Options

Replies

• AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    AquaMeow wrote: »
    How concerned was your doctor about your cholesterol results? What did they say?

Pretty concerned since it was like this last year ..

Did your doctor recommend any follow up testing? Did they talk about treatment options--exercise, diet, medication, anything? Your doctor needs to give you information about how to address any medical problems, not just give you test results with no context or discussion. If your doctor didn't give you any additional information, I would make a follow up appointment to discuss your lab work and what to do next.

I need a new doctor. Cause she never really followed up with me about it afterwards.
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    Try taking Garlique. It can be found on Amazon or Ebay. Very reasonable price and works well with proper diet and exercise. Gentics plays a huge roll as well.

Thank you I will look into Garlique.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Try taking Garlique. It can be found on Amazon or Ebay. Very reasonable price and works well with proper diet and exercise. Gentics plays a huge roll as well.

If you supplement with Garlic, I would recommend that you review the below to get an adequate dosage.

https://examine.com/supplements/garlic/
    Most studies on garlic use a dosage range of 600-1,200mg a day, usually divided into multiple doses. The minimum effective dose for raw garlic is a single segment of a garlic bulb (called a clove), eaten with meals two or three times a day.
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

If you supplement with Garlic, I would recommend that you review the below to get an adequate dosage.

https://examine.com/supplements/garlic/
    Most studies on garlic use a dosage range of 600-1,200mg a day, usually divided into multiple doses. The minimum effective dose for raw garlic is a single segment of a garlic bulb (called a clove), eaten with meals two or three times a day.

I eat more than enough pure garlic already but I can give this a try. I'm looking up reviews and side effects now.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had high cholesterol for over 10 years - in the 220s. I made several dietary changes - switching to a low fat, high carb diet. I didn't go plant based because I can't. I have intolerances to gluten, dairy, soy, legumes, oats, and eggs plus regular allergies to psyllium and hemp.

I also have an autoimmune disease which causes protein wasting so I need to eat high protein. I cannot get enough protein eating plant based so most of my protein comes from chicken and fish. I eat a lot of whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, and buckwheat. I also eat a lot of potatoes and starches.

At my last checkup, my total cholesterol was 132, my fasting blood sugar had dropped from prediabetic to normal, and my blood pressure was 90/60.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    How concerned was your doctor about your cholesterol results? What did they say?

Did your doctor recommend any follow up testing? Did they talk about treatment options--exercise, diet, medication, anything? Your doctor needs to give you information about how to address any medical problems, not just give you test results with no context or discussion. If your doctor didn't give you any additional information, I would make a follow up appointment to discuss your lab work and what to do next.

I need a new doctor. Cause she never really followed up with me about it afterwards.

I agree! I don’t know what your health care situation is like, but are you able to just pick another doctor? If so, make an appointment soon and make sure the old doctor sends them all your records.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    julq3weyvizs.jpg

Here are my results.

It does not look all that bad to me (of course I am not a Doc). Low trigs, low VLDL and your HDL is in range. Our panels look almost identical except my HDL is in the high 80's last time I had blood done.
  • AquaMeow
    Options

I agree! I don’t know what your health care situation is like, but are you able to just pick another doctor? If so, make an appointment soon and make sure the old doctor sends them all your records.

Yup your right! I gotta check under my health insurance
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

Definitely, please take a look at your insurance and get a doctor who will answer all your questions. I think that will help your peace of mind a lot. Since you have a lot of food allergies, I'd also get a referral to a registered dietitian while you're at it, so you can talk with a professional about your nutritional needs.
  • AquaMeow
    Options

Definitely, please take a look at your insurance and get a doctor who will answer all your questions. I think that will help your peace of mind a lot. Since you have a lot of food allergies, I'd also get a referral to a registered dietitian while you're at it, so you can talk with a professional about your nutritional needs.

You are absolutely right and I'm doing that now as we speak since it's the 4th of july weekend coming up.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    These are questions for your doctor!

There are different types of cholesterol.

Not all are 'bad'. (Apparently, the stuff you get from eggs is now regarded as 'good'.)

You need help interpreting your blood results to see if the bad stuff is high enough to be a problem. Then you need advice on which foods might help and which might hinder.

You might actually need cholesterol lowering drugs if the cholesterol is the 'bad' stuff (even if your diet is perfect. )
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I guess the question is the food options: what should I be eating if I dont know what to eat without dying?

Has your doctor referred you to a registered dietician yet? I would start there along with another battery of tests for allergies and full disclosure of the results to the RD.

Death is pretty permanent :(

So much this.

Also--your roulette game with your allergens might actually be contributing to your cholesterol issues... See an RD. Figure out foods that are safe to eat that might help your cholesterol levels. Live happy.
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I guess the question is the food options: what should I be eating if I dont know what to eat without dying?

Has your doctor referred you to a registered dietician yet? I would start there along with another battery of tests for allergies and full disclosure of the results to the RD.

Death is pretty permanent :(

So much this.

Also--your roulette game with your allergens might actually be contributing to your cholesterol issues... See an RD. Figure out foods that are safe to eat that might help your cholesterol levels. Live happy.

You are correct but I did find out it was genetic- my high cholesterol levels