Best swim fitness watch that will sync with my fitness pal?

I have killed 3 Fitbit and one Garmin watches. My main purpose for this tool is for swimming and heart rate. I do not have a cell phone. So dear community, please recommend a watch that you have found that would be the best for me. I'm ready to invest in another tracker since I am doing well on this weight loss journey of 45 lbs. lost thus far. Thank you!

Replies

• Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    What type of Garmin did you have? If it leaked or broke Garmin may even replace it.
    I've used my Garmin 920XT for the past four years and so far so good. I usually swim about 2 or 3 times a week. It syncs real well to the Garmin Connect app, training peaks, Strava, and also MFP.
  • eb8566
    eb8566 Posts: 249 Member
    I just switched to an Apple Watch so that I could swim with it. So far it is holding up in the water but it’s only been about a week. I don’t expect any issues. I like it much more than I did my Fitbit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I've got 2.5 (?) years on my Garmin Fenix 5.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Fitbit flex2 is designed to track swimming but I don’t think it has HR monitoring
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Fitbit has a new Inspire HR that tracks swimming. It’s time for me to replace as well and think I’ll go with that.
  • edandpatlockett1
    edandpatlockett1 Posts: 8 Member
    Steff46 wrote: »
    What type of Garmin did you have? If it leaked or broke Garmin may even replace it.
    I've used my Garmin 920XT for the past four years and so far so good. I usually swim about 2 or 3 times a week. It syncs real well to the Garmin Connect app, training peaks, Strava, and also MFP.

I don't remember but it was replaced twice. I killed it for the final time in the Caribbean...didn't know salt water was a no no. Does your watch sync with my fitness pal?
  • edandpatlockett1
    merekins wrote: »
    Fitbit has a new Inspire HR that tracks swimming. It’s time for me to replace as well and think I’ll go with that.
    So have you heard good things about the ne fitbit HR?
  • edandpatlockett1
    eb8566 wrote: »
    I just switched to an Apple Watch so that I could swim with it. So far it is holding up in the water but it’s only been about a week. I don’t expect any issues. I like it much more than I did my Fitbit.

Doesn't the apple watch require using a cell phone? Does it sync with my fitness pal?
  • Watch out for the Inspire HR - I purchased it when I broke my apple watch. It is water/swim proof but doesn't track your heart rate while swimming. Annoying because it was definitely marketed as a swim watch!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    &1 for the Garmin 920xt. Mine has lasted for 4 years through hundreds of swims in fresh and saltwater. As noted above, syncs with mfp and other training apps.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited August 2019

Doesn't the apple watch require using a cell phone? Does it sync with my fitness pal?

The AW requires you have an iPhone but with the models after 2 you don't need it with you for workouts. As to synching, yes and no. You can either just synch workouts and no NEAT, but for the whole synch the best current option seems to be an app called Pacer.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member

The AW requires you have an iPhone but with the models after 2 you don't need it with you for workouts. As to synching, yes and no. You can either just synch workouts and no NEAT, but for the whole synch the best current option seems to be an app called Pacer.

OP says they don't have a phone, so I'm not sure app-based syncs will work out, unless it can be a desktop app?
  • edandpatlockett1
    Not only do I not have a phone, I am very computer/electronic limited. I do have a lap top computer and fumble through it. I'm just an old fart trying to get healthy and sooooooooooooo confused. Thanks to all for their input.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited August 2019
    Not only do I not have a phone, I am very computer/electronic limited. I do have a lap top computer and fumble through it. I'm just an old fart trying to get healthy and sooooooooooooo confused. Thanks to all for their input.

If you would prefer to go low-tech, something someone recommended to me was a lap-counter ring. [Here are some lap counter options] I didn't get one, but they're around. And if you want heart rate, I there are chest straps that measure that too (and work well in the water, unlike watches). Most wrist-trackers are designed to work with a cell phone and sync to apps there.

I've lost 2 trackers myself, and I don't have the $ to throw at it anymore. For now, I've returned to logging an estimated time length and I've created a little "exercise log" in my journal where I record exercise/location/time/laps or reps/level/date. I'm using the MFP calorie estimates, and it's less confusing and fewer pieces/issues (didn't sync properly, forgot to charge device, device didn't register my double tap to signal an exercise and didn't track it properly, etc). Plus free!

I still love the instant feedback of a watch, and I'm personally keeping an eye on the Fitbit Inspire HR because it has both swiming & heart rate, but I'd bet it would be just as not-durable as your other Fitbits. Many devices are designed with an intentionally short lifespan to encourage replacing and upgrading. That said, I believe the very high-end Garmin watches are quite durable.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »

OP says they don't have a phone, so I'm not sure app-based syncs will work out, unless it can be a desktop app?

Apple Watch absolutely requires the iPhone, I can't speak for other devices.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    merekins wrote: »

I just bought one of these... haven't quite made it into the pool - but I feel way better about it in my Hot Yoga classes and I can shower in it after class, seems to be working quite well.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    I have fitbit charge 3 and so far so good with swimming
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Apple Watch requires you to have an iPhone generally but not actually at the poolside. I use mine in the pool and it seamlessly syncs to MFP when I grab my bag (containing my phone) out of the locker.