Clean eating

2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Well my best advice for "Clean Eating" is to eat from the Earth. Eat things that grow from the dirt, walk, swim, and fly. Things that don't have a bunch of ingredients that you can't pronounce. Things that are chemically. The less ingredients the better, even better if it has kn ingredients. (Fresh produce you pick out of the bulk bin at the store) :)

Like bacon. <nods>

Bacon.... ahhhhh.. yea...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I routinely share links to various groups about frequently asked questions or topics, I've never seen anyone take issue with a suggestion of the PCOS group despite there likely being plenty of people on the main forums who have dealt with PCOS. Many people don't realize how much there is on the MFP site, so if I happen to know of a resource that might be helpful to them, I'm going to share it. It's not a very good research practice to completely disregard another potential source of information on a topic because one source has some information on that topic. There are lots of archived threads in the main forums and in groups which can be helpful, as well as active discussions.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    An example of highly processed food and unprocessed food can be found in peanut butter. Jif is a highly processed food. One of my favorites. Shall I get the unprocessed peanut butter which separates and tastes like wallpaper paste from the little country market up the road? They just crush the peanuts to a paste and put them in the jar.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I think the less processed option tastes better. I hated peanut butter as a kid, and tried the just peanuts and salt option as an adult and realized I actually like it (although I tend to prefer other nut butters or nuts whole).

But that aside, switching out Jif for the same calories in homemade peanut butter (using a food processor and peanuts) will of course have zero effect on weight loss unless you just end up eating less since having to make it is a bigger hassle than buying it.

This is why I think focusing on nutrition and cooking from whole foods (which often results in tastier, more satisfying meals with fewer cals) can be a helpful focus for many, but worrying about whether something counts as ultraprocessed or just processed or not processed or whatever is useless and a distraction (especially given how off-the-wall some personal interpretations of what "unprocessed" is can be, like protein powder=unprocessed). I'm assuming OP is more interested in the former (cooking nutritious meals from mostly whole foods) than some kind of "all processed foods are the devil" thing unless she says otherwise.

That said, it's hard to give advice that is helpful without knowing what OP is finding challenging or difficult or needs support with.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Everyone is gonna have their own versions of their best "clean" diet and it's true it doesn't have an actual definition. For me it means reducing the kind of food I tend to overeat if it's available, things like fries, and some kinds of cookies and baked goods, and making sure to eat a good amount of fruit and vegetables each day. That said, I make sure to have alternatives around for the things that I want, like I have animal crackers instead of other cookies, and a brand I like of french/sourdough loaf, and I'll get 3-4 cookies from the self serve bins at Whole Foods or wherever instead of packets. I can do 2-3 days strict "clean" before I feel like I'm gonna lose my mind so, balance.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Looking for some tips and recipes for clean eating.

Wash your fruits and vegetables before eating them.