Raw diet heavy in greens is key to gorilla slimness and heal

Options
13»

Replies

• Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Also, I agree on the omnivore definition. They purposefully eat the termites. It's not like the 8 spiders we all eat in our sleep in our lifetime type of bug eating.

Also in our chocolate bars.

Ick. And now I will never look at chocolate in the same light again. :sick:

Chocolate-covered spider/bug parts are better than non-chocolate-covered spider/bug parts.

Trust me.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Also, I agree on the omnivore definition. They purposefully eat the termites. It's not like the 8 spiders we all eat in our sleep in our lifetime type of bug eating.

Also in our chocolate bars.

Ick. And now I will never look at chocolate in the same light again. :sick:

Chocolate-covered spider/bug parts are better than non-chocolate-covered spider/bug parts.

Trust me.

LOL. Probably true. I've eaten crickets on purpose before, but they were cleaned and oven roasted. They weren't chocolate covered, but they had a ranch powder on them. They were OK, but they probably would've been better had they been dipped in chocolate. :drinker:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Kristhin, I think you forgot to mention that the entire content of your post is from here: http://www.vegsource.com/news/2011/06/raw-diet-heavy-in-greens-is-key-to-gorilla-slimness-and-health.html

I just wouldn't want anyone to be accused of plagiarism.

And here's the NYT article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/07/science/07obgorilla.html
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnivore

There, that ought to help. Also note that different primate species eat different things. Some primates (chimps & baboons, for example) are omnivorous. Gorillas are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla

The argument about whether they are or not can be argues either way.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090528104919AAAmEAu

As to why people argue these points (a later posting) is not because I care what you eat but that if you make statements, you should be accurate..
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new around here.

I've done raw vegan. I am a vegan, have been for five years.

I eat predominately salads, with lots of dark leafy greens, extra chopped veggies, have cucumber/carrot/apple juice each morning, eat organic grapes, and other fruit, and then I will have some tempeh or quinoa thrown in there.

Occasionally, I'll munch a few raw nuts/seeds, generally about a tablespoon of them, once or twice a week.

I also have fibro, and one of the things I've learned is that fibro can be linked to not enough protein. Not necessarily not eating enough, but not absorbing enough. I've been working on increasing my lean, green protein, while keeping fat and carbs under control.

Oh, have I mentioned that I haven't lost an ounce? In fact, it seems like the less I eat, the more I gain.

Yes, I do exercise, thank you. I currently walk about 30 minutes a day, as I am able to. The fibro and CMP kicks my butt badly, making the pain in my joints and feet too intense to exercise, especially if I "push it" at all. I have the edema problem, and all the rest of it, too.

Don't think that I'm looking for "the answer"... mostly, I'm just venting.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Hi, I'm new around here.

I've done raw vegan. I am a vegan, have been for five years.

I eat predominately salads, with lots of dark leafy greens, extra chopped veggies, have cucumber/carrot/apple juice each morning, eat organic grapes, and other fruit, and then I will have some tempeh or quinoa thrown in there.

Occasionally, I'll munch a few raw nuts/seeds, generally about a tablespoon of them, once or twice a week.

I also have fibro, and one of the things I've learned is that fibro can be linked to not enough protein. Not necessarily not eating enough, but not absorbing enough. I've been working on increasing my lean, green protein, while keeping fat and carbs under control.

Oh, have I mentioned that I haven't lost an ounce? In fact, it seems like the less I eat, the more I gain.

Yes, I do exercise, thank you. I currently walk about 30 minutes a day, as I am able to. The fibro and CMP kicks my butt badly, making the pain in my joints and feet too intense to exercise, especially if I "push it" at all. I have the edema problem, and all the rest of it, too.

Don't think that I'm looking for "the answer"... mostly, I'm just venting.

Hey raevynn. I'm sorry to hear that your fibromyalgia is not improving. Are you gluten-free too? I have heard that helps a lot of people.

Also, I realize you are a vegan but have you looked into the paleolithic diet? (Note: I say this NOT because I'm hating on veganism or because I'm trying to push a particular diet but ONLY because I have heard a ton of anecdotal evidence that people's fibro has improved tremendously after starting this diet and many of these people were vegan and/or gluten-free already.)

(Now I'm just going to duck from the arrows soon to be launched my way. :laugh: )
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Kaitlyn, thank you for posting the link, as it was not my intention to imply that I wrote this myself. I meant to post the author of it but guess it was accidentally not pasted.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    They mentioned Atkins diet once....yes...once. It could've been easily interchanged with any other protein-rich diet. And nobody said it had to be animal protein. This isn't showing me how vegans are under attack, but rather how several vegans have the perception of being under attack.
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's sad how this thread has turned into a big argument with aggressive comments rather than how it was probably intended which was to discuss the benefits of a plant based diet.

I read somewhere recently that cats and dogs are about the only animals that eat processed food ( which we feed them) other animals eat raw food and dont have various human diseases such as cancer ( which dogs and cats get)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The last thing I want is to look like a gorilla.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet is of course high in eggs, meat, dairy, bacon and other cholesterol-laden foods, while low on carbs. It's your basic garbage nonsense diet designed to lose weight fast and put you into an early grave -- Atkins himself died at the age of 72, weighing 258 pounds, at 6 feet tall.

Based on this, you know nothing about the Atkins diet or Dr. Atkins himself. I do not follow the Atkins diet, but if you read his book (which I did), you would find that he actually promotes eating foods in its natural form, and that the body is designed to process nuts, fruits, veggies, and meat, not all of the processed junk that's currently all over the news. He doesn't say, "eat bacon, for it is good for you." What he says is, "eat butter instead of margarine because butter is natural. Eat a serving of leafy greens with your steak because it is good for you."

Also, 258 pounds is not terribly overweight for someone who is 6 foot tall. You make it sound like he weighed 350 pounds for something. And he didn't die of a heart attack or get put in an early grave - he was 72. And again, he didn't die from the foods he was eating. He fell and hit his head.

Again, I am not on the Atkins diet. I love potatoes too much to give them up ever. lol

I agree pretty much. I did the math and for me to be at 8% bodyfat i have to weigh 235lbs. I am 6'2" plus HES OLD!!!

The 258 he weighed was his weight upon death when he had been hospitalized for several days after falling and hitting his head resulting in bleeding in the brain. While his body was shutting down, it filled with fluids. The fluids increased his weight significantly. I don't recall off-hand but he weighed at least 20-30# less than that before the fall.
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    It's sad how this thread has turned into a big argument with aggressive comments rather than how it was probably intended which was to discuss the benefits of a plant based diet.

I read somewhere recently that cats and dogs are about the only animals that eat processed food ( which we feed them) other animals eat raw food and dont have various human diseases such as cancer ( which dogs and cats get)

Clearly you haven't followed many of the vegan/vegetarian threads which turn into "people who eat meats are the worst blablabla."
  • questionablemethods
    Options

I agree, although I might say that it is us feeding the cats and dogs foods that they did not evolve to eat (which, by default, is any processed food). Beef cattle fed grain also get much fatter (their meat becomes more marbled) than grass-fed cattle and they also have more disease.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Scwiggity if u hate veg threads so much, how come you spend more time than I do on them? Besides its not an everybody should be vegan thread at all and I eat with my friends who order meat in restaurants just like anybody else. I just think the environment and our health would be better for everybody if ppl eat LESS meat. That doesn't mean one of my best friends isn't just that bc he gets mcnuggets every week. It doesn't mean I have to hide in a corner over my diet tho either
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

The Atkins diet is of course high in eggs, meat, dairy, bacon and other cholesterol-laden foods, while low on carbs. It's your basic garbage nonsense diet designed to lose weight fast and put you into an early grave -- Atkins himself died at the age of 72, weighing 258 pounds, at 6 feet tall.

In a later post..
    Yes, I am well aware, and have been for years, that "Around" diet of head trauma.

Well then why did you word that phrase in the first quote to sound like there's a connection between his diet and his death? All the early grave stuff etc etc.. I also wouldn't call 72 an early grave.

Also:
    The moral? The protein pushers are insidious, and can't even acknowledge that a very close relative of humans is thriving magnificently on a healthy plant-strong diet which is 97% vegan.

You're attacking so called "protein pushers" but can't acknowledge yourself that the gorillas' diet (which cause them to thrive as you said) sometimes consists of 30% protein!
  • questionablemethods
    Options

In a later post..
    Yes, I am well aware, and have been for years, that "Around" diet of head trauma.

Well then why did you word that phrase in the first quote to sound like there's a connection between his diet and his death? All the early grave stuff etc etc.. I also wouldn't call 72 an early grave.

Also:
    The moral? The protein pushers are insidious, and can't even acknowledge that a very close relative of humans is thriving magnificently on a healthy plant-strong diet which is 97% vegan.

You're attacking so called "protein pushers" but can't acknowledge yourself that the gorillas' diet (which cause them to thrive as you said) sometimes consists of 30% protein!

She did not write any of the first post. It was copy-pasted from another site and she forgot to include the link back or the author's name.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    I am going to guess that gorilla's are healthy becuase they have not yet figured out the drive-through.... :wink:
    Bwahahaha! That was good! I can see one ordering a banana shake!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

In a later post..

Also:

She did not write any of the first post. It was copy-pasted from another site and she forgot to include the link back or the author's name.

In any case, the original author of the article is obviously inattentive or intellectually dishonest.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    In any case, the original author of the article is obviously inattentive or intellectually dishonest.

I agree.
  • Schwiggity
    Options

In a later post..

Also:

In that case I misspoke. However, whoever did write that needs to reexamine the original Times article as well as their own biases.