Eating after 6:00pm

Does anyone have an opinion about eating dinner after 6:00pm.

I set down with a nutritionist at the end of February. I have taken off 63 pounds but in recent I am slowing down on the weight loss. I have gone back over my notes and I keep re-reading where she says to eat before 6:00pm and if I can't then I should just eat a protein bar and count that as my dinner. If I did this I would never eat dinner, most evenings I am just getting dinner started by 6:00pm. Even food prepping and crock-pot cooking, with my work schedule we can't get dinner consumed before 6:pm.

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Fire that nutritionist, if possible find a registered dietician if you need help with a meal plan.

^This
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I set down with a nutritionist at the end of February. I have taken off 63 pounds but in recent I am slowing down on the weight loss. I have gone back over my notes and I keep re-reading where she says to eat before 6:00pm and if I can't then I should just eat a protein bar and count that as my dinner. If I did this I would never eat dinner, most evenings I am just getting dinner started by 6:00pm. Even food prepping and crock-pot cooking, with my work schedule we can't get dinner consumed before 6:pm.

From a logic standpoint, how would or could this even matter?

I'm rarely home by 6PM from the office and my wife and I usually eat dinner around 8:30PM...lost 40 Lbs pretty easily.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Calories are the only thing that matter in terms of weight loss.

Meal timing can help with compliance/satiety but will not have any effect on weight loss. Your nutritionist is using 'bro science' from the 80's/90's with that recommendation.

What’s bro science?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I go to bed around 12 pm. If I eat dinner before 6 pm, you better believe I am gonna eat again before bedtime!

Same. I don’t event eat lunch until 2ish most days and I’m not even hungry again before 7 or 8.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member

My opinion is that this rule is silly.

My experience is that losing weight does not rely on eating dinner before 6 pm.

I very very rarely eat dinner before 6 - most days I'm not even home from work till about then - and I never eat protein bars.

Lost to goal weight in 2013 and kept it off since.

I can see that for some people , not eating after x time is a helpful strategy - generally not eating after dinner, not the time in particular - because it helps them avoid mindless high calorie evening snacking in front of TV.

I do usually have a small snack after dinner as well, often about 9 or 10 pm - so not eating after dinner wasnt a neccesary rule for me.
    But can see the logic for some people.

The thing is to recognise it as a strategy and then decide if it is useful to you, , rather than see it as a magic or compulsory rule