Food Allergies and diet

Replies

• AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Food allergies are the devil for sure. I'm allergic to seeds and nuts and have organic allergy syndrome to fruits and vegetables making me sick, bloated and red.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    When I suggested bagged salad I was referring to all veggies; skip the toppings.

With all your allergies you just won’t be able to trust prepared foods. Which leaves home cooking or starving.

You can save time by prepping your chicken all at once or just get the pre-roasted chicken.

Alternatives to potatoes, and yes I know they aren’t the same thing, include rice and pasta.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    That’s a lot of allergies. Have you been formerly diagnosed by a medical professional? It’s entirely possible that your allergen list is much shorter. I say this for two reasons-

1. If you were allergic to pork you would not be able to eat bacon either. Bacon is a cut of pork.
    2. I thought I had developed multiple allergies and sensitivities after my son was born. I started developing these awful hives that itches but burned and blistered when scratched. It seemed like I ate something different every day and would still get them. After medical testing I found out it was a wheat germ allergy-one thing that is a common additive in almost all convenience foods

I am not allergic to pork, I don’t like pork chops. I do eat bacon, with no issues.

I have been formally diagnosed by an allergist.

JeBeBu wrote: »
    As someone that also has a whole host of food allergies, I looked to Daily Harvest for some grab & go options. I prepare most of my food at home, but these give me great options for travel work days or visits to the in-laws!

I will check Daily Harvest out. Thank you

• Libby283
    I assume you're not out 12-15 hours EVERY day. Could you make up a big salad that will last for the next few days? Try things like quinoa or couscous, different salad vegetables, beetroot, thinly sliced red cabbage, grated carrot, roasted peppers and antipasti items such as artichoke or grilled courgette in addition to the usual lettuce, cucumber, tomato & radish. You can then take a portion in a salad box and top it with cheese, chicken, crab or prawns/shrimp. I'm intolerant to multiple things and can't have mayo; I quite happily have my salads dry if I've got things like beetroot in it or I add a lemon/oil dressing.

Also consider making a big curry (chicken, beef or prawn), a bolognese, a big macaroni cheese (to which you can add chopped onion, mushroom, tomato, bacon or ham if you can and some herbs) and maybe do a big stirfry. I pad everything out with loads of vegetables. Bag or carton each up into portions for ready-made evening meals that can be frozen. I typically cook enough of each for 4-6 meals and all I need to do when I get home is cook some rice (although I do that in bulk and freeze it in small portions too) or pasta.

Pasta generally has egg. Curry has coconut...

I really dislike salads all the time. I can shovel the lettuce down if mixed with stuff like egg, bacon, chicken salad.. this has really put a huge damper on my eating.

I am very much a burger, fries, any potato type of person. I ate eggs every day until Monday.
  • Libby283
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I suggested bagged salad I was referring to all veggies; skip the toppings.

With all your allergies you just won’t be able to trust prepared foods. Which leaves home cooking or starving.

You can save time by prepping your chicken all at once or just get the pre-roasted chicken.

Alternatives to potatoes, and yes I know they aren’t the same thing, include rice and pasta.

And that is the issue. I just don’t like all veggies... and I am picky on top of the allergies.

Pasta is made with eggs. I feel like I am being forced to become vegan... I live in the middle of farm country. Vegan is not our way of life.
  • Libby283

Since you aren’t allergic to pork, you can try ham as an alternative to chicken. Since you mentioned you are getting bored of chicken.
    I eat ham for Christmas dinner. I am just not a big fan. It’s not a meat I get excited for. Surprisingly, a local Chinese restaurant made my lunch to accommodate my allergies. That worked well. Pizza is being delivered to the pool tonight. I had mango yogurt for breakfast.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    That’s a lot of allergies. Have you been formerly diagnosed by a medical professional? It’s entirely possible that your allergen list is much shorter. I say this for two reasons-

1. If you were allergic to pork you would not be able to eat bacon either. Bacon is a cut of pork.
    2. I thought I had developed multiple allergies and sensitivities after my son was born. I started developing these awful hives that itches but burned and blistered when scratched. It seemed like I ate something different every day and would still get them. After medical testing I found out it was a wheat germ allergy-one thing that is a common additive in almost all convenience foods

I'm mildly allergic to tomatoes, pineapple, walnuts, bananas that aren't green yet, and raw potatoes smell like they would cause the same. Sounds very similar to what TO describes. However, I'm fine if I cook those things (apart from walnuts). Something happens to the structure/allergens that makes them non-allergic to me again.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2019
    Libby283 wrote: »
    I assume you're not out 12-15 hours EVERY day. Could you make up a big salad that will last for the next few days? Try things like quinoa or couscous, different salad vegetables, beetroot, thinly sliced red cabbage, grated carrot, roasted peppers and antipasti items such as artichoke or grilled courgette in addition to the usual lettuce, cucumber, tomato & radish. You can then take a portion in a salad box and top it with cheese, chicken, crab or prawns/shrimp. I'm intolerant to multiple things and can't have mayo; I quite happily have my salads dry if I've got things like beetroot in it or I add a lemon/oil dressing.

Also consider making a big curry (chicken, beef or prawn), a bolognese, a big macaroni cheese (to which you can add chopped onion, mushroom, tomato, bacon or ham if you can and some herbs) and maybe do a big stirfry. I pad everything out with loads of vegetables. Bag or carton each up into portions for ready-made evening meals that can be frozen. I typically cook enough of each for 4-6 meals and all I need to do when I get home is cook some rice (although I do that in bulk and freeze it in small portions too) or pasta.

Pasta generally has egg. Curry has coconut...

I really dislike salads all the time. I can shovel the lettuce down if mixed with stuff like egg, bacon, chicken salad.. this has really put a huge damper on my eating.

I am very much a burger, fries, any potato type of person. I ate eggs every day until Monday.

Pasta does NOT generally have eggs. Other than egg noodles obviously. I suppose the fancy "substitute" pastas may have egg, but semolina pasta is typically not made with eggs.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Thank you for the item on histamine intolerance. One thing which helped me was DAOsin. Your item reminded me the body needs b6 and vit c to make DAO, this, I suppose enzyme, is supposed to help eliminate or reduce the reactions.

There is a site Healing Histamine, hope this helps someone.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Many people in my family have allergies to trees and grasses, but there is a cross reaction that happens during certain seasons where things like squash, bananas, etc. cause tingly tongues, hives, itching, and for some of the family, constantly taking allergy medication is enough to keep these things under control, for the rest of the family, allergy shots are necessary. If you have not seen an allergist about this, please do. These reactions can become life threatening if you don't. The doctor can also give you advise on what you can/cannot eat, what to avoid and when, and what other items could be causing reactions that you don't even know about.
  • Libby283
    Spent 20 minutes in the grocery store today looking for anything baked goods/ sweet without eggs, nuts, palm oil or coconut.

Nothing... any suggestions?
    Many people in my family have allergies to trees and grasses, but there is a cross reaction that happens during certain seasons where things like squash, bananas, etc. cause tingly tongues, hives, itching, and for some of the family, constantly taking allergy medication is enough to keep these things under control, for the rest of the family, allergy shots are necessary. If you have not seen an allergist about this, please do. These reactions can become life threatening if you don't. The doctor can also give you advise on what you can/cannot eat, what to avoid and when, and what other items could be causing reactions that you don't even know about.

Saw the allergist on Monday. He said don’t eat potatoes, strawberries, eggs, nuts including almonds and peanuts, turkey and fish.

I ate lettuce with carrots and chickpeas for lunch. Sucks... now I want dessert and can’t find anything.

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Libby283 wrote: »

And that is the issue. I just don’t like all veggies... and I am picky on top of the allergies.

Pasta is made with eggs. I feel like I am being forced to become vegan... I live in the middle of farm country. Vegan is not our way of life.

Have you tried whole wheat pasta? I have mild allergy to egg and eating lots of enriched pasta would bother me. Eating whole wheat bread and pasta has eliminated that for me.