cinch belts and my willingness to wear baggy) was a good 40lb swing. Which in your case could be along the lines of losing 1.5lbs a week. Which would be far from barely, even if it wasn't quite 2lbs a week.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I will echo what others have said: it sounds like you are losing weight, but not at the pace you expect.

Your clothes are looser, which indicates that you're losing fat and/or water. I don't know how you're measuring whether or not you've lost fat, but if you're using one of those home body fat scales, they're not very accurate. There is also a difference between the scale "barely" moving vs. not moving at all, and the way an individual defines "barely" moving depends on their expectations.

You may also be losing more slowly than expected due to logging errors. Whether you eat "healthy" or "junk food" doesn't have anything to do with weight loss; all that matters is taking in fewer calories than your body burns. One can also think they "don't eat much food" yet still be taking in more calories than they realize. If you're not weighing your food, then you don't know how many calories you're taking in. Get a food scale if you don't already have one, and use it for all solid food if you don't already do so.

Keep in mind that if you increase your exercise, you will likely see the scale go up for a while due to temporary water weight gain that is a normal part of the muscle repair process.
  • slinda9256
    slinda9256 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was 174 kg in January and my last weighing had a mass of 172 kg. I used a food delivery system from January to May, three meals a day at 3-500 calories per meal. I weigh everything and rarely get over 2000 calories on this app. Rarely if ever go to a restaurant. For exercise, we are doing multiple sets of 16 reps, most of the time to near exhaustion (using heavy weights). I go at 6am every other day. Have started to incorporate cardio as well as weights as well. Do I see a difference? Sure. I stand taller and I can see a change of shape. The gut is flatter as well and I don’t get swollen ankles anymore. I feel great but just can’t burn off any fat. I know that nobody ever believes the fat guy when he says he does not eat that much but it is true. I have never had a huge appetite. The last time I tried to have a complete hamburger, I felt bloated for hours. I don’t drink soft drinks and don’t snack on junk food.
    I think a problem is that I don’t move enough. About five years ago, I was on a running program and dropped quite a bit until I strained a tendon. I am going to increase the physical activity next month and work on the diet. I have a different situation than most since i live overseas and will be moving to Mainland China this fall. I’m living on my sister’s couch until August so I will work on food more after I move to my new country.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    Try walking and pool activities, they're easier on the joints.

A visibly flatter gut does not tend to come about with just a 2 kg change in fat level.

Your initial weight is near the limit of many scales. What is the weight limit on the scale you're using? Is there any chance you started higher than you think you did?

You do sound as if you're in decent shape though. Are you also very tall?
  • slinda9256
    slinda9256 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am not frustrated and plan to continue when I settle down this fall. I am just curious why my mass is not decreasing. It is lunch time right now and I have logged everything. Currently I am at 821 calories with 2295 remaining. There is no way in hell I will eat 2295 calories for dinner (it's lunch time here). At most I will have 500-700 at dinner. I didn't go to the gym today, which the app usually records as around 600 calories burned. I am completely full right now and will not eat again until this evening. This is my usual routine.

The reason I was asking about the BMR values is that I am so under this number, should I be trying to get closer to it? Again, nobody ever believes the fat guy about food. I plan to talk to nutritionist when I get back to Canada for the summer.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I've been watching Secret Eaters on YouTube. In every episode, people are eating double what they think they are. Underestimating food eaten and overestimating calorie burn really is a common problem that many people have.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    So at no point were you weighing yourself regularly?

Moving more will help your general state of fitness but calorie consumption is the easiest path to losing weight if you do not have a large appetite.

It really comes down to this you either started higher than you think and you did lose more weight during that time or the meal service was much higher calories than you realized.

It is impossible to not burn fat in a body energy shortage when you carry a large supply.

At your weight I wasn't moving nearly as much as you and I lost weight in a way my doctor characterized as "pounds just fall off you." Of course he sees me every 4 months and it doesn't seem as fast week to week.

How long have you been eating your own food and logging? Have you weighed since then?

I suggest weighing at least once a month for awhile. You need more data points.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You've been working with a trainer, but have you seen a doctor? If you truly are tracking as carefully as you say you are, then there is a chance that you could have an undiagnosed hormonal imbalance that is affecting your metabolism and weight loss.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You've been working with a trainer, but have you seen a doctor? If you truly are tracking as carefully as you say you are, then there is a chance that you could have an undiagnosed hormonal imbalance that is affecting your metabolism and weight loss.

A medical condition could account for less than expected weight loss but not a result of 2kg in 6 months. That small of a change could be a difference in scale calibrations clothing worn, a normal body weight fluctuation, etc.