Is it true??

Options
That when you eat alot of fruit in a day you should basically just ignore what your sugar is on your food diary? I am HUGE on fruit. It is a little frustrating because I am ALWAYS over in my sugar.. I was told my a co worker that this is good sugar and I shouldnt worry about it and just ignore the sugars from fruit. I am trying to figure out how true this is???

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I ignore it. But I don't know if you "should"....
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I've been told that sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from; your body processes it the same way, but I'd like to hear other opinions too =)
  • rcb722
    rcb722 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't count fruits or veggies to be negative at all. I can eat a whole watermelon and still feel like I did great for the day. Better than the artificial sugars or candy loaded with sugar, and they are natural and easier for your body to digest. (I actually think Jillian Michael talked about this on a podcast a couple weeks ago...maybe?)

But, from a weight loss/ scientific background, I have no idea if you should still worry about fruit sugars. :)
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is ideal if you're going to eat sugar, but it's still sugar, your body will process it as such.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    All I track are calories, fat, and protein. So I don't worry about fruits (carbs OR sugar) at all. Fruit is healthy!
  • NWfluffy
    NWfluffy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calories vs. the calories out. Fruit is great for you and as long as you are getting enough protein and other groups within your day, whether your carb calories come from fruit or pasta is up to you.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    I am diabetic. Sugar is sugar. :)
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Fruit is great for you but due to the fructose in it (fruit sugar) it does contain a fair bit of calories. As long as you count in within your calorie goal for the day you should be fine. It is so much better for you than fruit juice - you get the chewing and fiber benefits.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's "good" or "bad" but I typically track it anyway, but I try not to worry too much about it if I'm over and it's from fruits.
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    Natural sugar is waaaaay better then proccessed sugar....and fruit is very good for you I wouldnt woory about it!!!!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are lumped into one category because there is so much sugar. You are supposed to eat more veggies than fruit... but lets be honest, unless you are diabetic... a little extra sugar won't kill you. And a strawberry is definately better for you than a gummy worm.
  • wendyc122005
    Options
    Unused carbs will turn to fat. As with all foods moderation and balance is the best.

9588614.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

Fruit sugars break down into sucrose and glucogen, slowing the process. It spreads it out. Your body doesn’t even use the fructose unless there is an immediate need for energy and then it has to be processed by the liver. The rest is stored as glycogen in the muscles and liver. Sucrose (or refined sugars) break down into glucose which spikes because it starts immediate insulin production. Basically fructose takes a longer route and keeps your body in balance and refined sugar (or sucrose) knocks it out of balance.
  • goatflavor
    Options
    Refined sugars are different from natural sugars...so natural sugars are better in that sense. Eating packaged fruit "in juice" or "syrup" is increasing the sugar intake normally associated with fruit.

However, sugar is sugar. You want to keep your body on an effective, efficient path all day long. The blood sugar spike you get from eating large amounts of fruit impact your insulin response, which impacts many other things...

So, is it healthy to eat five peaches for breakfast, then four bananas in the afternoon? Certainly more healthy than snacking on candy bars, just be aware of how your body is processing the natural sugars and understand the impact it's having on you overall.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Noo that is incorrect, sugar is sugar. Of course fruit is healthier for you ie the vitamins and minerals as opposed to a chocolate bar. But your body uses it the same. There are fruits lower in sugar if you are concerned.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    So many different answers! lol! well, I am definitely still watching my calories very closely. Making sure I dont go over. hmm.. I guess I will still watch the sugar but if I go over a little I wont worry about it. I love veggies too so its not like im just living off of fruit all day everyday haha!
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Frustrated about this every day for the last couple of weeks, finally realized that all fruits are not equal, and that BANANAS have been the culprit of all things. Nineteen grams of sugar in a medium sized one! Compared to only four in eight strawberries. I think sugar is sugar. I hate depriving myself of ice cream and desert just to be over for a stupid banana. Also I notice that the more I exercise in a day the higher my allotment for sugar is for the day.
  • Kytana
    Kytana Posts: 63
    Options
    Fructose (fruit sugar) is lower on the glycemic index, and was largely ignored or accepted as "good sugar" until more recently. Too much fructose at once can still affect your body's insulin and absorption. Fructose is fructose, regardless of the source.

Best thing to do is look up the content of whichever fruits you're eating, to see how they compare (i.e. tomatoes are pretty low.. but some fruits - like dates and figs - can be pretty high, about as much as drinking a diet soda).
  • Behavioral
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

This is a mind blowing look at food, sugar, and you body. long, but informative and important.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    So many different answers! lol! well, I am definitely still watching my calories very closely. Making sure I dont go over. hmm.. I guess I will still watch the sugar but if I go over a little I wont worry about it. I love veggies too so its not like im just living off of fruit all day everyday haha!

Ok.. I take this back after the last few responses.. lol.. Ugh.. this sucks! I like to have fruit as my snacks.. so this would be a typical day:

Breakfast: Egg whites and 1 peice of toast

snack: apple

Lunch: Probably a huge bag of brocolli or something lol.. I am having a hard time finding something easy to make for lunch since for some reason now, when I try to eat a sandwhich it makes me want to gag

snack: banana

Dinner: chicken breast, zuccini, maybe some brown rice

Those 2 snacks always put my sugars past what they should be and it drives me crazy!