FASTING, love it or hate it?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I would hate it - I can only eat small amounts at a time because I fill up easily.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I only fast overnight (around 12 hrs. between dinner and next day breakfast), or if I have a medical procedure or a test the next day. Personal preference in my opinion.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's opinion on fasting? It's something I've never tried before, do y'all love it or hate it? Why or why not??

Depending on the type of fasting you're considering, how you'll fare will be affected by the low-energy intervals within your active hours.

I'm used to fasting (Church calendar & Judaica) and I have circumstantially fasted at times over the years for convenience, however personally, I'd really rather not.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Love it! It is teaching me that my “need” for fuel every few hours is all in my head, it is helping me learn not to grab things mindlessly, it is satisfying for me to eat a larger amount of calories in a 2-4hoir window instead of spreading it out through the day. I find sometimes I eat in a larger window as occasionally I am genuinely hungry and need food earlier in the day, but for the most part it is easy for me to stick to and simplifies my day.

ETA: I never really notice the dreaded “energy lag” that other people use for an argument against. If anything I am more energetic as my digestion sucks and if I eat earlier in the day I end up in pain.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Penn seriously under ate, which is sad. He learned nothing on how to eat like regular people for the rest of his life. He must be fun to hang out with now.

What he calls "easy" would be very insulting if I cared what he thought.
  • Clarisse_McClellan
    Clarisse_McClellan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I find that intermittent fasting, with some modifications, works best for me. My modifications are that I have creamer with my coffee in the morning, and I don't have an exact eating window. I have a protein bar around 4:00 pm, dinner around 6:00 or 7:00, and a treat later, anywhere from 10:00 to midnight. I find it's an effective means to control my tendency to eat when I'm bored.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I do intermittent fasting. The 16/8 schedule didn't work for me, so I do a 13/11 schedule. It has helped my stomach and I sleep much better.

13/11? Isn’t that just... life? I eat dinner around 7:30 - 8, often don’t eat anything after dinner, go to bed around 11:30, get up at 5:30, work out in the morning, take conference calls from home till 8-8:30, get to work around 9 and usually have coffee and breakfast then.

I had no idea I was an intermittent faster....

Well, by that definiton we are nearly all intermittent fasters - I do something like 10/14 (if I have understood this numerical system correctly??) - my last food is around 10 pm, and then coffee/breakfast usually around 8:00 next morning.

I mean, unless you eat absolutely last thing before sleeping and absolutely first thing on waking, (or wake up and eat in middle of night, I suppose) wouldn't most people do something similar?

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like it and find it helpful, but I neither love nor hate it, tbh.
  • cupotea
    cupotea Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out on IF (16/8) and finding it works quite well for me so far. I wondered if people had any recommendations for good articles or apps for it?
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    cupotea wrote: »
    I'm just starting out on IF (16/8) and finding it works quite well for me so far. I wondered if people had any recommendations for good articles or apps for it?

I use the Zero Fasting Tacker app and like it. It’s free with thus far no extra-paying premium version. I like it.

Do a search and you’ll easily find it.

Here’s a screenshot of my yesterday.

xsh05bqgf9oe.png
  • cupotea
    cupotea Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I use the Zero Fasting Tacker app and like it. It’s free with thus far no extra-paying premium version. I like it.

Do a search and you’ll easily find it.

Here’s a screenshot of my yesterday.

Great, thanks for the recommendation - just downloaded it!
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love it. I've now progressed to a 20/4 window and it works the best for me (I am inclined to night binge when I consume most of my calories during the day).
This discussion has been closed.