I cannot sleep, no matter what I do...

Options
2»

Replies

• RunsWithDogsWI
    RunsWithDogsWI Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Do you have a TV in your bedroom? I ask because I cannot sleep with a TV anywhere where I can see or hear it; it just keeps my brain on high alert. You should remove it from where you sleep posthaste; it's been proven that noise, light, and movement will keep your brain in a heightened state at bedtime.

I have a similar problem I've struggled with for years--I fall asleep easily and deeply, but often wake between 2-4 a.m. and have a devil of a time getting back to sleep after then. Or if I do, it's poor quality, wakeful sleep. I'm a very light sleeper and sleep with a white noise machine to block out house noises at night, but I suspect things wake me up around then. e.g. cat goes for his nightly tear around the house, neighbor with loud truck comes home and drives past my side of the house, etc.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'll add go to the doctor. If my thyroid levels are out of balance, I don't sleep well. Not saying its your thyroid but it could be something medical.
  • ca_josh
    ca_josh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you have issues with anxiety & depression?
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here, that I will be trying myself. Also, when you go to your doctor, ask about hydroxyzine, it’s an antihistamine, but is used sometimes for sleep aid.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Is it that you can't go to sleep, or that you can't stay asleep?

I 100% agree with the folks who say "doctor/sleep clinic" if you've truly tried everything else.

I had severe sleep interruption insomnia for about 2 years, and also tried everything, including sleep clinic and sleep apnea treatment (CPAP machine). I still woke up about every 90 minutes, all night, every night. I'd go to sleep quickly to start, and back to sleep quickly after waking, but never got into deep, restful sleep. Even prescription sleep meds didn't help: I just woke up groggy every 90 minutes, instead of non-groggy.

Finally, I went to my employer's employee assistance program (a psychological support/referral service). They told me that limited-duration cognitive behavioral therapy has a good success rate with the type of insomnia where a person can't get to sleep because their mind just keeps going (and they were disappointed I didn't have that kind of insomnia so they could help me directly ;) ). They were able to refer me to a licensed psychologist whose practice included hypnotherapy, which - while not a full cure - made a huge improvement for me. (I was able to get 3-5 hours of sound sleep most nights, before the wake-ups started.) I don't consider myself a suggestible person, and didn't really expect hypnosis to work, but by that point I was truly desperate.

YMMV.

I hope you find a solution, though: Sleeplessness is a Big Deal.
  • MARNIsw
    MARNIsw Posts: 75 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

I suffered from insomnia for years .. sometimes only clocking up 40 mins per night.. went to the doctor got meds they worked for a little while then it was back to the same old same old.. then on Fitbit post someone mentioned a Gravity Blanket.. so decided to invest in one.. it is a blanket that has very small glass beads.. it should be 10% of your weight, the glass beads hit pressure points in your body ..

had it since January and sleep is no longer an issue.. last night clocked 12hr that was like a never for me
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My wife and I tired each other out most every night. The resultant large family kept me awake, so we tired each other out some more resulting in a larger family.

eh...see a doctor.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    MARNIsw wrote: »

I suffered from insomnia for years .. sometimes only clocking up 40 mins per night.. went to the doctor got meds they worked for a little while then it was back to the same old same old.. then on Fitbit post someone mentioned a Gravity Blanket.. so decided to invest in one.. it is a blanket that has very small glass beads.. it should be 10% of your weight, the glass beads hit pressure points in your body ..

had it since January and sleep is no longer an issue.. last night clocked 12hr that was like a never for me

curious on this one, and because I don't trust testimonials by the seller - does it add insulation?

Because I don't need more heat, produce enough, and don't feel like running the AC even colder to compensate.

Thanks for tip.
  • MARNIsw
    edited June 2019
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

curious on this one, and because I don't trust testimonials by the seller - does it add insulation?

Because I don't need more heat, produce enough, and don't feel like running the AC even colder to compensate.

Thanks for tip.

I used the blanket by itself in the summer and both the blanket and my duvet in the winter..

If you do some research and see if it is something that would suit your needs .. This was how it was originally brought about ..

Blankets have been historically used in treatment for children with autism, but research shows their benefits extend to other disorders too. A small pilot studydone in 2006 showed that more than three-quarters of them preferred the blanket as a method to calm down, and more than half—63 percent—reported having lower levels of anxiety after using the blanket. Another study published in 2015 found that a weighted blanket lengthened average sleep time and decreased disruptive movement of people suffering from insomnia. Study subjects also reported that they "liked sleeping with the blanket, found it easier to settle down to sleep and had an improved sleep, where they felt more refreshed in the morning."

I can honestly say I haven't looked back since buying mine
  • Roy1C
    Roy1C Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I’ve had a weighted blanket (not Gravity brand) for 2 months and now sleep all night without waking at all. I haven’t done that since I was a teen. Might be a consideration for you. I was also worried about the extra heat but with the air on 73 and ceiling fan on, the temp is just right. I also use The Calm app for meditation/ relaxation before bed.
  • Roy1C
    Roy1C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Are you eating tons of protein at every meal? I was and i didnt sleep for about a year. Doctors found nothing wrong in their tests.

I truly hope this gets better for you and I wish you well.

You would literally be dead if this was true.
    Correlation does not imply causation.
    I have never heard of anything about protein negatively affecting sleep quality/quantity and I hang around with powerlifters, bodybuilders, MMA fighters, and guys who run sleep labs.

You start to hallucinate in under 2 weeks.
    Systems start to shut down in about 10 or 12 days.
    Speech begins to slur in about 72 hours and conversations become difficult.
    The longest documented case of total lack of sleep in a person was around 6 months, then death.

Studies on this are incomplete because it requires volunteers and could be unethical.

Most people end up having "microsleep events" after only 2 days.
    They fall asleep for up to 30 seconds and may not even know they were sleeping.

Someone was telling me and a buddy who runs a sleep clinic how she *never* sleeps.
    We both looked at each other and may have said something like "That is hard to believe", IIRC.
    About 15 minutes later I started to say something to her and she was sleeping - with her eyes open.

I couldnt find any reports on it either. I had zero answers, as did the multitude of doctors i went to. I am only speaking from my experience. I hardly chime in on these boards and this is why. Thanks for the woo.

All of us are wired so differently that solutions, medications, etc will work for some people but not others, with no explanation why. If eating protein was an issue for you, I am glad you found an answer that works for you.

I also agree with you about posting to these boards. If you notice, some of the same people are authorities on every post that comes along and like to get confrontational ...just like happed here.

• MARNIsw
    Options
    Roy1C wrote: »

I’ve had a weighted blanket (not Gravity brand) for 2 months and now sleep all night without waking at all. I haven’t done that since I was a teen. Might be a consideration for you. I was also worried about the extra heat but with the air on 73 and ceiling fan on, the temp is just right. I also use The Calm app for meditation/ relaxation before bed.

Overheating isn't a problem here in Scotland lol.. it is always Baltic (well 99.99% of the time lol)
    🥶🥶🥶
  • superfood75
    superfood75 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Have you tried CBD oil ? It works for me. I have bad insomnia.