Hypothyroid and weight gain/loss

Just looking to see if there are any members who have subclinical hypothyroidism or hypothyroidism and if you have had excess abrupt weight gain and / or if you have had weight loss success?

I've been struggling for over a year... had lost 85 lbs then something changed I stopped losing weight January to May 2018 (last spring) them June to end if September gained 35 lbs!! I've struggled and struggled to get this 35 back off. I'm on 25 mcg synthroid since March 2019.

Replies

• Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    There are some good threads on thyroid issues but I'm not sure how to post links. Just type 'thyroid' in the search bar and they'll come up.
    Good luck.
  • karas_journey
    karas_journey Posts: 33 Member
    How do I reply to someone individually? I've been on MFP for 1290 plus days think and never really used the forums lol

I'm on 25 mcg synthroid which brought TSH from 8.92 to 4.78. But that wasn't optimal so I now have a new script for 50 mcg. I took 12 weeks of vitamin D3 50000 IU. All iron is great T4 is right at mid point of range and T3 is above mid point almost upper 3rd. I have multiple sclerosis but I lost the 85 lbs or so so I don't think that is impacting my weight.
  • karas_journey
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've been pretty severely hypothyroid for about 18 years, but am properly medicated. (Generic levothyroxine works fine for me, though that's not true for everyone. I take 175mcg daily, per directions - first thing in AM, empty stomach, wait designated time before eating, don't take calcium supplement soon after, etc.) I'm medicated to the low end of the "normal" TSH range, which my doctor is fine with, as that's where I feel best, and I have no hyperthyroid symptoms (irregular/racing heartbeat, or that sort of thing).

Back in 2015, at age 59-60, I used MFP to lose around 50 pounds, from mid-180s to mid-130s at 5'5", and have remained at a healthy weigh for 3+ years since.

If you're undermedicated, water retention and fatigue (reduced activity) can account for some weight gain. Extende reduced activity can result in some muscle loss, exacerbating the situation. Also, if you happen to be one of the people with T3/T4 conversion issues (your doctor should've tested for this), then you may need a different drug, or additional ones.

March to now is a fairly short time: Have you continued to have repeat blood tests to make sure your current dose is working for you? It can take weeks to months to get the dosage adjusted properly: They like to start low, and move upward, because hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone) is a health risk in itself.

I understand that this can be really frustrating: Best wishes!

Okay I'm figuring out how to reply! I have been testing TSH T4 T3 for 12 months and first time I started synthroid i got anxiety.. but now I take half 50 mcg tablet that has no dye. But I only got my level to 4.79 around there since March 15th so 3 months it was at 8.9 something. I know it takes time I've had my hormones checked I'm not on menopause or Peri menopause but activity level is not high as o have MS as well. I'll see of the 50 mcg tabs help. But I can't have any slips or I gain.. I often wonder if I'm not eating enough. I do intermittent fasting with a lowish carb approach. Still eat sweet potato oatmeal no more than 3 serving fruit a day usually berries.
  • karas_journey
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Have you had blood work done recently? Are you on the optimal medication for you?
    If you are taking the optimal meds for you, weight loss shouldn't be any different than it would be for someone with out hypothyroidism.

Yes tons of blood work.. only one we didn't do was reverse T3 but antibodies and full thyroid panel iron panel glucose triglycerides etc. I'm in range now but not optimal I think I need to get it around 2 ish to be optimal I'm just under the top of the range. My Dr said usually they don't treat till TSH above 10. But endocrinologist has treated me.
  • Pearl4686
    How do I reply to someone individually?

To reply to someone individually and /or highlight bits of text, press quote at the bottom of their post. You can then edit as you see fit.

I've been hypoththyroid for 9 years (on 125 MCG levo) but never had the classic symptoms. I gained 28 kg (roughly 56lb) in pregnancy and was diagnosed shortly after having my baby. For the next few years I convinced myself that my weight issues were thyroid related and mentally was not ready to out the work in.
    Once I got my head in the right place and started logging etc the weight slowly came off as one would expect. I've lost 20 lb in 6 months with a very gentle deficit and still plenty treats.
    I'm now being reviewed by my doctor as I'm having random symptoms again (heart palpitations, shakes, hairloss) so my meds probably need adjusting. Interestingly, my weight has continued to act the same as before (slow loss)
    Not saying it will be the same for you but thought it's important to not make assumptions. Anything goes with thyroid I think...
  • karas_journey
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    How do I reply to someone individually?

To reply to someone individually and /or highlight bits of text, press quote at the bottom of their post. You can then edit as you see fit.

I've been hypoththyroid for 9 years (on 125 MCG levo) but never had the classic symptoms. I gained 28 kg (roughly 56lb) in pregnancy and was diagnosed shortly after having my baby. For the next few years I convinced myself that my weight issues were thyroid related and mentally was not ready to out the work in.
    Once I got my head in the right place and started logging etc the weight slowly came off as one would expect. I've lost 20 lb in 6 months with a very gentle deficit and still plenty treats.
    I'm now being reviewed by my doctor as I'm having random symptoms again (heart palpitations, shakes, hairloss) so my meds probably need adjusting. Interestingly, my weight has continued to act the same as before (slow loss)
    Not saying it will be the same for you but thought it's important to not make assumptions. Anything goes with thyroid I think...

Thank you... I figured out the reply part I was typing in the quoted part but hit done above instead of post reply below 🤣 duh... MS cog fog haha.. I've had hypo and hyper symptoms. Fatigue hair loss dry skin dry hair ...etc etc at first it was like I was hyper.. anxiety panic attacks nervousness sweating palpitations hair loss etc no weight gain. Then it was like a switch went off and boom fatigue cycle for 55 days cold intolerance 35 lb weight gain rapidly... now it's stopped but wow what a ride with thyroid!!
  • Pearl4686
    but wow what a ride with thyroid!!

Indeed!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I'm hypothyroid as well. 125 mcg/day of synthroid. I lost over 100 lbs. I do however find my maintenance calories are about 200 below what they tell me they should be. Am I weighing every bite... no. Maybe I can't measure correctly but either way I know how I have to eat to maintain. Having said all that I hit a plateau after I lost about 80 lbs and the answer for me was a diet break. I ate at maintenance for a week then went back on plan and lost another 20 lbs. You might want to give that a try. They say you should actually break for 2 weeks but I was terrified of gaining it all back. Good luck.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    How do I reply to someone individually? I've been on MFP for 1290 plus days think and never really used the forums lol

I'm on 25 mcg synthroid which brought TSH from 8.92 to 4.78. But that wasn't optimal so I now have a new script for 50 mcg. I took 12 weeks of vitamin D3 50000 IU. All iron is great T4 is right at mid point of range and T3 is above mid point almost upper 3rd. I have multiple sclerosis but I lost the 85 lbs or so so I don't think that is impacting my weight.

This is a very good sign. That is a strong reaction in TSH from such a small dosage, so no indication of competing molecules or medicine. Optimal range for TSH is 0.4 - 4.0, but it's a tricky metric. What "feels" normal for you would be what your normal level was during your developmental years.

I would also agree that the MS isn't impacting your weight and kudos to you and whoever else made such an early diagnosis.

One thing to consider is that since you have an issue with a gland the best course is to establish a solid routine to your life, so the more consistency you have, the better your body will manage.
  • karas_journey
    I'm hypothyroid as well. 125 mcg/day of synthroid. I lost over 100 lbs. I do however find my maintenance calories are about 200 below what they tell me they should be. Am I weighing every bite... no. Maybe I can't measure correctly but either way I know how I have to eat to maintain. Having said all that I hit a plateau after I lost about 80 lbs and the answer for me was a diet break. I ate at maintenance for a week then went back on plan and lost another 20 lbs. You might want to give that a try. They say you should actually break for 2 weeks but I was terrified of gaining it all back. Good luck.

This is very encouraging because I joined a thyroid Facebook group and everyone says you can't lose weight. I originally needed to lose 155. I was down 85 when I plateaued for 6 months and went hypo as I wasn't while losing weight. I do know breaks are beneficial. I originally lost 135 lbs in 2004 and kept it off till 2012 when I got on several weight gaining medications for MS. But things went very wrong last summer. I'm hoping to get things optimized and get this weight off!! Thx for the encouragement i know it's possible.
  • karas_journey
    yirara wrote: »
    I'm hypothyroid. Lost about 40lbs while being untreated and it worked well by carefully weighing and tracking everything.

Something went wrong from early on this year and I recently found out my TSH had risen to 8.9 and my fT3 and fT4 were only within the lower 20% of the range (should be over 35, ideally over 60%). I think I was taking long expired levothyroxine, and I felt that way, had a massive appetite for certain snacks and was always hungry and suuuper tired, had massive reflux in the end and literally no brains. Glad it was found out. Less glad: while I was in hospital with a gallbladder colic. Oh well.. thyroid is getting better again, thus that's at least something.

Things can fluctuate with the thyroid as I have come to find out! But I agree with T3 should be upper third of range and T4 mid range of slightly above. TSH 2 or under. Another comfort knowing that you lost weight with a thyroid issue too!
  • karas_journey
    CSARdiver wrote: »

This is a very good sign. That is a strong reaction in TSH from such a small dosage, so no indication of competing molecules or medicine. Optimal range for TSH is 0.4 - 4.0, but it's a tricky metric. What "feels" normal for you would be what your normal level was during your developmental years.

I would also agree that the MS isn't impacting your weight and kudos to you and whoever else made such an early diagnosis.

One thing to consider is that since you have an issue with a gland the best course is to establish a solid routine to your life, so the more consistency you have, the better your body will manage.

I'm in Canada and my lab is 0.5 to 5.0 but states is up to 4. But recent news and research says that the range should be lowered to 3. Optimal is 1 to 2 from what I've learned. My number goes down quick but I don't feel any better still have a lot of symptoms and crushing fatigue is one that is unmanageable. I have nodules and have had an ultrasound but not not enough for a biopsy I'll get it checked in another 6 months. Thyroid is very tricky and frustrating :(
  • karas_journey
    Thanks for all the feedback I feel more optimistic that this weight will come off! Just can't be lazy I'm 45 now so things aren't quite as easy. Thx everyone!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

I'm in Canada and my lab is 0.5 to 5.0 but states is up to 4. But recent news and research says that the range should be lowered to 3. Optimal is 1 to 2 from what I've learned. My number goes down quick but I don't feel any better still have a lot of symptoms and crushing fatigue is one that is unmanageable. I have nodules and have had an ultrasound but not not enough for a biopsy I'll get it checked in another 6 months. Thyroid is very tricky and frustrating :(

You probably know this, but in case not: It will take some time of taking your new, higher dose of levothyroxine/synthroid for you to feel the full effects. Here's hoping you'll get some symptomatic improvement as that kicks in!

Hang in there: There are quite a few people on MFP who've lost weight while hypothroid, even some who weren't fully normalized on medications yet. It's a complicating factor, but it isn't universally a complete barrier to weight loss.

Best wishes!
  • karas_journey
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You probably know this, but in case not: It will take some time of taking your new, higher dose of levothyroxine/synthroid for you to feel the full effects. Here's hoping you'll get some symptomatic improvement as that kicks in!

Hang in there: There are quite a few people on MFP who've lost weight while hypothroid, even some who weren't fully normalized on medications yet. It's a complicating factor, but it isn't universally a complete barrier to weight loss.

Best wishes!

I think I got into a forum where people aren't getting better or haven't and aren't losing weight etc.. not all but if i posted about weight loss it was soooo deflating and negative. I know it's possible I just have to tweak things now and shave off some calories and try to get moving more! I've been fine on 25 mcg and in normal range so to speak... but fine is not optimal! Thx for your thoughts words and encouragement :)