Women Who Lift

Replies

• kryssie7038
    kryssie7038 Posts: 2 Member
    I’d love those friendships too!
  • tthickens637
    tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
    @aubreyjordan and @kryssie7038 I'm a newbie lifter but would love to connect. I am just starting TLS so would benefit from sharing experiences. 🤗
  • KelDawLan
    KelDawLan Posts: 7 Member
    First weeks progress due soon...I’ve worked hard on diet and training so looking forward to seeing where I am tomorrow.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I have been strength training consistently for about 6 weeks now. Took me a while to get into a routine and am doing the following 3 times a week: 3 x 10 barbell curls, military press, bench press, lat pull downs, tricep pull downs and 3 x 5 deadlifts. I started out with the same weight for 2 weeks to get form down and get used to it and now gradually adding when I can do all the reps at the weight.
    Anything I should add for general strength workout? I know everyone says to follow a prescribed program but I cant find one that doesn't focus heavily on squats but my knee problems preclude that. I do very light weight "chair squats" but will never be able to squat heavy weight.
    I also workout at home alone so my bench press right now is moderate weight (less than the others) because I am a little wary of hurting myself. 😁 I have basic weights and benches and a basic "home gym" system for the pull downs.

Anything major I am missing here?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I have been strength training consistently for about 6 weeks now. Took me a while to get into a routine and am doing the following 3 times a week: 3 x 10 barbell curls, military press, bench press, lat pull downs, tricep pull downs and 3 x 5 deadlifts. I started out with the same weight for 2 weeks to get form down and get used to it and now gradually adding when I can do all the reps at the weight.
    Anything I should add for general strength workout? I know everyone says to follow a prescribed program but I cant find one that doesn't focus heavily on squats but my knee problems preclude that. I do very light weight "chair squats" but will never be able to squat heavy weight.
    I also workout at home alone so my bench press right now is moderate weight (less than the others) because I am a little wary of hurting myself. 😁 I have basic weights and benches and a basic "home gym" system for the pull downs.

You are only doing one lower body exercise. Can you do lunges, step ups, split squats, goblet squats, or kettle bell swings?
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »

You are only doing one lower body exercise. Can you do lunges, step ups, split squats, goblet squats, or kettle bell swings?

Yes I think I can probably do kettle bell swings and/or step ups. It is important my knee stay perfectly aligned when doing anything - so I will try adding those and review with my physiotherapist at my next appointment.
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    Raabooka wrote: »
    5 weeks into the Strong Lifts 5x5 program! I’ve lost 25 lbs during the last 5-ish weeks and still have a long way to go. But I am LOVING lifting.

Awesome!! May I ask what your calorie goals are set at? Maintenance, Lose 1lb a week, what sort of deficit are you at (if any) and are you logging your exercise calories in MFP + eating them back?

I’m currently doing Strong Curves and while I’m noticing good body comp differences + strength increases, I haven’t lost a single lb in 3wks. This is totally ok!! I’m familiar with recomp! I just am so curious what you’re doing to have achieved such awesome loss!
  • shaykinhand
    shaykinhand Posts: 80 Member
    edited June 2019
    Glad to have run across this thread.... Curious to know what you ladies are lifting... amounts/reps etc.

I just started in January and feel I'm seeing a difference finally :)
  • tthickens637
    tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
    I got back into the gym today. I stuck with my deload and tried not to do too much since I had a week off and am leaving for another week. Maybe I'll start to build back up when I get back.
    squats 145 4x7
    bench 95 4x7, 1x5
    Deads 165 4x6
    OHP 65 4x5
    pull ups 4x4
    Split lunge 50 4x6 ea

Wow, that's impressive!!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    That is impressive dancing moosie. I have been doing a bit of weight training over the last year or so, but struggle constantly with chronic knee pain. Have also had an injured rotator cuff, and just now (starting to improve a little) a pulled rectus femoris. I'm just old and feeble I guess! I mostly at the moment want to shift a couple of kilos that have snuck on.
  • movgrl1
    movgrl1 Posts: 23 Member
    Feel free to add me. I lift 4 days a week. Upper body Monday/Thursday and legs/core on Tuesday/Friday. I've only been doing it for a few months, but I love it and would love more friends that lift! :)
  • lizacurran1234
    lizacurran1234 Posts: 1 Member
    I got with a personal trainer and have been lifting for about 3 months ( roughly 2-3 times per week), and I’ve definitely noticed that I’m at least stronger but for the life of me I can’t get my body fat percentage down. I’ve done some research and I fit the Ectomorph body type. I’m getting used to just eating more to get my body the fuel it needs but do y’all have any advice with getting BFP down?? I’m so so frustrated and discouraged