Weight loss and menopause

Options
Oh my goodness! 3 weeks on MFP and only lost 2lbs. I'm 55 and just going through menopause and I cannot believe I'm having so much trouble with losing weight! I need help...doing some research on this and all it is doing is confusing me. Any suggestions or hints would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hi. Consider joining us here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

I found it a challenge as well. There's quite a bit of research that suggests that peri-menopause is associated with higher than normal ghrelin levels. Leptin is often impaired.

There's also quite a bit of research that suggests that menopause very often causes insulin resistance.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/menopause-weight-gain#section4
    I have personally found that I've needed to lower my carbs a bit, and be more careful about the type of carbs I eat in order to be successful. (Nothing magical, this just helps me not feel hungry all the time).

Best of luck!

• skippygolunks
    skippygolunks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What has helped me the most with my weight is going on bio-identical hormones. It stopped the dreaded waist expansion in its tracks. Since going on them I do still have to be mindful but I don’t get big weight fluxes and it is so much easier to lose weight. Giving up gluten and dairy had also helped.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What has helped me the most with my weight is going on bio-identical hormones. It stopped the dreaded waist expansion in its tracks. Since going on them I do still have to be mindful but I don’t get big weight fluxes and it is so much easier to lose weight. Giving up gluten and dairy had also helped.

What approach are you using? I have been doing transdermal progesterone and estrogen lately. I was doing transdermal estrogen, and micronized progesterone, but didn't like the side effects of the progesterone.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'd take a look at exactly how much you are eating. Plenty of us take off a lot of weight after menopause. I did, and still am. It's more about calories, even at this stage of life.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had a total hyster when I was 28 and have been on HRT since (34 now). I switched to a different one last May and have noticed that this time around the weight is falling off more easily. At that time I had switched doctors and when she saw what I was on she told me that there was no way to expect weight loss with that particular HRT. I don't believe it all comes down to HRT but maybe that is something to look into if you are currently taking an HRT. I still think CICO and proper tracking is the main thing.