Confused about BMR - Mine is huge

Options
2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you joined here May 6th. Were you tracking somewhere else before that? Or just assuming that the meal delivery company was accurate? I can't recall exactly where, but I did read that some of those services are way off on their calorie counts.

Congratulations on the success you've had so far. Although the scale isn't reflecting it, you obviously have been having some success if your clothing is fitting differently, and you are seeing a visible difference.

Have you been using the same scale for your weight?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • slinda9256
    slinda9256 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have mentioned many times I weigh everything with a food scale. As of today, I am sitting at 932 calories (it is 3:18 pm here). According to my Apple Watch, I burned off 641 calories at the gym this morning. My gym breakfast is 100g of oatmeal in which everything was weighed and measured. Lunch was a recipe I found on this site, so hopefully its numbers are correct as I followed the instructions exactly. Snack was two apples and I am not hungry. According to the app, I still have a deficit of 2799 calories for the rest of the day.

I used a free version of the app but only purchased premium recently, which is why the dates start from last month.

I have a digital body scale connected to my phone for tracking.

I really don't know how much more accurate I can weigh everything since I already check every meal but with the current deficit of 2799 for the rest of the day, I could eat half a cow and still be under the daily remaining. That's my main issue. Even if I am not weighing everything accurately, that deficit is huge. Something doesn't seem right.

I know this is going around in circles so I will end by saying I still intend to continue but will have a tricky time accurately weighing everything for the next few months as I leave Macau forever and live on my sister's sofa until I get to China in August. I am going to continue eating small portions and record what I can and keep on exercising but won't be able to get a good routine going until August. Hopefully then I will start to see some results.

Thanks for all the advise.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I'd still recommend opening your food diary to public because others might be able to spot errors. If you don't know why you are where you are at, you can not fix the problem.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    slinda9256 wrote: »
    I have mentioned many times I weigh everything with a food scale. As of today, I am sitting at 932 calories (it is 3:18 pm here). According to my Apple Watch, I burned off 641 calories at the gym this morning. My gym breakfast is 100g of oatmeal in which everything was weighed and measured. Lunch was a recipe I found on this site, so hopefully its numbers are correct as I followed the instructions exactly. Snack was two apples and I am not hungry. According to the app, I still have a deficit of 2799 calories for the rest of the day.

I used a free version of the app but only purchased premium recently, which is why the dates start from last month.

I have a digital body scale connected to my phone for tracking.

I really don't know how much more accurate I can weigh everything since I already check every meal but with the current deficit of 2799 for the rest of the day, I could eat half a cow and still be under the daily remaining. That's my main issue. Even if I am not weighing everything accurately, that deficit is huge. Something doesn't seem right.

I know this is going around in circles so I will end by saying I still intend to continue but will have a tricky time accurately weighing everything for the next few months as I leave Macau forever and live on my sister's sofa until I get to China in August. I am going to continue eating small portions and record what I can and keep on exercising but won't be able to get a good routine going until August. Hopefully then I will start to see some results.

Thanks for all the advise.

How often did you weigh yourself during the 6 months?

How long have you been off the food service and tracking food on MFP?

• slinda9256
    slinda9256 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning and am down 2kg. I also found my medical report from 2016 from when I moved to Macau (government regulated medical) and I was 185 kg. Considering I am at 170 kg now means the diet and exercise is working, albeit slowly. I will be moving back to Canada for the summer the first week of July, when I plan to turn my account to public. I will use my Mom's kitchen to experiment with recipes using stuff I can easily get in China. I find that most recipes online are hard for me to replicate due to the inability of finding the ingredients. Western food is not exactly plentiful here. In Shanghai in the fall, I have access to western supermarkets and food delivery companies, which will make tracking easier. Right now I am cleaning out the freezer and will probably be living out of restaurants the last week. When I get to Canada in the summer I will ignore my sister's cooking (when I can) and work on my own stuff. Once i get some good recipes down, I will be ready for China.

Again, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I will keep at it. I think one advantage i have is that food has never been a huge attraction to me, even though I am monstrous in size, which is sort of weird. I have never pigged out of junk food or sit with a bucket of Doritos in front of the TV. Usually I feel quite queezy after eating junk. Hopefully with the exercise and taking more control of the diet, things will change.