Not Losing Weight, Confused

Options
I have always struggled with my weight. Although I am not short, 5' 5", I am quite small boned, which runs in the family, and my comfortable weight is towards the lower end of the recommended spectrum. However, it has been impossible to maintain what is comfortable. For years I have gone on and off different diets (mostly excluding dairy and trying anti-inflammatory because of a history of lactose intolerance) and this past year I finally decided to get down to business and really make it stick. I decreased calorie intake to between 1,000 and 1,400 calories (yes, measuring with measuring spoons and cups, not eyeballing). In addition I began running 2.5 miles 4 days a week, walking another 2.5-5, and cutting down on carbs. After about three months my effort showed but did not reflect the effort, decreasing from 128-123lbs. I continued this for another 6 months hoping that maybe if I kept it up I would still lose. I increased my running mileage to 2.5 miles every day. 6 months later I made it to a goal of just below 117.

Now, as it is summer, I have more time to run and bake, a hobby I enjoy. I began eating a baked good each day which seemed allowable because I increased my running regimen. However, within 1.5 weeks I gained three pounds (I had still yet to pass a daily intake of 1,400 calories). I increased my running even further to try to prevent additional gain and stopped consuming baked goods, returning my diet to the way it was when I was 117 and running 2.5 miles every day. My weight increased another 3lbs, this time in 1 week despite cutting calories below the amount at which I had once lost.

Needless to say, I am greatly confused. Currently, and for the past month, I am running 7miles a day, walking an additional 3, and do not consume beyond 1,400 calories. Yet, I cannot fit into my current wardrobe and appear to be consistently gaining weight. I do not see how this is possible as the energy I am expending requires that my intake should be consumed and then some.

I would also like to add that I am undergoing allergy testing for possible celiac disease. I do not consume gluten, dairy, sweets, foods with added sugar, alcohol, red meat, or caffeinated beverages besides a morning half-cup of coffee. In addition, because of these limitations I have not eaten fast food in over a year.

Sorry for the long post but it has been a very long journey and I'm nearly at my wits end! Any ideas to how or why this weight gain is occurring? And most of all, any ideas how to make it stop?

-Malie

Replies

• Westieok
    Westieok Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The composition of your body is changing. Often this causes plateaus. Keep up the good work and you will get through it.
  • mrswinterx
    mrswinterx Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much I will start logging everything separate and see if that makes a difference.

I will give myself a couple of weeks without weighing myself and see if it drops a bit then.

Thank you again I will give myself a day to rest do I need to rest from everything or can I still do my squats everyday ?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    mrswinterx wrote: »
    Thank you very much I will start logging everything separate and see if that makes a difference.

I will give myself a couple of weeks without weighing myself and see if it drops a bit then.

Thank you again I will give myself a day to rest do I need to rest from everything or can I still do my squats everyday ?

If it doesn't cause you undo stress, I'd encourage weighing yourself daily and using a trending app like HappyScale or Libra (excel works too) to gather a more statistically significant data set. Due to fluid changes scale weight can fluctuate greatly and make it hard (and sometimes discouraging as you're finding) comparing point-to-point weights.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

weight each individual ingredient and logging separately is key. for anything you have control over (for recipes create your own). food scale for everything.

if you were open to it, one option is to open your diary temporarily and some of the members who've been at it years can take a peak and offer some tips/suggestions or areas that could potentially maybe be problematic.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • mrswinterx
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

weight each individual ingredient and logging separately is key. for anything you have control over (for recipes create your own). food scale for everything.

if you were open to it, one option is to open your diary temporarily and some of the members who've been at it years can take a peak and offer some tips/suggestions or areas that could potentially maybe be problematic.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings[/quote]

How do I open my diary
  • mrswinterx
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

If it doesn't cause you undo stress, I'd encourage weighing yourself daily and using a trending app like HappyScale or Libra (excel works too) to gather a more statistically significant data set. Due to fluid changes scale weight can fluctuate greatly and make it hard (and sometimes discouraging as you're finding) comparing point-to-point weights.

I will try this and see if it helps any I do drink a lot of tea and coffee bad habit I think I’m having a lot of empty calories in just this alone could be part of my problem maybe water weight ?