Bad News - High Cholesterol

Options

Replies

• AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    What exactly was high? What do your labs look like?

Give me a few hours and I will post the results on here. I just got a phone call about it but I need to log into my patient portal after work.
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    My husband has high cholesterol. He is West Indian. He has never been overweight, always eaten healthy, excercised regularly. His cholesterol is high due to genetics. He tried to get it lower with changes to his diet. Less red meat, more fish, fruit, veg, also using cholesterol lowering drinks and spreads. But although it came down a little he still has to take statins.

You need to discuss your treatment with your medical team so you know exactly what you need to do to get it lower.

Your right and I will. I found out mine may be genetic
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    AquaMeow wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    So, I just got my lab results back that my thyroid is great but my cholesterol is high. I've been eating fairly healthy and very very low junk/processed food (once every 8 to 10 days) But for some reason I can't seem to lower my cholesterol. I work out 3 days a week for an hour + I do and extensive amount of cardio outside of the gym (I rack up about 700 active minutes a week alone, according to my fitness app)

My allergies are the following: all nuts, avocado, seafood except fish and oysters, some fruits and vegetables, chick peas, green beans, etc. but I've been eating them anyways and taking a zyrtec for the allergic reaction that may happen.

What should I eat on a low cholesterol diet? I guess no more eggs for me. :(

I think the bigger question here is why are you eating foods you're allergic to and depending on an OTC allergy medicine to avert what could turn into anaphylaxis?

What choice do I have? Healthy foods equals weight loss and unhealthy foods equals weight gain

Yeeeeeeeeeah, that's not how it works. Eating less calories than you burn equals weight loss. Eating more calories than you burn equals weight gain.

Yup
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Which value in particular was high? I have been a vegetarian for 26 years. About 10 years ago, I had a high overall cholesterol reading, but the main contributor was my triglycerides. The doctor I was seeing at the time recommended stopping refined carbohydrates so I switched to whole grains for everything and my cholesterol turned around completely, and I have maintained good values in the decade since with my last three total cholesterol readings being 150, 150, and 149. (I also started taking algae-based omega-3 DHA/EPA supplements but fish oil would work if you are not vegetarian.)

That advice may not help if triglycerides aren't your problem.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    What exactly was high? What do your labs look like?

Give me a few hours and I will post the results on here. I just got a phone call about it but I need to log into my patient portal after work.

Cool.

There are some numbers that are more important than others. Triglycerides, A1C, HDL, LDL-P (not really tested), and CRP are better correlation factors.