What are you doing to lose weight?

For those of you who are on a weight loss journey and having success, I'd love to learn what you are doing with food and exercise that is giving you success and how you stay motivated.

I'm 38 years old, 5/4", and 160 pounds. I've been trying to lose 20+ pounds since my son was born almost 5 years ago but never lose more than 5 pounds and I always gain it back.

I feel like my ability to be strict enough for more than a week at a time is what's holding me back. Plus when I've lost weight in the past it was always when I was exercising 5+ days each week (weights + cardio). I've had two knee surgeries on the same knee (both sports-related injuries) and at my current weight, I just can't run anymore and am restricted to using the elliptical at the gym to get cardio.

I'm trying to work on my daily habits such as less snacking, not eating after 6pm, etc. Most meals are pretty healthy, but going out to eat, being with my husband on the weekends, and going on vacation are hardest for me.

Anyway, I'd love to get ideas about what you are doing to get results and how strict you have had to be. How often do you exercise and what do you do? What do you eat and how often do you eat off plan?

Thank you! I can really use some tips and motivation.

Replies

• QoLmatters
    QoLmatters Posts: 708 Member
    I'm following a diet (5 weeks in) - CSIRO Protein Plus. It is high protein with lower carbs but not low carb. I am finding all the extra protein keeps me feeling really full. I still track my kilojoules (calories) which I have calculated based on losing at least 700g a week. To keep me following the diet I spent some time preparing my own meal plan so I eat a different meal every night for 4 weeks and then I repeat it, keeping my food and cooking interesting. So far I'm actually losing around 800g a week.

I'm a very unfit person with bad knees and I have found in the past if I get injured exercising then I'll go for comfort food and wreck my diet. So I am currently doing some Tai Chi to improve my muscle strength and balance. This week I am going to start aqua aerobics once a week to get some cardio while supporting my weight. As I get fitter and lose more weight I hope to be able to use my treadmill again. I'm hoping the exercise will mean that I don't have to reduce my kjs too quickly as I lose weight.
  • Jalyn77
    Jalyn77 Posts: 45 Member
    Thank you, everyone! These tips are really helpful. I can easily over complicate my weight loss because I honestly do not like tracking my food in MFP for long periods of time and if I eat too much one day I feel ashamed when I log it. But I agree that a calorie deficit is the obvious answer and everything else is secondary to that including exactly what you eat and exercise. Such a good reminder, thank you!

I like everyone's ideas: intermittent fasting to reduce calories over a weekly time period, leaving room for social events and treats in order to be able to stick with it for the long run, measuring/weighing foods, thinking of exercise as a health benefit not a weight loss tool, etc.

One of the reasons I've been snacking less and trying to not eat after 6pm is because I just simply like to eat too much so having some boundaries in place when I'm not logging helps to keep my overall food intake down.

@o0kody0o so inspiring! Thank you for sharing!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I'm weighing and measuring my foods. I'm filling in my food diary a few days in advance, so I won't wake up one day and be too lazy or tempted to give up. I weigh myself every morning. I'm finding that there's a real beauty and less anxiety in sticking to a healthy routine. :)

You can do it.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Calorie deficit.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    I've been eating at a caloric deficit and the weight is coming off. Eventually I will add in exercise to the mix, but that's for heart health reasons rather than weight loss.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I am at the end of my 7th week. I set my goal for 1lb a week and so far have lost 16lbs. I realise that much of this is water at the moment, it feels to me as if it is slowing down to the correct rate now. I know that next week when i see a pound lost and not 2, I will start to feel negative. I need to ignore that and focus on the facts.

I log all my food and drinks. I overestimate when I eat out (which is too often really), we went away on holiday last month and I logged everything even though it was thousands over my maintenance.

I do try to do exercise as I know I need to get fit and it will also help a bit with the weight loss but I am incredibly lazy, I dont like moving around and everything hurts. I dont like having a red face, being out of breath or feeling sweaty. I have been doing a bit of cycling at the weekends here and there.

I think I might weigh myself fortnightly if I start getting funny about the rate of loss, even though it is my target to lose 1lb per week I know I will start to panic and think its too slow!
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    First; I chose a deficit that I could stick with. I’m only 5 Feet; 2 inches, so for all of my journey; I chose .5 lbs per week. Secondly; I have a food scale that I use to weigh everything at home.

I log every day; this is no chore for me because of my personality.

If I go to restaurants; I review the menu on line and if I go to a Buffet; I choose carefully (always have a small desert) and take a picture of my meal so that I can conservatively estimate.

It has taken me three years to lose 40 lbs; I have approximately 13lbs left to lose and it will take a while since my deficit is still .5lbs per week.

In addition; at this time I walk exclusively for activity. I love to walk so it’s more to clear my mind than for exercise. I have an Apple Watch which is linked to Fitnesspal via the Pacer App. I walk approximately 11,000 steps per day; I’m set at sedentary and eat back 50-70% of my “exercise” calories.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I wrote a couple of posts about my weight loss, I’ve maintained for almost 6 years now...
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10742984/300#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10733253/wendy-s-helped-me-lose-weight#latest
    If I could do this surely you can do it! :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    Jalyn77 wrote: »

One of the reasons I've been snacking less and trying to not eat after 6pm is because I just simply like to eat too much so having some boundaries in place when I'm not logging helps to keep my overall food intake down.

@o0kody0o so inspiring! Thank you for sharing!

Yes that is quite reasonable for you then.

As long as you recognise that stopping eating after your 6 pm dinner and eating less snacks are ways for you to adhere to your calorie deficit.

Rather than rules that have some significance in themselves.

So then, for example, if you have tea later after working overtime, you know it is ok - your personal rule is just a tool to calorie adherence not something with magical intrinsic value.
  • mrswho76
    mrswho76 Posts: 10 Member
    I started my weight loss journey in April 2013. I was 244 lbs (I'm 5'9" and am now 42.) I hit my lowest 2 years later at 175 lbs. Most of it was through consistent logging, weighing my portions when I was at home and staying at a reasonable deficit (when I started it was approximately 1800 cal, I calculated it using the spreadsheet available in the In Place Of A Roadmap group here on MFP). I didn't totally cut anything out. I did limit my soda intake because I didn't want to "waste" my calories on soda every day and I increased my water intake significantly. I cut the sugar out of my coffee too (again, because I didn't want to waste my calories.) I didn't start exercising until I was under 200 lbs. Over the last year or so, I regained 35 lbs due to stress, depression and just plain not caring. 2 weeks ago I went back to what worked the first time and it's working again. The only thing I've changed is I do weigh myself daily and track it in an app called Happy Scale that shows trends. It's very motivating for me and keeps me from getting discouraged by days that my weight is up.