Is it fine to eat 1000-1250 calories a day?

Options
I’m 18, 5’4 and weigh about 135-140 lbs. I’m trying to lose weight and I’ve been consuming about 1000-1300 (at the most) calories a day - healthy things like tuna, turkey, salmon etc, I’ve also been working out (not at gyms) but walking about 15,000 steps a day etc and I’m just wondering whether this is a good way to lose weight.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    angelinahx wrote: »
    I’m 18, 5’4 and weigh about 135-140 lbs. I’m trying to lose weight and I’ve been consuming about 1000-1300 (at the most) calories a day - healthy things like tuna, turkey, salmon etc, I’ve also been working out (not at gyms) but walking about 15,000 steps a day etc and I’m just wondering whether this is a good way to lose weight.

Not at 5'4" long term. I'm an inch shorter than you and my base to lose 1/2lb per week (I'm less than 10lbs from a healthy BMI now is 1340). Truth is, I generally eat more like 1650, because exercise give me more.

1000 is what a sedentary toddler (oxymoron, I know!) needs. 1200 is the bare minimum to meet your nutrition needs, but generally not a good idea unless someone is both short and sedentary. And by "short" I mean under 5'.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Also an important question: are you still growing? If you have stopped growing, then dieting can be okay. However, if you have grown in height in the last 6 months, you may still be growing (some can grow until 22 years old) and in that case, dieting is rarely recommended unless medical reasons, because your body needs resources to finish the maturation process, like making sure your brain and body are functionally adult.
  • Sia_33
    Sia_33 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Can u tell me more about what you eat? I'm also 5.3ft. 13st 12ibs .I go gym 3* a week do cardio some days strength.but weight isn't shifting.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Can u tell me more about what you eat? I'm also 5.3ft. 13st 12ibs .I go gym 3* a week do cardio some days strength.but weight isn't shifting.

are you using a food scale for all foods and carefully selecting entires in the food diary?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

how did you calculate your calorie goal?

This thread is a great place to start:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    angelinahx wrote: »

Sounds like you're massively under eating given the amount of steps you do.

Agreed, I was going to say the same thing.

OP, you're already at a healthy weight. My guess: To get what you want aesthetically won't come from massively cutting calories to toddler level to lose more weight but probably more from taking a good look at your workout program (getting on something structured) and fueling it properly.