New πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™€οΈ any useful advice is welcome 😊

Options
So I’m totally new to any sort of diet or exercise 😬 want to get in shape and look after myself more so any good hints or tips would be great! 😊 I have a sweet tooth so please if you have any healthy alternatives to chocolate tell me!!! πŸ˜‚

Replies

• lauracozens6557
    lauracozens6557 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some great advice! Thank
    You 😊
  • lauracozens6557
    Options
    Will defo invest in some scales! Thanks for the advice 😊
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    So I’m totally new to any sort of diet or exercise 😬 want to get in shape and look after myself more so any good hints or tips would be great! 😊 I have a sweet tooth so please if you have any healthy alternatives to chocolate tell me!!! πŸ˜‚

I have a couple of things to help with chocolate. One is dark chocolate instead of milk. I find that I feel more satisfied with much smaller amounts. A few squares is enough, whereas with milk I could just keep eating the whole block. I also like plain greek yoghurt with cacao powder and berries.
  • lauracozens6557
    Options
    I’ve been told to go for dark chocolate before so defo trying that as an alternative, hopefully I won’t want as much πŸ˜‚πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ cheers for the advice
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Good quality dark chocolate in small amounts instead of inexpensive chocolate in large amounts is what works for me. Chocolate is full of antioxidants and not something you need to avoid as long as it fits in your calories!

I also have a bag of pure cacao powder which I mix into things like Greek yogurt with fruit, and oatmeal. Cacao powder magically turns anything into a chocolate treat.

As far as other sweets are concerned, many of them spike my blood glucose (diabetic) so I just avoid them. I keep my sweet tooth under control by eating fresh fruit, frozen berries with Greek yogurt, and occasionally small treats which are worth it, like a small piece of baklava. I also like coffee with foamed milk and cinnamon. Cinnamon kind of fools your taste buds into thinking some things are sweeter than they really are.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering food addict, and I will tell you what worked for me. May not work for you! 1) I have one small piece of chocolate a day. I keep a bag of Hershey Kisses or Cadbury Eggs in my snack drawer. 20-25 calories per piece. I get that little indulgence to keep me going through the day. If at any time I break the 1-a-Day rule, it all goes in the trash because I can't be trusted. Almost 2 years without a lapse! :-) Also, if I find myself craving something, I wait a day or two. I learned that emotional cravings come on hard and fast. If the craving goes away, I really didn't need it. If it sticks around, that is my brain telling me it's time for a planned cheat with that item. If I don't plan the cheat, I will have an unplanned cheat and I will binge on that item. I plan the cheat for at least a week in advance. I LOVE doughnuts, but it can't be just any doughnut. If the cheat isn't special or worth the calories, it's a wasted cheat. Hold out for special! Flavored protein powders with less than 1-2 grams of sugar in with some unsweetened almond milk is a great way to get your choco-fix without a ton of fat, calories, and you get your protein in!

I really like this advice about waiting. For me, a huge breakthrough was realizing that if I like something I can have a small portion and then more tomorrow, I don’t have to eat it all at once. Probably normal people don’t have to learn this, but for some reason it was a revelation to me. It also gives you something to look forward to!
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I love dark chocolate covered almonds. I can’t remember where I found the article (just search google) but dark chocolate has antioxidants and in small amounts can help promote fat burning. And almonds are a healthy source of plant protein, healthy fats, and energy!:) good luck
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Fill out your food diary truthfully, which is really only possible when you've gotten your food scale.

Drink your water.

Watch your macros.

Enjoy! :)